• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Beer Appreciation Thread

Arrived home, my computer is stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen.

*sigh*

It appears whatever I fixed 3 weeks ago is still broken...

I'll be pounding this if I can't get it working:
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Edit: It's checking my disk. 4 file record segments are unreadable, so far.

Zamros said:
I'll be pounding this if I can't get it working. 

I'd recommend drinking it instead. 

Not normally a whiskey drinker, but my dad bought me some Glen Fiddich miniatures for Christmas. 12, 14 and 15 years aged Single Malts. I assume that's good(ish?).

hqdefault.jpg

It seems to be kinda sorta working again, although it's running painfully slow. Not sure if it's the cable connecting the hdd to the motherboard or what.

I neeeed an ssd.

So the whisky will be savoured and enjoyed, after all!

:D

Edit: Glen Fiddich is baby's first single malt. (It's good, but quite common). If you can find them, I highly recommend Benromach and Bruichladdich. Avoid anything blended (except as a mixer) and everything that spells Whisky with ann 'e'.

T
The Scribbling Man said:
I'm just about ready to shoot my computer over this rendering issue I'm having, so I've decided to crack out a beer and watch a film.

Anyone here into good beer? What's a good style for soothing your frustrations? 

I've got a Cornish Dubbel, Smoked Brown, Stout, Autumn Ale, Rye IPA...etc

As a Brit, have you ever been to the Rake? It’s a little pub in Borough Market. But it has a wide selection of U.S. craft beers. I brought some Brits in there to try some of our beer because their impression was we only brewed Bud, Miller, and Coors.

Guinness Milk Stout is my number one at the moment.

aef6495d392c85e80e2536fd2ccf5b38.jpg

Moe_Syzlak said:
As a Brit, have you ever been to the Rake? It’s a little pub in Borough Market. 

I've never heard of it! Was brought up in Cornwall and currently living in Coventry. I'll have to look for it next time I'm in London. I've had a fair few U.S. beers though, since the shop I mentioned import all sorts of different beers from around the world - bottled, canned and on tap. 

Are there any particular American beers you favour? I used to be into Anchor Brewing a while back, though I've since moved on. Liberty Ale was quite a revelation for me at the time though. Sierra Nevada is one of the more common American Craft ales to be found around the UK. 

TM2YC said:
Guinness Milk Stout is my number one at the moment.

I didn't even know they did a milk Stout! Guinness sometimes get a bad wrap, being a mass distributor, but I've always had a soft spot for them.

This was the most recent beer I had: 

abt12.jpg

I'm not generally big on quads, but this is a classic, often claimed to be one of the best beers ever. As with most that claim such a title, it doesn't quite live up to the hype. But it's easy to see how it gained its reputation, since it balances all the stylistic qualities perfectly. Not mind blowing by any means, but tasty and satisfying.

Sierra and Anchor are more common for sure. Sierra makes  good beer and has limited editions which I characterize as great. Most of my favorite beers are hard to get in most of the U.S. so I’m guessing you’d be hard pressed to get them there. When I was at the Rake they had Great Divide Yeti Stout on Tap. I can’t imagine those bottles are available in the UK.

The Scribbling Man said:
This was the most recent beer I had: 

abt12.jpg

I'm not generally big on quads, but this is a classic, often claimed to be one of the best beers ever. As with most that claim such a title, it doesn't quite live up to the hype. But it's easy to see how it gained its reputation, since it balances all the stylistic qualities perfectly. Not mind blowing by any means, but tasty and satisfying.

I like that one, but prefer Trappistes Rochefort 10. And that’s for easy to get beers. We won’t go into Westvleteren 12.

Moe_Syzlak said:
When I was at the Rake they had Great Divide Yeti Stout on Tap. I can’t imagine those bottles are available in the UK.

It's in stock at my local right now! 

http://www.beergonzo.co.uk/buy/beer...al-stout-p2355?r=/search/?l=55&d=1&z=15&b=239

As I said, it's a damn good shop/venue. Arguably one of the best in the country, despite it's size.

There's actually quite a lot of American beer in stock at the moment:

http://www.beergonzo.co.uk/buy/beer/united-states-of-america-usa-l55

Cool. Yeti is decent stout. Not my favorite, but good. What are your preferred styles? I can suggest things in every style and you can check availability.

The Scribbling Man said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
When I was at the Rake they had Great Divide Yeti Stout on Tap. I can’t imagine those bottles are available in the UK.

It's in stock at my local right now! 

http://www.beergonzo.co.uk/buy/beer...al-stout-p2355?r=/search/?l=55&d=1&z=15&b=239

As I said, it's a damn good shop/venue. Arguably one of the best in the country, despite it's size.

There's actually quite a lot of American beer in stock at the moment:

http://www.beergonzo.co.uk/buy/beer/united-states-of-america-usa-l55

That does seem to be a good shop. Maybe things have changed in the UK since I was last there eight years ago. Then, people were rather dismissive of the notion that there could be any good American beer.

Moe_Syzlak said:

That does seem to be a good shop. Maybe things have changed in the UK since I was last there eight years ago. Then, people were rather dismissive of the notion that there could be any good American beer.

Things have definitely changed. Although it will probably depend on what crowd you're in. I still come across people who are dismissive that there can be any good beer - period. Still living in a world of fosters and Carlsberg etc. And my dad still raises his eyebrows at the notion of any beer above 6% ABV! 

Anyone who is familiar with the Craft Beer scene though would be mad to badmouth American beer, since the most popular style in the UK is probably American Pale Ale. There are quite a few UK beers that take inspiration from that style and use the same hop varieties.

I love a good craft pale, and there's no style I dismiss, but I'm generally more of a fan of stouts, sours and saisons than anything. 

On American beer I will just say, Cascade Noyaex is fantastic. I've also had great beer from Founder's (Backwoods bastard, KBS, All Day IPA), Jester King (Nocturne Chrysalis), Hoppin' Frog (Barrel Aged BORIS) and American Solera (Foeder Cerise).

I've heard very good things about Cigar City, but haven't got round to trying any yet.

Current tap list at my local watering hole:

Screenshot_2018_04_23_14_57_48_621.jpg

I'll probably pop in and try Jai Alai (14) sometime soon.

Cascade is about a mile from my house. Drive by it everyday.  Their sours are great I just can’t drink them often as they give me heartburn. On your tap list, I’d suggest trying Ten Fidy if you’re a fan of stouts.

Y'all want a good cheap beer? Simpler Times from Trader Joe's.

Back
Top Bottom