• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Beer Appreciation Thread

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Honestly, I think I've dumped every sour I've tried. They find their way into the "mystery" bags sometimes, and I can't resist a good mystery.

The "sour" side of beer is a broad category. On one end of the spectrum, there's the gimmicky crap that can hardly qualify as beer. Stuff like Vault City is so packed full of sugar and fruit that it can hardly even be categorised as sour either, but for some reason that's what it gets marketed as. On the other end of the spectrum, you have Belgian lambic beer, which can be legitimately excellent (it's a real shame it often gets dumped under the same umbrella because it's miles apart). And then there's some great mixed fermentation stuff around as well. It's not going to be for everyone, but I would try not to dismiss all sour beer based on a lot of what you'll commonly find. If you're based in America, then Cascade brewing make some absolutely fantastic tasting beer in the sour range.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're based in America, then Cascade brewing make some absolutely fantastic tasting beer in the sour range.
I got hooked on sours early, and I love them.
But as I get older, my acid reflux can't handle more than one. I miss them so. There were some amazing (and terrible) ones from socal that were short runs, but I ended up sticking with a lot of belgium ones just for that better sugar balance you mention. I think my bar just has "stupid silly sour" on tap still, the selection has dwindled a ton.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
636041.jpg

To be clear, the Voodoo Ranger I had was called Fruit Force. I’m currently drinking a standard Voodoo Ranger (probably shouldn’t be) and it’s perfectly good, though again, not amongst my preferred IPAs. I have another can of the Fruit Force but it will stay in the fridge until I have a guest that’s interested in it.

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Fruit Punch IPA" Yikes

Re: I&G, it's definitely better. They even seem to have crammed in more of that whisky flavour somehow. Still strangely quiet about the beer they used. I mean, what is it? What's their starting point? You can't just put "beer" on the label and walk away...

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been trying to drink more lager recently, partly to be refamiliarise myself what I'm selling. I know lager is great when done well, and I loved familiarising myself with Pilsners during a trip to the Czech republic years back, but I still tend to dismiss the style most of the time and reach for a hoppier brew on a hot day. The other day I had an Augustiner Edelstoff which just tasted like perfection, honestly. I prefer it to the Augustiner Hell. Last night I had Samuel Smith's Organic Lager, which is also a very nice brew.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just did a 15-day trip through Chile, Argentina, and Brazil, and was surprised to find that not only do the latter two have a thriving "cerveza artesenal" scene, but that sours are quite common. I have found so far that in Central America, it's mostly light beers, lots of lagers, pilsners, and "tropical" IPAs. In South America, so far it's pretty rare to find a stout, porter, or richer taste like a Belgian, Lambic, or anything Imperial, but there are often multiple sours on the menu!

Odder yet...I actually liked many of them? They tend to be less "sour" than "tart", and the fruitiness is at the front more so than the carbonation and yeast and funk of many North American sours I've tried....and struggled to finish. I'd recommend searching out some South American cervecerias if you get a chance to order any online!

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sitting in a pub, eating cheese, drinking a beer, and there's an awful lot of Bjork playing in the background. It's funny how you've never heard a song before and then you hear it everywhere. @futon88 , your edit is responsible for making me overly conscious of that lady's presence :p

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have noticed Bjork muzak. Also, I notice how much they play Human Behaviour in stores and restaurants. I never noticed before. @futon88, you should get some kind of royalties.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've not listened to much of Bjork's discography beyond the sublime 'New World' but I got a +1 to one of her concerts about 15-years ago where she was shooting webs out her fingers across the audience like Spider-Man. She can do no wrong after that! :LOL:

In other news I just tried some of these:

s-l1200.webp

They are like Lindor that smell strongly of Guinness. I can't decide if that's a good thing because I like Guiness, or if they're like chocolates you picked up off the floor of a pub.

Last edited:

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Holy...! Those are some pretty intense pastry stouts. I do love the theme, but it feels like these are going to be limited time only, if you know what I'm saying.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Holy...! Those are some pretty intense pastry stouts. I do love the theme, but it feels like these are going to be limited time only, if you know what I'm saying.

Yes, they've just come in where I work ready for a launch. Got to try some on tap earlier. Very expensive, very strong. Not bad at all, but I'm not a huge fan of beer that adds tons of additional stuff to make it taste like a dessert. Relatively balanced compared to some of that ilk and it still tastes like beer, which is a plus.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love a rich stout, but there's only so much I can take before the taste buds get overwhelmed.
Those are ideal if you do a flight and work up, like Pilsner->Pale Ale->Hazy IPA->Sweet Stout-->Imperial/Barrel-Aged Stout.
Actually, I think I just made plans for the weekend...

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm on a work trip this week and while the trip itself has been a pain, I've been able to visit a bunch of new breweries which has been nice.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tucson is cool! I used to have to go to places like Dayton, Ohio and Columbus, Indianan.

Top Bottom