• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote NOW for January FEOTM!

Bedknobs and Broomsticks - With a Flair

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The very first film I had ideas to do a fanedit of, but delayed by a few years!

Another film I loved as a child, not knowing that there was a substantially longer version than the 117-minute theatrical cut most viewers are familiar with. Some 24 minutes had been removed prior to the 1971 wide release, and all but two minutes (footage for the song "A Step in the Right Direction" being missing) was restored for the 25th anniversary in 1996, this has been released on home video along with the shorter cut (albeit only in the form of incomplete deleted scenes on the blu-ray).

While it is nice to see the longer version, which contains some items I think should never have been deleted. it is not without problems. Some audio elements were missing, necessitating redubbing with either twenty-five years older cast members (Miss Price and Mr Jelk) or new performers (Professor Browne, Mrs Hobday and the children) to varying degrees of success. I am also not too fond of the way the restored song "With a Flair" is performed, a bit anemic and stop-start throughout.

Fortunately some of these aspects are readily rectified, the worst of the redubbing (mostly the children, sorry) has been removed here and I have recut "With a Flair" to the much more sprightly version from the soundtrack album. With the assistance of a BBC broadcast of the theatrical cut much more of the German dialogue (some of it quite funny) is presented in subtitles styled as closely to the original as I can manage.

Based on a 720p digital download from iTunes (easier to remove scenes than add them to the blu-ray, also means there is less quality variation), total of about 1 minute removed for a runtime of 138 minutes.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Based on a 720p digital download from iTunes (easier to remove scenes than add them to the blu-ray, also means there is less quality variation), total of about 1 minute removed for a runtime of 138 minutes.
Doesn't it download in 1080p?

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The way I made the downloaded video “useable” (that I’ve completely forgotten, was over three years ago) required an old version of iTunes and I think this restricted the resolution. But thanks for the prompt, had resigned myself to this file because of the rather convoluted process. I’ll have a look again to see if I missed something or if a new method is available to get 1080p, need to confirm that the film exists on iTunes in that resolution first!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Confirmed
bkbb.png

You need to set your downloading settings to 1080p in your preferences settings (Ctrl+,). If you don't select "download fullsize HD videos" it downloads in 720p. Tuneskit and similar programs do require an older version of itunes (v 12.9.0.67 or older), but the files still download in full 1080p.

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The version you have there is the shorter cut, had a look myself and that is the only option that comes up when searching the film on iTunes. If I remember correctly the longer cut was only accessible through an old version of the software, would need to check on a computer I haven't got access to right now.

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Am having a look making a version of the edit based mainly off the theatrical blu-ray as opposed to iTunes download, advantages include: 1080p (as opposed to 720p) resolution; higher bitrate and a sharper/ cleaner picture. The main issue with this is that not all the extra extended edition material is included in the deleted scenes, necessitating using digital download material to fill in gaps ranging from a few seconds to nearly a minute (pushing the bed from Portobello Road to the bookman's hideout).

Very annoyingly, the deleted scenes also fade in and out from black and cannot be used whole, is it generally preferred for the transitions between different sources to occur at cuts between shots or to cut in the middle of shots and thus maximise use of the better available (deleted scenes) footage?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very annoyingly, the deleted scenes also fade in and out from black and cannot be used whole, is it generally preferred for the transitions between different sources to occur at cuts between shots or to cut in the middle of shots and thus maximise use of the better available (deleted scenes) footage?
#staff
IFDB standards would require seamless transitions between scenes. Most often it is the audio that is most important in these scenarios. If the transition sounds right, the cut usually works.

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Audio transitions are not much of an issue, generally use the digital download soundtrack throughout since I edited from it before, just the image quality variation that is giving me a headache!

Top Bottom