• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

BD / AVCHD differences

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just wanted to be clear that if I said anything in this thread, it would make zero sense. ;)

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kevinicus said:
I haven't had any issues with the PS3 playing animated menus on an AVCHD.

Really?? Am I high thinking that it won't play AVCHD menus? testing....

Still no. No menu. It just shows as a data disc on the PS3, but menu displays fine on my computer with the same disc. I have heard ruminations of work-arounds to solve this issue but haven't really explored it or confirmed their validity. Please teach me if you know how to get this to work Kevinicus.

Regarding animated vs. still menus, it doesn't make sense to me that a device would be particular to playback of still vs animated. Or if it is, then it probably has the same issue with the same menu on a bluray disc (unless some wacky vender specifically programmed their device to act in this biased fashion toward AVCHD. The only question should be whether AVCHD menus will or won't be supported by your device at all.

I do have an older ps3, but it doesn't seem like that should matter...

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didnt do anything special. Just used Nerovision to create the menu and output the AVCHD and it's worked for me so far.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Huh, it sounds like this may be yet another DVD Architect problem. Processing... Processing... Brain hurts....

[Reboot Sequence initiated]

Hello. Would you like to play a nice game of Tic-tac-toe?

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if authored correctly it will show as "AVCHD" on a ps3.
'data disc' is just that - a disc w/ data on it, which shows up if i just burn a m2ts file on a disc.

i've never used nero but if i were to make a avchd or bd file structure w/ tsmuxer alone and burn that i get "data disc" however, when i use multiavchd i get "avchd" under the image on the PS3.

also, menus do work but only when the ps3 reads the disc as a proper avchd.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, it must just be a DVD Architect problem regarding PS3 menus, which is not surprising. It has many kinks with HD content. I just downloaded AEmovieguy's harry potter AVCHD, which was made using DVD Architect but then patched for compatibility. I'll check that out at some point this weekend and see if the menu plays on my PS3.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
depends on the bitrate/encode/resolution - you can fit just about any length movie but the quality is where it will vary. at the end of the day you are compressing a 25-50 GB disc down to a 5-9 GB disc.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i own my copies, just wanting a dvd copy
so the blu ray can sit on shelf and not get worn out.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
blu ray doesn't wear out. The only thing touching the readable surface is a laser.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I just wanted to be clear that if I said anything in this thread, it would make zero sense. ;)

I just want to be clear that anything I have said in this thread is at least 50% bullshit. AVCHD is fucking confusing.

AEmovieguy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
I just want to be clear that anything I have said in this thread is at least 50% bullshit. AVCHD is fucking confusing.

For Captain's AVCHD, I followed your encoding settings in MEgui, changed the extension from .x264 to .avc after encode, created the disc in DVD Architect, prepared as an .iso, mounted the .iso with virtual clone drive, opened the mounted .iso to view the folders, copied the folders to my hard drive, navigated to the index.bdmv file in the /BDMV directory of the copied folders, used AVCHD-patcher to create a 0100 (AVCHD) index.bdmv from the original 0200 (Sony Blu-ray) index.bdmv, deleted the "old" index.bdmv file, and created a new UDF 2.5 .iso in ImgBurn.

The resulting AVCHD and its menu functions played correctly in both of my standalone Blu-ray players (one of them a second generation unit).

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
blu ray doesn't wear out. The only thing touching the readable surface is a laser.

well there was CD rot - I assume theres DVD rot - and if that exists why wouldnt there be bluray rot?

I personally love bluray for alot of reasons but one of the best little touches has to be the anti-scratch coating. I can buy a used bluray [best example being a ps3 game from a used place like gamestop where the previous owner was a snot nosed jerk that likely left the disc laying loose] wipe off the finger prints/visible marks with my shirt [no need for a super smooth lint free micro-fiber cloth] and it looks and plays like new.

so yeah - buy the bluray and leave the dvd's on your shelf. they'll be just fine. until they rot ;)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
i own my copies, just wanting a dvd copy
so the blu ray can sit on shelf and not get worn out.

jswert, it isn't a record or cassette tape. It won't wear out with play. If you have the blu-ray and a bluray player, just use that, it will save you a lot of time, and look great

Top Bottom