• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Bd-25 discs and suggested max movie length.

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Short version i have the marvel origin's trilogy about finished. I know how to and have made BD's for the individual movies. But my question is could a BD handle 6-7 hours of video plus a menu and have decent quality.

They are in 1080p as of now. I imagine going to 720 saves space. On a smallville bd disc there are 6 episodes

That's about 4.5 hours at balls to the wall 1080p, menus and extra's.

So you HD people have any advice?

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are the Smallville discs BD25s? Usually commercial releases are done on 50s. Anyways, for the sake of discussion, let's crunch some numbers, shall we?

I encoded Silent Hill: Homecoming's video at 18 mbps, with a running time of 1 hour, 21 minutes and 38 seconds. That works out to 4898 seconds, and a filesize of 7.35 GB in m2ts format. So! Let's call that 1.5 hours at 7.5 gigs for simplicity. 1.5 divides into 7 (4.6666666666666666...) times, which I will round to 4.7. Multiply that times 7.5 which gives you approximately 35.25 gb, not counting audio and menu. So, the short and long answers are no, not unless you encode at a lower rate, between 10-15 perhaps. Still nice looking, but not as high definition as the format is capable of.

My suggestions? Encode each one on its own disc and release it as a "set." That way you can get maximum quality for each one. :D

I suck at math, so my numbers might be a bit off, but treat the numbers as a ballpark.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What he said. They don't necessarily have to fill the BD, but 6 hours of HD on s BD25 would not look good.

Top Bottom