• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Batman: Year One (1080p HD Batman Begins)

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 9 stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

PaulisDead2221

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
batman_year_one-hc.jpg

BATMAN: YEAR ONE

what kind of fanedit: TF
tagline: Batman. Who he is and how he came to be.
original film name: Batman Begins
new film name : Batman: Year One
film studio name : Warner Bros/DC Comics
edit crew name : PaulisDead2221
Date Original Film Was Released : 15 June 2005
Date Edit Was Released : February 2008
Original Runtime : 140 min
New Runtime : 61 min
Amount of time Cut : 79 min

Fanedit details:

The first to be released in HD,this is an edit of Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins into a loose adaptation of the comic Batman: Year One, by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli. The film now takes place entirely in Gotham City, over the course of one year, in which Bruce Wayne gains his early experience as the caped crusader.

The point was to put more focus on the parts directly adapted from the Frank Miller graphic novel while putting the mystery and mystique back into Batman's origins. Many people praise Christopher Nolan's attempt at creating an entirely realistic and logical approach to the Batman legend. Sometimes, I felt the filmmakers spent so much time on the exposition of the premise, that the entire thing became entirely too real. David Mazzucchelli wrote

"Once a depiction veers toward realism, each new detail releases a torrent of questions that exposes the absurdity at the heart of the genre. The more 'realistic' super heroes become, the less believable they are."With this in mind, I set out to cover the story in the fog of the obscure absurdity to the premise of which it generates from, creating a realistic, but still believable super hero film. The viewer is asked to accept much more about the premise than is given, and close their mind to the questions that inevitably come up once a premise has become too real. As such, a variety of sequences are cut.

The scenes in which Bruce spends years in China learning ninjitsu (Chinese ninjutsu apparently), the time he spends putting together his costume and arsenal, Bruce's time spent with Lucious Fox, are all deleted. The resulting atmosphere is very similar to that of Burton's Batman, in which instead of getting an hour of needless explanation of an idea we've accepted since 1939, we get right to Batman's first few shaky months in the fight on crime, his building relationship with James Gordon, and the growing tension between him and the police department.

Bruce Wayne as a character has been reduced to a fa?ade. It is edited so the only time you ever see him open his mouth, he's in super douche-bag mode, playing up his rich and spoiled brat routine. In the comic, the readers only ever see Bruce when he is playing the boy billionare to throw off Gordon, while other times see him in complete silence in contemplation and reverie--the film now reflects this portrayal.

Ducard is cut. His part in the second half of the film was out of place once his part in the first half was eliminated. The attack on Gotham is no longer planned and executed by the League of Shadows, but by Scarecrow and his associates. His character has gained screen-time in the now hour-long film.

In addition, the cheesy parts are cut. Some annoying moments with Katie Holmes have been trimmed, the very clich? incompetent cop reactions during the Tumbler chase scene have been removed, and many other changes have been made to provide a loose, but faithful interpretation of Frank Miller's work.

DISC 1 (The HD Version):
Video: Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile (2 pass VBR (Average/Peak bitrate)) [1920 x 1080 / 23.976 fps / 7335 Kb/s / Peak 15000 Kb/s / Peak BufferWindow 5000 ms]
Audio: Windows Media Audio 9.2 Lossless (1 pass VBR (Constant quality)) [VBR Quality 100, 48 kHz, 5.1 channel 24 bit VBR]

DISC 2 (The DVD Version):
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1 aspect ratio)
Audio: 5.1 Surround (track 1)
Audio: 5.1 Surround (track 2)

I've just watched the preliminary cut on my friend's 40 inch set, the picture quality is amazing and the film fits on a single layer DVD-R. I will do one more encode in order to clean up some extra frames, fix some editing spots, etc. But it should be online within the week. It was great editing a film that is at its core so stylistically brilliant, and provides great source material for a true fan edit by a true fan. If enough people are interested I may post something about how I was able to manage editing in HD, so other edits like this can follow. It really pays off to go the extra mile and source and edit in HD, and it's something I hope comes into full stream in the fanediting community.

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
look forward to this!

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
this is a great concept, but why does the hidef release have a low quality 2.0 mp3 audio? that seems contradictory...

sladetwc

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the Hi-Def release is a WMV... maybe that's why it's like that? That's the only explanation I can think of...

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sladetwc said:
the Hi-Def release is a WMV... maybe that's why it's like that? That's the only explanation I can think of...
Crap... hope not.
(for the record, I hate WMV)

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN said:
sladetwc said:
Crap... hope not.
(for the record, I hate WMV)

you and me both.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll look into making it a Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD downloadable image.

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ghostcut said:

you know, you are just to DAMN funny,not!

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dark jedi said:
Ghostcut said:

you know, you are just to DAMN funny,not!

im pretty sure he was being serious as well. no harm in trying at least.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ooh this will be interesting... kinda like deciding on an 1080p format around here...

i mean we have other formats in the bag (dvd, 480p encodes, etc.)

PaulisDead2221

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The reason behind the "lesser-fi" sound is that that profile is the only profile supported for playback on the XBox360. If TMPG supported multiple audio tracks, then I could have a 5.1 for computer playback, and one for 360 playback. I can include a 5.1 .ac3 in the folder that can be picked separate of the WMV in media player classic.

I would like to audio to be 5.1. Do other methods of playback on high definition televisions allow for 5.1 audio?--like PS3 or others? I only know of playback on 360 and PS3.

twistd101

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
At the moment, the 360 only allows 2.0 audio for WMV HD playback. Why? Well, it's one of those many "Why Microsoft, why!?"-moments. It's just how it is. So the HD release is geared toward 360, therefore the settings have to be just so, hence the MP4 audio @ 96VBR. I mean, he did put the 5.1 mix in a separate folder... ;)

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah. Stupid Microsoft.

Ah well, it still looks fine, I might just provide both mixes on the disc for the hell of it.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah i just did a bit of research on this.

wmv/vc1 support is kinda lame right now, but ps3 will support x264+ac3 in a variety of ways (m2ts, vob, ts, mpeg containers) while the xbox360 will only support x264 with 2.0 audio

i'm sure this limitation will be fixed with future firmware updates from microsoft, tho.

perhaps the best way to do this is to do the x264+ac3 5.1 release (which is supported on the ps3 and many other standalone BR/HDDVD units see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_de ... MPEG-4_AVC ) and those using the xbox can reencode the audio (or perhaps even have a seperate track for them to mux).

also, BD-5 or BD-9 is an option as well: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=134402

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ps3 doesnt support x264

PaulisDead2221

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/12/ps3-update-brin.html

Some quick research, many claim PS3 supports x264. I have no way to test this.

Hmm...here's a quote from Xbox.com on the support for VC-1 WMVs

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/digitalmedia/videoplaybackfaq.htm#h264

Q: What does the Xbox 360 console support for WMV (VC-1)?

A: The Xbox 360 console supports the following for WMV (VC-1):

* File extensions: .wmv
* Containers: ASF
* Video profiles: WMV7 (WMV1), WMV8 (WMV2), WMV9 (WMV3), VC-1 (WVC1 or WMVA) in simple, main, and advanced up to level 3
* Video bit rate: 15 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 ? 1080 at 30 fps. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.
* Audio profiles: WMA7/8, WMA9 Pro (stereo and 5.1), WMA Lossless
* Audio max bit rate: No restrictions. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.

The supported stereo low-fi files are in reference to h264 video files, but if I built the profile for VC-1, we'd be in business...now I just need to find out how to get TMPG to specifiy VC-1...ooo and I need to find out how to embed artwork :)!

[edit] wait a second...i guess this means I was already using VC-1?

Top Bottom