• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Batman v Superman: No Justice

reeseevans

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Note: This post contains spoilers for the plot of "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice". This fan edit retains most of the additional violence from the Ultimate Edition and should be considered R-rated. The latest revision (V3) was uploaded on January 2nd 2017, and should be considered final.

NO JUSTICE is a fan edit of "Batman v. Superman: Ultimate Edition" that refocuses the narrative on its central conflict between the two iconic heroes, intended to be more accessible to a wider audience.

SUMMARY:
  • 1 hour 46 minutes running time before credits,
  • All Wonder Woman / Justice League / Doomsday / Darkseid / Kryptonian ship scenes cut,
  • Batman's kill count all but eliminated,
  • Less navel-gazing by Superman,
  • Lex Luthor not so distracting,
  • Bolder visuals.
CONTACT ME:
Disclaimer: Please show consideration for the movie's creative team and do not request a link to "Batman v. Superman: No Justice" if you don't legally own a copy of "Batman v. Superman: Ultimate Edition". "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice" and all related elements therein are trademarks of Warner Bros. and DC comics, and are not my intellectual property. I do not seek and will not accept remuneration for this fan edit; it is solely for the purpose of entertainment.

To comply with fanedit.org policy, I cannot provide public download links on this forum, so please contact me privately via the following options:
E-mail: reeseevans[at]protonmail[dot]com

Private Message (registration required):
Reddit: HERE
Fanedit.org: HERE
INTENTION:
NO JUSTICE refocuses "Batman v. Superman" on its central conflict between Man and God. All aspects of its Dawn of Justice subtitle are excluded: Wonder Woman, the Justice League, Doomsday, Darkseid and the Kryptonian ship. These omissions create a more coherent and accessible story, intended for a wider audience.

I disagreed with Batman's attitude towards killing and reduced this aggressively, while retaining a sense of brutality about this jaded veteran Dark Knight. His misguided commitment to murdering Superman is more dramatically effective if nobody else has died by his hand.

Certain interactions between Superman and other characters are removed to make him seem less mopy and hopeless, and further depict Clark as the "other" in a world that cannot trust him.

Strategic omissions place the emphasis more on Lex Luthor's misdeeds than his mannerisms. There are also other minor cuts (detailed in full below) that help to create a lean 106 minutes running time before credits, shaving 69 minutes from the Ultimate Edition.

Visual filters reintroduce some of the lost colour to create a bolder, more comic book inspired image.

Due to the radical nature of the cuts, it goes without saying No Justice will contradict future DCEU content, and as such should be viewed as an isolated sequel to "Man of Steel".
CUTS / AMENDMENTS IN FULL:
  • Metropolis is introduced to the Superman: Bruce's initial phone call to Jack cuts off almost immediately. Why? Because nobody would wait for their employer's permission to leave the office in such dangerous circumstances.
  • Nairomi: The photographer's introduction as Jimmy Olsen. Why? It was a universally unpopular decision to kill off one of Superman's most iconic allies so early.
  • I saw him! I never saw him before: The artificial-looking crawl across the ceiling as Batman escapes from the shotgun-wielding cop. The two cops watching Football. Why? It adds nothing of substance to the narrative.
  • Meeting at LexCorp: The "Metahuman Thesis" and Luthor's negotiations with Senator Barrows in regards to the Kryptonian ship.
  • False God: The reaction scene inside the Daily Planet offices is tightened.
  • Luthor's private meeting with Finch: Luthor's "One if by land, two if by air" comment. Why? For brevity. And Luthor is fairly annoying in this scene.
  • Metropolis Library: Bruce imagines a subtle Joker laugh when he looks at Robin's suit. Clark does not ask a fellow journalist who Bruce Wayne is. Some of Luthor's speech omitted. Diana Prince omitted from this and all future scenes. Bruce's conversation with Clark is slightly tightened. Bruce leaves unhindered with the hacking device, while Clark flies to Mexico.
  • Knightmare, Flash's warning: Omitted.
  • Bruce's demon dream: Omitted. Why? It seemed like one "Martha" scene too many.
  • Clark researches the 'Bat-brand': Omitted. Why? Batman is less culpable for the prison deaths if they are not yet a matter of public record, while Clark still learns about the consequences of the "mark" from Mrs. Santos.
  • Batmobile: Batman tagging the cargo truck, only to pursue the vehicle anyway. By showing the tracking device on the truck afterwards, it can be inferred it was fired from the Batmobile at some point during the chase. The chase is tightened. None of Anatoli Knyazev’s men are killed as a direct result of Batman's actions. Batman's altercation with Superman is tightened.
  • Congressional bombing: Senator Finch does not stutter prior to the explosion. Bruce's inquest about Keefe's disability checks is omitted, with Greg handing him the most recent envelope only. Why? Luthor had been intercepting Keefe's checks for upwards of eighteen months, marking them with anti-Bruce Wayne hate rhetoric / death threats, and returning them. There was not a single discerning employee at Wayne Enterprises who considered bringing this to Bruce's attention in a year-and-a-half, especially after Keefe's very public arrest for a hate crime? Had Bruce known sooner, he would have investigated Keefe, and subsequently Lex himself. This is a clear example of Deus ex machina driving Bruce's enmity of Superman forwards at the expense of his vaunted deductive reasoning.
  • Clark's self-exile: Clark questioning the validity of his actions, and climbing the mountain to speak to his father. Why? Both heroes were at peak-mopiness by this point. Pa Kent's return to reiterate established themes is redundant, and the "She was my world" idea is not relevant to No Justice.
  • Luthor and the Kryptonian ship: All scenes omitted.
  • Bruce's training montage: The revelation of Kryptonite gas deferred until the fight itself. Why? To surprise the audience.
  • Luthor's contractors kidnap Martha: Deferred until Luthor reveals it to Superman. Why? To give Luthor an ace in the hole.
  • Superman saves Lois: Luthor's insistence that Lois' proof of his illegal activities will blow over. Superman’s uncharacteristic “No one stays good in this world” line. "What have you done?" (in reference to Doomsday). Luthor's instruction for Superman to go to the Kryptonian ship after killing Batman. Luthor spoon-feeding us his manipulation of Bruce. Why? It's clear from previous scenes that Luthor was responsible for the bombing, not Keefe.
  • Batman v. Superman: Bruce's reference to Clark’s parents. Why? By acknowledging he has parents- even Kryptonians, Bruce unwittingly humanises Clark, which in turns lessens the impact of the next scene. The line is replaced with, "It's time you learned what it means to be a man." from TV Spot 7, which never made it into the final cut.
  • "Martha": When it hits home to Bruce, we see a few frames of Martha hugging a young Clark. Why? I wanted to emphasise that Bruce is about to murder someone who is for all intents and purposes human, and become no better than the scum that killed his own mother.
  • Batman rescues Martha Kent: There is a tighter transition between the two combat scenes to maintain a sense of climax. By Batman simply leaving to save Martha, it can be inferred Superman is too weak from Kryptonite poisoning to act, and that Batman has vowed to atone for his wrong. Batman killing Knyazev’s men inside the Batwing omitted. The grenade kill is replaced with an unused moment from the final trailer (Batman man-handling a thug into a stack of pallets). When Batman is primed to kill Knyazev, we see a brief reminder of his own mother dying, giving Batman stronger motive to pull the trigger and rescue Martha from the same fate.
  • Luthor's Abomination / the Trinity / Death of Superman: Omitted.
  • Lois and Clark in the tub: Relocated to after Luthor’s arrest, with all references to the incident in Nairomi excluded. Why? It was the most appropriate scene to complete Lois and Clark's stories in the absence of the original ending.
  • Batman threatens Luthor: Luthor's reference to Superman's death and the imminent arrival of Darkseid.
  • Superman’s funeral: Omitted, leaving the rotated painting in Luthor's study as the movie's final shot. Why? It's the obvious ending point in the absence of Doomsday. This, with the amended musical cue, shifts the emphasis away from Darkseid's arrival to Batman's (a mere mortal) own capacity for devilry.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q: Tell me more about the file I'm downloading?
A: There are two versions (a 4.1GB MP4 at 5000kbps, and a 9.8GB MP4 at 12,000kbps). Both versions are widescreen (2.4:1 aspect ratio), 1080p resolution, 23 frames per second, 224kbps stereo audio.

Q: Say, no 5.1 surround sound?
A: One of the most important and onerous aspects of a fan edit is the audio transition from one scene to the next. Nothing screams "amateur" more than a sloppy audio transition. Using Audacity, I needed to occasionally time stretch tracks, insert new SFX and even blend in tracks from the movie's OST. I freely admit I do not know how to make this work in 5.1 surround, or even how to extract the original audio in 5.1. If anyone is willing to school me on this issue, 5.1 surround sound is something I would strongly consider for a future version of the movie.

Q: Should I let my kids watch this?
A: No Justice retains most of the extra violence (and Batfleck's butt [39:08]) from the Ultimate Edition and should be considered R-rated or BBFC 12 if you are from the UK. On the other hand, 99% of Batman's violent killing has been expunged. I would recommend you watch it with them. In my personal opinion, the violence isn't substantially more graphic than the PG-13 version, but with some blood splatters. There are four potentially distressing scenes to consider: a pile of bodies is burnt with a flame thrower [16:34] (the camera doesn't linger on it), an inmate is shivved to death in prison [50:28] (the stab wounds are inflicted below shot), a woman is thrown under an oncoming train [1:07:35] (not graphic), and several un-bloodied corpses are later shown in body bags [1:11:30]. There are a couple of extra curse words, including an F-bomb [49:12] in the Ultimate Edition / No Justice that is not present in the Theatrical release.

Q: Batman v. Superman was really long. How much did you cut?
A: You'll be pleased to know No Justice  (V3)  is over an hour shorter than the Ultimate Edition on which it is based, clocking in at 1 hour and 46 minutes before the credits. It's like you're back in the 90s!

Q: I saw a video that showed Batman's kill count in this movie. Did he really have to kill 3724 guys like that?
A: I know, right? And I'm sorry Mr. Snyder, but when you fire live rounds from your bulletproof car at another vehicle, forcing it to roll and kill everyone inside, that's not "killing by proxy" or self-defence. That's murder. Not even deranged Bat-Miller fired upon people with live rounds. The Dark Knight is famous for going out of his way to not kill bad guys (apart from all those times in the films where he does in fact kill bad guys). In any case, No Justice features only one Bat-kill, and it makes a measure of sense when you see what I've done with it.

Q: We needed more Superman, not less! Why'd you cut him?
A: I side with the argument that the DCEU Superman is too far a departure from his optimistic and inspirational roots. By cutting some of his mopier moments, one views Superman more in the third-person, through Batman's eyes. As with Luthor, the cuts allow us to analyse the character more through his actions than the quirks in his personality.

Q: Dude, you cut all the awesome scenes with Doomsday! What's up with that?
A: Where to begin. The conflict between the heroes is resolved about two thirds of the way through the Ultimate Edition, which makes something of a mockery of the movie's title. With the Trinity's battle against Doomsday omitted, Batman's conflict with Superman is now resolved with only five minutes remaining, preceding a brief denouement and the credits.

Second, a complaint I have about the modern superhero movie is the third act. The film makers raise the stakes, and subsequent destruction, to existential levels time and again. We need smaller stakes, not larger ones (e.g. the excellent Logan). No Justice is a decidedly more personal story.

Q: Okay, you chopped Doomsday, but kept MARTHA?!
A: The failing of the notorious Martha scene is actually attributable to the previous scene. His voice modulator failing, Bruce growls, "I bet your parents taught you that you mean something, that you're here for a reason." Then, he stops fighting when he realises Clark... has a mother? No wonder people read the scene too literally. Bruce does not relent because their mothers share the same name. Like he once was, Bruce realises Clark is powerless to save his mother. He only now comes to understand that, like a soldier in a time of war, he has dehumanised his enemy. By murdering Clark, he was about to become no better than the scum he vowed to defeat in the first place. I am confident the scene plays out better in No Justice.

Q: Why did you keep the Africa scene and all of Lois' boring investigations?
A: Because that's how Luthor gets his comeuppance. For all their machismo, the heroes do little to address the true threat. It is in fact Lois that gets the job done, making her contribution far more meaningful. No Justice subsequently features a main plot (Batman v. Superman) and one subplot (Lois Lane v. Lex Luthor), as opposed to the theatrical cut's SIX subplots (Lois v. Luthor, Diana's hunt for the World War I photo, the Justice League files, the Kryptonian ship, the Trinity vs. Doomsday, foreshadowing Darkseid).

Q: You did a brilliant job with this, son.
A: *sniff* Thanks, mom...
REVIEWS:
"This cut completely changes the film, and how– if this was the version that was canon, the DCEU would be set up moving forward. So even though this edit may not actually matter to the DCEU, it’s still a great reinterpretation of the film we got." -Screen Rant

"This version strips out many unnecessary aspects of the epic. In short, it's a completely new film." -Comicbook.com

"No Justice shifts the narrative to a more concise storyline, and eliminates superfluous fluff and distracting sub-plot contrivances." -Syfy

"If you weren't a fan of what Zack Snyder did, you might like this version a little better." -Geek Tyrant

"It’s a very interesting experiment, and one wonders if the script was originally written to be more similar to this version of Batman v Superman, what would be the result?" -Dark Knight News

"It maintains the tense feel of things going very wrong for the heroes. The consequences have much more of an impact. They don't go off on a different thread and wash away the flavour you just got. Just really good." -Yannemal (Video Review)

IFDB RATING: 9.2/10 (All reviews can be found HERE).

FORUMS: No Justice on The Internet Fan Database (requires registration to leave a review). No Justice on Reddit.
MEDIA:
BLACK ZERO: THE AFTERMATHThe prologue for No Justice is an adaptation of the finale to Man of Steel. The Aftermath features a final farewell to Pa Kent and a troublesome e-mail from Lex Luthor to Bruce Wayne. This may at some point expand into a full Man of Steel fan edit, meant to dovetail into No Justice. It would introduce Bruce Wayne to the narrative during the destructive finale, and leave the circumstances of Jonathan's death a mystery.
NO JUSTICE COMPARISON VIDEO: A comparison video between the original cut and the latest revision of No Justice, with an emphasis on colour saturation.
THE DARK KNIGHT V THE MAN OF STEEL: For a bit of fun, I rearranged the introduction scene to No Justice, with the intention of re-imagining the movie as an adjunct to the "Nolanverse" of Batman movies (hypothetically somewhere between The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, during Batman's supposed retirement).
SUBTITLES: Click HERE for Non-English language subtitle SRT files and installation instructions. Only Spanish is currently accounted for, but I welcome the efforts of any intrepid translators for all other languages.

ARTWORK: The Blu-Ray cover can be viewed below, or click HERE for cover, disk art and source files.

gfHVILL.jpg

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for not actually putting direct links to your edit in your website. Reminder to others: it's against our rules to publicly post direct download links, which includes posting links to other sites than that offer direct downloads. All you'se guys should follow Reese's example if you make a site for your edit(s).

ROSXDO

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds great! Interested to see the conclusion without Doomsday.

reeseevans

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks ROSXDO! PM me if you'd like to watch the final product.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen it and really enjoyed it.  This reminded me of another edit in the works here with a similar ending ("Son of Krypton vs Bat of Gotham") only it pulls further back on  certain elements.  I'm going to try it out on the television today to see if the saturation is ok on the format, though it did'nt bother me in how I viewed it yesterday on my PC.

reeseevans

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will have to look up Son of Krypton vs Bat of Gotham to make notes.

reeseevans

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After some very helpful feedback, I have uploaded a revised version of "Batman v. Superman: No Justice". Please PM me if you would like to be sent a private link. A common criticism of V1 was the aggressive reds in explosions, fire, Superman's cape etc. The comparison screenshots on the website provide an idea of how this has been toned down for V2. There was also a short audio hitch during Lois' scene with Luthor that has now been fixed. No further omissions and alterations to scenes have been made. V2 should be considered the final revision to "No Justice".

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reeseevans said:
After some very helpful feedback, I have uploaded a revised version of "Batman v. Superman: No Justice".

Is this really 100% finished then and submitted to the Academy?

reeseevans

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes indeed. I am 100% happy with the edit now, and have submitted it for inspection. It was only the saturation issue that was of concern to me, so I waited for a variety of feedback before addressing it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit submitted for Academy preview. Thread moved.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I read on his webpage he made a third version...was this submitted?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You'll find your answer posted in this very thread.

reeseevans

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, it's in the system. Just waiting for someone from the academy to get back to me for links. In the mean time, I made a few minor tweaks to tighten it up.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good to hear mate. I loved what I saw of your early version, I hope we can get more BVS edits approved here before long

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reeseevans said:
Yeah, it's in the system. Just waiting for someone from the academy to get back to me for links. In the mean time, I made a few minor tweaks to tighten it up.

Go on then, I'll give it a watch for the Academy :) .  I've been doing some MOS editing this weekend, so I'm in the mood for a BvS watch through... and the brevity of the edit's runtime is a plus (Even if no-Wonder Woman is a minus for me personally). PM me when you are ready, thanks.

Your current and past comments about making several rounds of "minor tweaks" suggests a good attention to detail.

reeseevans

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool, will render and upload the latest version onto MEGA for you shortly. If it's any consolation, Wonder Woman is in the edit *very* briefly (the library fundraiser scene).

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I watched the edit, and the editing seems fantastic.  You did a great job of putting the film into Simply, though, the colour correction is way off.  For me, even though the film didn't have a perfect colour timing, it was pretty good looking and its washed out colours were in theme with the film.  Although the colour orange is pretty dominant in some scenes in the original too, here it almost glaring.  At times the scenes are timed correctly, and the skins are skin colour, at others they are orange, just like Lois' hair; where the police's torch should be blue it is now electric blue; the colours of Superman's suit are in my personal opinion too bright and concentrated.  I very much like how you edited the whole film, and how you removed the heavy references to the soon-to-come Justice League, and the story is cohesive and develops in a natural way.  I only have a few nitpicks: 
In the original I hated the Granny's peach tea scene at court, and firmly believe it should have been removed.  In the same way, I do not like Wallace's "I cannot even piss standing up" but helps make him appear more miserable and can live with that. 
I still believe the Batman and Luthor scene in prison to be unnecessary, but here it does gain meaning.  It would have been lovely to hear the violin-lead "The Red Capes Are Coming" on top of the shot of the painting before the ending of the film, it would have contrasted beautifully with the film's end credits music.  
The very last thing I didn't like were the omission of Batman and Superman's farewell, which rounded out Batman and Superman's arc "together" in the film and helped establish their peace.  In the end, the film becomes a much more intimate story, without a special effects lead ending and without the heavy and unnecessary weight on the formation of a team.  I loved how you maintained the news report and liked the addition of Jared Leto's Joker laugh when Bruce looks at Robin's suit.  Well done, and hope you will do a version 4 where you wash out the colours a bit again, cut the jar of piss from the Senate hearing, (hopefully making the explosion more unexpected) and reinsert the talk between Bruce and Clark before Batman leaves.  
Bravo.

reeseevans

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Many thanks for your honest critique, Canon Editor! I welcome your observations for improvement and will take them under advisement.

In terms of colour, I think I'll await varied feedback (assuming the edit is accepted) before making a decision for V4. It seems to vary somewhat from screen to screen, even within my own household. I sensed this would be the most controversial aspect of my edit, but it's a gamble I'm willing to take unless it proves to be universally unpopular. You've mentioned a couple of examples, but if you could drop me a PM as to which shots were especially distracting for your personal view, that would be much appreciated.

I would have preferred to have kept Batman and Superman's farewell. However, it would suggest Superman was well enough to rescue Martha himself, or at least assist Batman. In the original, he goes to Lex and then fights Doomsday, which of course does not happen in No Justice. Therefore, Supes would be kinda left twiddling his thumbs, so I felt it best to make the inference he was too poisoned by Kryptonite to do anything. As with many fan edits, it's a case of necessity being the mother of invention.

Batman / Luthor, yeah, it felt like a more appropriate final scene than Clark and Lois in the bath, which would have lacked that necessary punch to end the movie. Plus, I liked the Arkham Asylum reference, as this is the only way Luthor would avoid the gas chamber. Initially I tried the original Luthor violin track, but I found there weren't enough seconds to land the theme from when Batman brands the wall to the end of the portrait shot.

The "piss standing up" line is a touch forced by the actor, but I felt this was strong character development. He feels he has been emasculated by Superman to the point he must urinate as women do. As for peach tea, I wouldn't say I was a lover of that inclusion, but I don't dislike it as much as many here. I was more irritated by how much she stuttered, which made the explosion more predictable, so I pared this down. I've seen one or two edits without the peach tea, where the explosion occurs as she's speaking. While quite surprising as you say, it doesn't sit right with me for some reason. Seems a little jarring. I think the peach tea was a reasonably suitable way to conclude the relationship between Lex and the senator. 'I am going to kill Superman, and I don't need you to be alive for me to do it.' It's a symbolic middle finger.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I see where you’re pointing at.  I will send you a PM with all the shots which look off.  I suggest you do, even though it may not seem right, reinsert Batman and Superman’s farewell, as I believe there ade many weirder things in the film, and even though it does create some ambiguity regarding Superman’s impossibility to go or not to save his own mother, it adds to the story and ends it the right way.  As it is we are left without answers, without a definitive closure which does distract, ultimately, from the enjoyment of the edit.  While the scene with Batman and Luthor inside the prison cell does add that punch, the ending needs, I still feel the scene falls flat on its face, and I much prefer Lex calling Steppenwolf (the deleted scene) as a midway softening scene between the climax and the very ending.  What I liked of the film as it was in its original forms was that it had so many variations of itself, and the themes it was trying to touch are so beautiful, but then again the many subplots seemed like one too many, and you do a great job at streamlining the story, that is sure.  As for the ending fight between Batman and Superman, I absolutely continue to not stand the absurd scenes of Batman hitting Superman with the sink, or Batman moving in an overly heavy-weighted way when coming in contact with Kal.  I love that you didn’t touch the resolution “Martha” scene as I have always loved that, and even though the absence of Wonder Woman and Doomsday may hurt the build-up to the Justice League and MOST IMPORTANTLY Superman’s arc in the film, it doesn’t hurt the film.  Unfortunate it is there isn’t an other way to end Superman’s arc.  Well done, once again!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reeseevans said:
I think I'll await varied feedback (assuming the edit is accepted) before making a decision for V4.

The Academy preview process is to check your edit is ready for release. If you already intend to make changes, then you don't think it's ready yourself.

Still, I'll look it over if I have time and give you feedback on the grade at least.

Top Bottom