• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Batman: Under the Red Hood (UA Edit)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Original film name: BATMAN: UNDER THE RED HOOD
Film studio name: Warner Bros
Film release date: 2010
Original runtime: 75 minutes
Fanedit release date: July 2011
New runtime: 71 minutes
Amount of time cut/added: 4 minutes cut

INTENTION:
To take an already great Batman film and tweak it over the line to being more fan-friendly. To hopefully lessen the all-too-obvious spoon-feeding of information.

EDIT DETAILS:
Other than the cut-list, I also re-framed the film to 2:35:1 (maybe 2:20:1. Somewhere in that vicinity) and altered the colors and lighting to suit my tastes. I wanted the shadows to literally be on the verge of swallowing the characters when appropriate. To have the feeling that you never know what could be lurking only feet away. It may feel almost too dark sometimes (hopefully not, but it depends on your settings) but I wanted to get closer to a live action film, where you don’t necessarily see every detail at all times.

One note to picture quality…the original DVD has several places where the transfer is less than perfect. Some edge noise and color banding are often evident. Re-rendering (and the color correction) has made this more obvious in a handful of places. I did what I could to minimize it, but apologies if it is irritating.

CUTLIST
Edits include: (But not limited to)

Replaced the two WB logos (regular shield and animation dept version) with a single longer one.

Removed entire opening sequence for later use. Film starts with ‘mob meeting’ scene, then goes to the opening credits.

Altered animation and dialogue to remove Batman quipping, “No, you’re anything but good” to thugs.

Altered animation and dialogue to remove clumsy exposition between Batman and the thugs about Amazo.

Removed Amazo punching Batman in the chest hard enough to throw him back 50 feet. He now throws him instead.

Altered animation (two shots) so that Batman does not dent a steel container when he slams into it.

Removed Nightwing’s line, “Packs quite a punch for a toaster on steroids, huh?”

Removed more exposition, this time about Nightwing and the previous Robins.

Removed Nightwing and Batman talking about batarang attack on Amazo.

Removed Nightwing’s line, “Did you know he could fly?!” (And fixed animation slightly so that Amazo/Nightwing don’t fly straight through a girder.)

Removed Nightwing asking for (and getting) advice from Batman on how to attack Amazo.

Altered animation and dialogue to remove Nightwing telling Amazo, “This might sting a bit!”

Altered animation and dialogue to remove Nightwing’s line, “Lasers! He’s got lasers!”

Altered animation and dialogue to remove Nightwing’s lines about putty in the eyes/plastique.

Removed Nightwing telling Batman that, “The shots came from a rooftop. A sniper! A good one.”

Removed close up of Jason Todd’s Robin costume.

Removed Red Hood’s line to himself, “Okay then. Nice night for a run.”

Altered animation and dialogue to remove Nightwing’s lines, “He’s very good!” and “We got him!” Also fixed Nightwing’s eyes, which were drawn oddly off-model for one shot.

Altered animation and dialogue to remove Robin’s riddle.

Added to Ra’s flashback/explanation about Bosnia by using the opening sequence of the film. Restructured, and also altered animation to fit several moved pieces of dialogue so that it fits in with the rest of the flashback material. Removed all footage of Batman racing towards the warehouse.

Altered animation of Ra’s entering the Lazarus pit to fix a transparency goof.

Added in orange tinted glass for shot when Jason jumps through them. (To match all the surrounding windows.)

Removed Joker asking where he knows Red Hood from.

When Red Hood holds his knife to Batman’s throat, re-animated to flip orientation of knife to fix continuity.

Altered animation and dialogue to remove Jason’s “We’re both just a couple of walking armories.” And Batman’s “Maybe so…”

Added in missing bathroom tiles during fistfight. (The space was meant for animation purposes but must have been overlooked.)

Altered Batman’s final takedown of Jason: Originally, Batman waits until Jason fires, then (seemingly) dodges the bullet and throws a batarang that somehow sticks in Jason’s gun barrel. Now, Batman instead waits only until he hears Jason cock the gun, then destroys it using some more of the plastique that took down Amazo at the start of the film.

After the explosion, removed Batman finding Joker safe and well in the rubble. Instead, we just hear the echoing, distant laugh of the Joker as the camera pulls back from the destruction. I preferred to only imply that he may have somehow survived rather than showing it blatantly.

Removed Ra’s watching the Gotham news on his jet, and mention of The Joker being returned to Arkham.

During the end credits, added Bill Finger’s name with Bob Kane’s to the “Batman Created By” listing. Where it rightfully should be.

TECHNICAL INFO:
5.1 Upconvert. 2:35:1 aspect ratio. (Or close to. I did not measure the final ratio.) NTSC.

RELEASE INFORMATION:
Single Layer DVD
AVI

SPECIAL FEATURES:
Grayson fan film trailer by John Fiorella
Battle of the Batmans trailer by Black20
Teaser trailer for this fan edit.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the idea of darkening it. It makes me think of the original animated series that was very dark and unique in that it was drawn against all black backgrounds.

Now if only you could get Mark Hamill to do Joker's voice...

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any UA edit has to be worth a watch and I concure with geminigod that darkening it can only be a good thing :)

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
while i enjoy Mark Hamill's Joker, I do like the one in Under the Red Hood about just as much. he sorta reminds me of the Joker from TDK a little bit.

interested to see how the darkening turned out, sounds like something that could be really cool. i'll be taking a look at it later today probably.

hey UA, any plans on taking on any more Bat edits like this?

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
steelio2006 said:
while i enjoy Mark Hamill's Joker, I do like the one in Under the Red Hood about just as much. he sorta reminds me of the Joker from TDK a little bit.
I agree. My original knee-jerk reaction was to wish for Hamill too, but DiMaggio's Joker has really grown on me over time. There are some bits and pieces from him that are just perfect.

interested to see how the darkening turned out, sounds like something that could be really cool. i'll be taking a look at it later today probably.
From various test screenings, I have found it really depends on your own image settings...which bothers me a bit, but at the end of the day I had to do what looked best on my TV. :) (And my original settings were better in my opinion, but they really highlighted the flaws in the transfer, so I had to pull them back a little.)

hey UA, any plans on taking on any more Bat edits like this?
I really want to tear Batman Forever apart, but the lack of a good centre channel has disuaded me three times already. So nothing in the works now, but y'never know. We'll see what Year One is like. ;)

Unrelated, but one thing I forgot to mention in the edit notes, but the reframing I did was not just a simple 'tilt up and down to focus on important parts' routine (although it was mostly that) but also I did a lot of rebuilding of images, adding in new side information so that I didn't have to crop too tightly. With any luck though, this will be invisible to all but the closest scrutiny. :)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
I really want to tear Batman Forever apart, but the lack of a good centre channel has disuaded me three times already.
Just curious, what is the issue with the center channel?

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
I agree. My original knee-jerk reaction was to wish for Hamill too, but DiMaggio's Joker has really grown on me over time. There are some bits and pieces from him that are just perfect.

From various test screenings, I have found it really depends on your own image settings...which bothers me a bit, but at the end of the day I had to do what looked best on my TV. :) (And my original settings were better in my opinion, but they really highlighted the flaws in the transfer, so I had to pull them back a little.)

I really want to tear Batman Forever apart, but the lack of a good centre channel has disuaded me three times already. So nothing in the works now, but y'never know. We'll see what Year One is like. ;)

i have faith in Year One. the trailer for it is pretty awesome. have u thought bout looking at Mask of the Phantasm? or maybe tackling some episodes of TAS together to form a edit?

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Just curious, what is the issue with the center channel?
For what I want to do, I'd need a cleaner centre channel. I've tried all the tricks for clearing out the unwanted audio, but none of them has worked well enough in my opinion. It either ends up with still loud music, or that horrible 'swirling under water' sound effect over all the dialogue.

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
okay, i watched it last night. so here's what you've been waiting for.

The Review:

The original version of Under the Red Hood is hands down my favorite of the DC Animated movies. I hold it in such a high regard that I even enjoy it more than Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker (Original Uncut).

At first when I heard that UA was going to be editing UTRH, I was pretty skeptical. Mostly cause I loved the movie so much. I've watched the original a ton of times, it can just never get old for me.

After watching UTRH: UA Edition, I have to say though that my original copy is going to be sitting on the shelf now. Cause this is my preferred version of the film.

This is how the movie should have been edited the first time around. Instead of beginning with the Death in the Family segment at the front of the movie, it should have begun with the mob meeting. It allows the mystery of who's the Red Hood to play out how it originally should have.

There were a couple of times when I noticed some things were missing, but that's mostly cause I've watched the original so many times. I definitely like the fact that there's not as much exposition about everything to the audience as there was in the original. Examples of that would be Batman explaining what Amazo is, who Nightwing is, etc. Watching without those expositions in the film, definitely has me going to this version from now on.

Also, awesome work on the darkening of the film. It definitely brought back the feel of the old Batman:TAS.

I'm hoping that they'll be doing more of the stories leading up to and following the Red Hood story arc for the DC Animated movies, cause it'd be awesome to have a series of Batman movies that work well enough on their own but watched together tell amazing stories from the comics.

I enjoyed the menu. Definitely thought it was a really awesome set-up. Of course, with the bonus features there's that amazing Grayson fan-film trailer. Really awesome. I'd highly recommend watching it, cause it'll leave you being pumped up for a Grayson movie (that sadly won't ever be released)

There's really nothing I can complain about with this release. It takes a movie that is so awesome already and just improves upon it. I'd highly recommend this to anyone that's enjoyed Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, anything by Bruce Timm, etc.

Score: 10 out of 10.

Awesome job, UA. Looking forward to seeing what ya got next, hope it may be something back in the bat-verse. (Maybe something else in the DC animated movies line-up, such as Batman/Superman films into one edit)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review, Steelio. Very kind of you. Glad to hear I didn't ruin the film for you. :)

Looking forward to seeing what ya got next, hope it may be something back in the bat-verse.
I know at least one Batman edit I will definitely do in the next year or so.

They just announced that they'll be doing The Dark Knight Returns as a two-part movie. I know they're budgets demand short films, but that doesn't mean it has to stay two separate films for very long. ;)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very good edit! It is THE version of the movie to watch, period. :thumb:

Since others have already praised the virtues of it, and justly so, I'll limit myself to mention the two things I would have done differently. One would be removing some more Nightwing one-liners and banter during the fights. This is just personal preference, though, and I know a lot of people would probably disagree. The other thing, which I feel would be more important, would be moving the Todd Robin flashback (the Riddler adventure one) to AFTER Batman has analyzed the blood in the katana and found out it matches. As it is now, Batman realizes Red Hood's identity immediately, without any sense of mystery unfolding.

But that's just me being a nitpicker. In any case, this is still an impressive edit. Highly recommended.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the kind words, Dwight.

As for the Todd flashback, I don't disagree...I really wanted to push the reveal further back, the next scene with Batman is the fight scene, after which he speaks with The Red Hood. Bruce's demeanor (and specific dialogue) are all geared towards him knowing who he is speaking to, and I didn't wanna lose that dynamic. ("Tell me what happened to you...let me help you.") But like I said, I definitely don't disagree...but the blood test is only really one (two if we count non-Batman scenes) scene later, so it wouldn't have been too much extra mystery time. ;)

Either way, just glad you mostly enjoyed it. :)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe it would have worked to push the reveal back AND have the aforementioned dialog in, as in Batman is a step ahead of the audience? He's the world's greatest detective, after all...

Wayneuk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Guys, looking for some help here please? downloaded the container for the avi version and ran it in jdownloader. parts 2,3 and 4 are fine but part one is coming down 100k short and as such, i cant get the avi to extract. As its part of a container, i cant just goto the link for part 1. any clues please? really looking forward to seeing this

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
schpoiler ahead.

Brilliant edit. Moving back the Death in the Family sequence and all those nips and tucks made the movie more solid, and it was already solid to begin with. At the conclusion, a particular villain's survival is also made less obvious.

The UA edit is now my go-to version.

Superman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know I'm late to this party, but how can I get this edit? Can't find it online. Thanks

Top Bottom