• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Batman: The Killing Joke, The Novel Cut.

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After the surprising success of my Dark Knight Returns Fanfix, several people asked me if I'd tackle The Killing Joke and I saw that somebody else had beaten me to it. I watched it and, with all due respect, there's several choices the faneditor made that I don't agree with. So I decided to create my own version.

It was a more difficult project than I originally thought it would be, as the graphic novel is definitely made to be read, as each brilliant page is presented to the reader as a whole and not a series of sequential images (although it's certainly that as well). Therefore adapting it in sequential order needed some creative editing which sometimes isn't literally faithful to the comic but a "true" adaptation of the story and its themes.

EDITS LIST:

- Replaced the godawful Warner Bros Animation logo with the much nicer one from Dark Knight Returns.

- Cut the first half hour as it's pure invention and extrapolation from the graphic novel and even offending (Batgirl has an affair with Batman??).

- Kept a single shot of the rain on the ground as this is how the graphic novel actually begins and ends but it's inexplicably missing at the "real beginning" of this adaptation which is at the 30 minutes 56 seconds mark. that entire 30 minutes is removed from the edit as it isn't in the graphic novel.

- Added a very light rain effect when Batman arrives at Arkham Asylum, the way it looks like in the graphic novel.

- Spruced up the bat mobile engine with a race car engine. It's the bat mobile, not a Toyota Camry.

- Turned down the saturation on the flashback scenes to match the graphic novel.

- Cut the jazz music during the Joker flashback scene when he explains he's a failure to his pregnant wife. Why is relaxing smooth jazz playing? Because that's what you do in a cartoon, you MUST have music everywhere. I replaced the jazz with noise from the street making it even more clear that he lives in a shit apartment in a shit part of town.

- Why did they remove the beautiful Alan Moore transitions from the graphic novel? How difficult would it have been to follow the book? Sadly, this can't be fixed but I did find a nice transition from flashback Joker to carnival Joker to Barbara in the hospital.

- Removed the doctor pricking Barbara with a needle to check her sensitivity while she's sleeping. That is not how medicine works.

- Removed the jazzy music in the shitty bar / restaurant.

- Made a fade transition from the Joker's wife's death to tortured Gordon. like all the other transitions. This transition also fixes the sequence of events that they changed for the adaptation for some reason.

- Removed the entire judge wig sequence as it's not in the graphic novel. It also gives voices and opinions to Joker's lackeys which isn't in the graphic novel either.

- Removed most of the music during the singing Joker sequence and left it as an echo. The sequence works in the graphic novel because we don't hear the music, we pay attention to the lyrics and the point that the Joker is trying to make. However in the context of moving images and sounds, it feels like a Disney musical number. By removing the music and leaving just an echo of it, it lessens the misplaced humor and reinstates the scene as truly horrifying and reinforces the Joker as a megalomaniac.

- Removed Batman saying "I'm gonna count to ten - one, nine. Is he scolding a child? My mom used to do that. Also, it’s not in the graphic novel.

- Removed Batman asking thug to swear to him instead of god. Why would Batman ask this?? Removed most of the dialog but left just enough to let the audience know that Batman is looking for information on the Joker’s whereabouts. The scene is silent in the graphic novel but in the adaptation it just appears as if Batman is randomly beating up thugs. The dialog I left in makes Batman's investigation clear.

- Reconstructed the music and sound effects for the entire Batman pummeling for clues sequence.

- Removed night club mob boss talking to Batman. You don't say "You done?" to Batman beating up your thugs. Also, not in the graphic novel. Also removed the rest of the dialog, just like in the graphic novel.

- Removed the dialog between Batman and the prostitutes. Here it’s a full scene, in the graphic novel it’s a single panel without dialog.

- After Batman receives the circus tickets, changed the transition from a fade in from black to a hard cut to Gordon point of view in the roller coaster car.

- Removed establishing shot of the factory and made a hard cut after Joker says "Time to reflect upon life and all its random uncontrollability" to flashback Joker reflecting on the factory fence.

- Added a glass distortion effect to the Red Hood's point of view to further limit flashback Joker's ability to see in a similar way to the graphic novel.

- Created a new "Alan Moore transition" from Joker laughing maniacally after falling into the vat to Batman's head.

- Deleted Batman's confrontation with Joker's thugs. He meets the Joker right away, just like in the Graphic novel.

- Deleted Batman's fight with the bat midgets. He seemingly kills two of them in the spiked pit, but Batman doesn't kill. Also, not in the novel.

- Deleted Joker's line: "By clinging to reality, you're denying the reality of the situation.". It's clumsy and not in the novel.

- Added police sirens as Batman stated they were on their way, and they do come in the graphic novel as the camera pans down.

- Added back Alan Moore’s name in the credits. He asked for them to be removed but he might appreciate this fanedit. Although he has stated that the story is too violent and that the best Batman adaptation was the 1960s Adam West version. Go figure. Alan Moore is a mad man.

Last edited:

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow. This sounds really good, I very much enjoyed musiced921's version but I am excited to see this as well! 😀 Did you perhaps touch upon the scene where batman is in the cave and jason todd is on the batcomputer bloody and beaten? Because if I'm not mistaken this comic came out before a death in the family so batman should not be looking at what he did to jason.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow. This sounds really good, I very much enjoyed musiced921's version but I am excited to see this as well! 😀 Did you perhaps touch upon the scene where batman is in the cave and jason todd is on the batcomputer bloody and beaten? Because if I'm not mistaken this comic came out before a death in the family so batman should not be looking at what he did to jason.
I watched a workprint of this. It *is* brilliant. Check it out as soon as it's available.

Jason remains, but the timeline thing is both unimportant and different from the comic books (after all, the graphic novel even featured Bat-Mite in a photograph!) There are also monitors that reference both Batman '89 and The Dark Knight scenes, which of course came out well after this.

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched a workprint of this. It *is* brilliant. Check it out as soon as it's available.

Jason remains, but the timeline thing is both unimportant and different from the comic books (after all, the graphic novel even featured Bat-Mite in a photograph!) There are also monitors that reference both Batman '89 and The Dark Knight scenes, which of course came out well after this.
Sounds good! 😀

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

What Dwight said but I did touch up the scene by removing some offensive dialog between Batman and Alfred:

Batman: All these years and I don't know who he is any more than he knows who I am.

(Deleted) Alfred: Are you sure of that?

(Deleted) Batman: What do you mean?

(Deleted) Alfred: I mean don't underestimate him.

(Deleted) Batman: I don't and neither should he underestimate me.

(Deleted) Alfred: You can't save everyone, sir.

(Deleted) Batman: He drives me.

Batman: How can two people hate so much without knowing each other?

As if Alfred needed to remind Batman about how dangerous the Joker is as Batman is looking at pictures of a dead Jason Todd. That's just plain dumb.

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I see what you mean, Sounds pretty cool and I guess it doesn't matter where things take place, like if this is before or after a death in the family. I just like to stay true to canon with everything I follow 😬 unfortunately some companies won't stay true to the canon they create "disney star wars" 😔

Sounds real cool tho my guy, when will it be available? 😀

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I see what you mean, Sounds pretty cool and I guess it doesn't matter where things take place, like if this is before or after a death in the family. I just like to stay true to canon with everything I follow 😬 unfortunately some companies won't stay true to the canon they create "disney star wars" 😔

Sounds real cool tho my guy, when will it be available? 😀

Ugh - the Disney Star Wars movies really messed with my love of Star Wars. The last one is so dumb that it made me get rid of my copies of the first two so I have to agree with you there.

As for Batman I completely understand your logic but you can't be linear with Batman as he's been around since 1939. Many things have changed since then, especially with the multiple DC Universe reboots. Just look at how Wayne's parents were shot. In Dark Knight Returns, it was the 1940 Tyrone Power version of "Mark of Zorro" but in the previously published Detective Comics #500 we learn that Marlon Brando was in the film the Waynes watched... And Brando definitely isn't in "Mark of Zorro". But even "Mark of Zorro" isn't exactly canon. Originally it was the silent version starring Douglas Fairbanks, it was actually LATER the silent version, as established in Batman #459... I think we all have our head canons when it comes to Batman. I don't dislike the opera version of Batman Begins but I do prefer the Mark of Zorro origin (The 1940s one). Perhaps younger kids will believe it's the 1998 Antonio Banderas version haha

As for availability, it's already done. You can PM me for the link :)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As for Batman I completely understand your logic but you can't be linear with Batman as he's been around since 1939. Many things have changed since then, especially with the multiple DC Universe reboots. Just look at how Wayne's parents were shot. In Dark Knight Returns, it was the 1940 Tyrone Power version of "Mark of Zorro" but in the previously published Detective Comics #500 we learn that Marlon Brando was in the film the Waynes watched... And Brando definitely isn't in "Mark of Zorro". But even "Mark of Zorro" isn't exactly canon. Originally it was the silent version starring Douglas Fairbanks, it was actually LATER the silent version, as established in Batman #459... I think we all have our head canons when it comes to Batman. I don't dislike the opera version of Batman Begins but I do prefer the Mark of Zorro origin (The 1940s one). Perhaps younger kids will believe it's the 1998 Antonio Banderas version haha
And in Joker, it was Zorro the Gay Blade. That kid'll grow up to be an interesting Batman...

SIUse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So happy, that you decided to tackle this movie:) Your ideas are very promising.

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ugh - the Disney Star Wars movies really messed with my love of Star Wars. The last one is so dumb that it made me get rid of my copies of the first two so I have to agree with you there.

As for availability, it's already done. You can PM me for the link :)
Yeah batman's timeline is not exactly linear but there is still a rough outline of everything. Like my head canon is year one, man who laughs, the long halloween, dark victory and after that it gets a little complicated because of the various batman and robin comics of the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's 😅 but what I mean is I have like a rough outline of what stories happen for batman in the that grayson is robin, jason's time, tim's and then damian's. Like batman stories, teen titans, justice league, the solo comics for league members and other heroes so yeah. I see I am rambling on and on and probably not making to much sense 😬 I will pm you for link 😅

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah batman's timeline is not exactly linear but there is still a rough outline of everything. Like my head canon is year one, man who laughs, the long halloween, dark victory and after that it gets a little complicated because of the various batman and robin comics of the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's 😅 but what I mean is I have like a rough outline of what stories happen for batman in the that grayson is robin, jason's time, tim's and then damian's. Like batman stories, teen titans, justice league, the solo comics for league members and other heroes so yeah. I see I am rambling on and on and probably not making to much sense 😬 I will pm you for link 😅

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you followed Tom King's Batman? It has it's ups and downs, but I've largely come to accept his ending (Batman annual 2017) as Bruce's true one, with him growing old married to Catwoman and dying with all of his family surrounding him

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you followed Tom King's Batman? It has it's ups and downs, but I've largely come to accept his ending (Batman annual 2017) as Bruce's true one, with him growing old married to Catwoman and dying with all of his family surrounding him
Holy crap I did not know about that 😨 I haven't followed his batman, I only read city of bane when that was running, so like his final arc before tynion took over. I read a little bit of that after but stopped as I just couldn't keep up with it much. I was under the impression that kings batman wasn't that good, especially after I saw the wedding stuff.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Holy crap I did not know about that 😨 I haven't followed his batman, I only read city of bane when that was running, so like his final arc before tynion took over. I read a little bit of that after but stopped as I just couldn't keep up with it much. I was under the impression that kings batman wasn't that good, especially after I saw the wedding stuff.
You'd be right. King's work deteriorates after the wedding bait-and-switch, it wasn't a good time to be a DC fan in general in 2018-2020.

I would not recommend King's more recent Batman/Catwoman book either....probably some of the worst things he's ever written, and actually kind of tarnishes the impact and ending of the annual story.

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You'd be right. King's work deteriorates after the wedding bait-and-switch, it wasn't a good time to be a DC fan in general in 2018-2020.

I would not recommend King's more recent Batman/Catwoman book either....probably some of the worst things he's ever written, and actually kind of tarnishes the impact and ending of the annual story.
Yeah I think I'm good. I really need to catch up with the current DC comics, I am behind 😬

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Best title for me has been Nightwing from Tom Taylor, and Robin from Joshua Williamson. Joshua is actually taking over from Tynion soon

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Best title for me has been Nightwing from Tom Taylor, and Robin from Joshua Williamson. Joshua is actually taking over from Tynion soon
Sounds good, I know that they just started a robin solo series for damian which is sick! 😀 I also know that red hood ended 😢 I gotta catch up and see what infinite frontier is all about. I'm actually gonna read through future state I think as it seems It's kind of a standalone thing so that could be fun, I know that wally west is the star of the flash series again too and he's back in that classic suit from the 90's and 2000's so I gotta read that. Idk what happened to barry tho. Yeah there's a lot 😅

Top Bottom