• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman: The Killing Joke-The DCAU Cut

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
batman-catwoman_dc-comics_featuresoondcau.jpg

One of the irritable things about the later out-of-continuity DC movies that make use of the voice cast from the DC animated universe of shows...is that it often brings up the question of why don't they just make a continuation? Surely it can't be that problematic? Whatever their reasons, I feel like they waste big opportunities....and whenever they do go back to the DCAU, it's largely for shits and giggles (Batman and Harley)

Anyway, I figured with Risk and Revelation behind me, the time has come to see if I can do something different with the Dark Knight. The goal here is to adapt "The Killing Joke" but give it more of a DCAU vibe, i.e, follow the continuity of Batman TAS/New Batman Adventures, include characters like Nightwing and Catwoman etc.

I am also creating a whole new sub-plot to replace the one with Batgirl from the first half of the movie...one that involves Bruce and Selina from Batman: Hush. I'm still working out the kinks in how to approach this, it might not be much due to Hush having it's own thing going with it.

Obviously with Babs still being paralysed here, it's not taking into account Batman Beyond...the reasons for that is my headcanon theory that when John chose Vixen over Hawkgirl in JLU, coupled with Bruce's ongoing foreknowledge of the future, that timeline was pretty much erased. It is with the "Vixen Theory" in mind that I approach this edit, where things are now much different. I've also been influenced a great deal by the mammoth Bat/Cat push orchestrated by writer Tom King at DC (I'd recommend reading his maxi-series Batman/Catwoman, it's a direct follow-up to Mask of the Phantasm)

Might have an an alternative mid-credit scene idea too, I'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Here's my current timeline

-Bruce talks with Nightwing and meets Selina and Thomas Elliot at the party

-Battle with Bane. We cut the beginning of Bruce’s investigation into Ivy as she’s not in the cut

-Bruce and Selina attend the opera. Harley Quinn attacks, Thomas is killed by Joker (who pleads innocence) who Batman almost kills, but is ultimately incarcerated. This Joker indeed turns out to be an imposter (Killing Joke) and doesn’t desire another Bat-beating

-Killing Joke plays out as normal

-After the Joker’s song and dance number, we find Bruce and Dick in the Batcave, Selina calls Bruce

-Bruce rendevouz with the cops and aqquires the final clue to Joker’s lair. Remainder of Killing Joke plays out

-New mid-credits scene is Bruce and Selina sleeping together.

Last edited:
Where are you sourcing these additional scenes from?

Where are you sourcing these additional scenes from?
The animated movie Batman: Hush, I already made that clear in the first post.

I am also creating a whole new sub-plot to replace the one with Batgirl from the first half of the movie...one that involves Bruce and Selina from Batman: Hush.

Oh, sorry. I thought on my first read that it was meant to be following that story, not using the footage.

Understandable, I probably should have worded it better

I've made a few little tweeks to the latest draft

-Replaced an awkward music transition that felt too abrupt and was building to something more dramatic when the very next scene is something more composed

-The Joker no longer professes his 'innocence' and doesn't make reference to being in a 'basement', after Batman calls his name, he now goes straight into beating him up. I've still left it a bit ambiguous as to whether or not this is the actual Joker or not due to what happens in the KJ footage, but at least now it's less clear to the audience until the reveal comes a little later

Sample of the opening.

Due to a boarder issue between the Hush and KJ footage, I've converted this edit to full widescreen

password: fanedit

Joker kills Elliot, Bruce loses it (Joker professing his innocence cut)

password: fanedit

Trying to crop this thing to widescreen using online software is a pain, it keeps shrinking the videos' resolution down so it leaves the final product looking pixelated and a bit dirty.

I've asked for help, but cropping manually appears to be a time-consuming exercise...to be fair, I don't think the boarder issue is all that problematic. It's barely noticeable and I only caught it because somebody more eagle-eyed pointed it out to me. I don't think it'd be a deal-breaker if I just left it alone

Decided to make two cuts of this...one with all the Red Hood flashbacks, and one without any, which reduces the running time to 54 minutes. I know the Joker's origins are multiple choice and he's had at least two origins in Batman TAS (failed comedian and mobster) but I feel like the flashbacks are difficult to balance those conflicting origins.

What do you think? Which cut should I run with?

God did I have a tough time with the version that cut out the Red Hood flashbacks...I edited it about five times and I kept missing some frames that got left in, so ultimately I had to take a break from it. I'll try to remount it today, but I'd much rather just keep the current version, I only had to revisit that once yesterday too.

I think I'll dump the low-res widescreen version on reddit or whatnot for the audience I have there, but I'll work on a high quality widescreen version for the IFDB take.

While I don't think the boarder issue is too noticeable and I could just leave it alone, I'd still like to get a second opinion.

Last edited:
Oh, I've also put together a two-part TV cut in the style of Batman: The Animated Series, complete with intro and outro. I have cut one plot point that can be found in the feature, and that's Tommy's murder, but other than that the rest plays the same. You'll receive it as a bonus with the feature.

Ran a draft past one of my good editor friends over on reddit, thought I'd share that feedback

The more I think about it, I especially like that you added the part from Hush where Batman beats up the Joker, since a later Killing Joke scene where had Joker claim that Gordon had to throw a book at a man who brutalizes criminals only to hit a Batman board. It feels like subtle foreshadowing that adds to the story now, nice detail.

Apparently I forgot to cut one sequence out of the fight with Bane...I'm too lazy to go back in and trim it, but I don't want to leave it in there without a follow-up to justify it being there, so now there's going to be a post-credits scene.

This is still being worked on, but I came up with another bonus, a prequel 'episode', again in the style of Batman: TAS, where we see Babs retire as Batgirl and adapt the Superman and Posion Ivy segments of Hush.

Back
Top Bottom