• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Batman TAS; Mask of the Phantasm TV cut

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
poster1.png

This one is going to be a simple movie-to-tv edit. The edit will consist of three separate episodes with B:TAS opening and closing credits and to be continued cards and openings. Due to the length of the source, the last episode will not be the traditional 22 minute length. The episodes will be presented in their original 4:3 format as SD mp4's.​

Synopsis:
Gotham's crime bosses are in fear. A mysterious dark crusader is bent on wiping out the city's heads of crime, for good. All evidence points towards the Batman. Has the cape crusader crossed the line and become the very thing he has sworn to protect Gotham from, or has a darker presence emerged in the night?
Watch the mystery unfold in DigModiFicaTion's TV cut of Mask of the Phantasm. See the origin of the Batman in episodic form, presented as a pilot series of the Emmy winning Batman: The Animated Series.
Featuring:
  • Batman: The Animated Series Opening and Closing Credits
  • Custom Mask of the Phantasm Title Cards
  • Previously on Batman openings
  • Removal of visually suggestive themes to align with 90's TV
Cut list:
  • Removed scene of Andrea standing at the World fair in the Phantasm suit, replaced scene with a still shot that paints her out as to keep the Joker's laugh as a fade out into the next scene. This allows the viewer to learn the true identity of the Phantasm along with the Joker.
  • Removed scene where Andrea and the Joker disappear into smoke when the bombs the Joker planted explode. Now it cuts to Batman who yells Andrea's name and then he falls into the sewer.
  • Cut the cruise boat scene where we see Andrea alive. Still shot of Bruce looking down is used to fade into the final scene of the Bat signal and ending shot
Planned release formats: 1gb 480p mp4 episodes (x3); DVD-5 

Special thanks to Zarius for previewing the edit and theryaney for an awesome criterion style cover​

Poster and title card art derived from artworks by Justin Erickson and Greg Capullo

artboard-copy-1041.png

[align=center]
disc.png
[/align]

Episode Title Card​
mask-of-the-phantasm-title-card.png

Ideas​

[align=center]DVD Menu​

[align=center]
[align=center]

Part 1
Part 2
Part3
https://vimeo.com/257466299[/video]
password: fanedit.org

SpectacularSMan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've always thought this would be a great idea! Good luck with this! are you trimming much of the movie to make it work with the time constraints or are you mostly translating the exact movie?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit doesn't look to remove anything, just present it as if it were part of a TAS season or perhaps the pilot of the series.

Conrad MacIntyre

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I always thought the Man Bat pilot was weak. I like idea of S01E00a, b, and c.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a draft of the first "Previously on Batman" pre-title card sequence. I focused on the conspiracy side of the movie, but I'm wondering if I should have added scenes of Andrea. What do you think?

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's that poster with some of my "magic": ;)

artboard-copy-93.png

Hope you like it. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
Here's that poster with some of my "magic": ;)

Gorgeous.  Absolutely gorgeous!!!!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agreed. Massive magic there @"theryaney" :)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a draft of the previously on Batman part 3. Thoughts?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Would anyone like to preview the edit?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Episode 1 is now up on vimeo for preview.
password: fanedit.org

SpectacularSMan said:
are you trimming much of the movie to make it work with the time constraints or are you mostly translating the exact movie?

At first no, but I attempted to cut the final episode down to at least 30 minutes and in so doing did remove a couple of scenes.

New cut list:
  • Removed scene of Andrea standing at the World fair in the Phantasm suit, replaced scene with a still shot that paints her out as to keep the Joker's laugh as a fade out into the next scene. This allows the viewer to learn the true identity of the Phantasm along with the Joker.
  • Removed scene where Andrea and the Joker disappear into smoke when the bombs the Joker planted explode. Now it cuts to Batman who yells Andrea's name and then he falls into the sewer.
  • Cut the cruise boat scene where we see Andrea alive. Still shot of Bruce looking down is used to fade into the final scene of the Bat signal and ending shot
The last episode is still running at 30:15 so I'll need to see if I can trim some more stuff.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I always split my sides at "Ms Bambi is dancing on the piano" :D

Good work on the first episode.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw part two. Great stuff, I did think the explosion at the very end could do with a more gradual fade once we goto the "to be continued" caption, but I had a good time.

Will watch part three once you manage to wittle it down to the desired length.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I found where I can steal back some time. Since this is a TV cut, I'll be trimming the "staying over night" scene to be less on the nose. We'll get the dialogue about her father to inform and misdirect the viewer, but we won't have the morning after scene on the balcony which doesn't really do anything to progress the story. It will cut from the kiss to Andy saying goodbye in the car. The sky will be dulled a bit to simulate either an early morning or late evening look and I'll be adding lights to the manor windows. This will bring the length of the final episode under 30 minutes.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
I saw part two. Great stuff, I did think the explosion at the very end could do with a more gradual fade once we goto the "to be continued" caption, but I had a good time.

Thanks Zarius for previewing this! Are you meaning the fade from the explosion, the fade into the "to be continued" or the fade out from the "to be continued"?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Zarius said:

Thanks Zarius for previewing this! Are you meaning the fade from the explosion, the fade into the "to be continued" or the fade out from the "to be continued"?

The fade into "to be continued" yeah. :)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
@"DigModiFicaTion",

artboard-copy-931.png

I still don't know the total runtime, will be updated. What do you think? ;)

Total runtime = 75 min
Presented in original 1:33:1 aspect ratio (4:3)
2.0 stereo, though I might make a custom 5.1 like I did for Shipwrecked since you put 5.1 :)

I'm also wondering if you would be able/willing to make a version of the front where the text does all line up with the B in batman as well as the TV Cut (placed under the M in Mask of the Phantasm)

The back is a bit text heavy to me. What about something along the lines of:

Gotham's crime bosses are in fear. A mysterious dark crusader is bent on wiping out the city's heads of the crime, for good. All evidence points towards the Batman. Has the cape crusader crossed the line and become the very thing he has sworn to protect Gotham from, or has a darker presence emerged in the night?

Watch the mystery unfold in DigModiFicaTion's TV cut of Mask of the Phantasm. See the origin of the Batman in episodic form, presented as a pilot series of the Emmy winning Batman: The Animated Series.
Featuring:
  • Batman: The Animated Series Opening and Closing Credits
  • Custom Mask of the Phantasm Title Cards
  • Previously on Batman openings
  • Removal of visually suggestive themes to align with 90's TV

Top Bottom