• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm - Noir Edition

thepotatoparadox

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
View media item 1212
Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm as it should've been.

This is a very simple edit that turns my favorite animated film into black and white, presented in 1:33:1 aspect ratio. Additionally, the Animated Series outro music and a track from the film has replaced the end credits song.

The scene with Andrea at the boat has been cut in order to emphasize that she's dissapeared.

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is the 1:33:1 aspect ratio intentional? Seems a shame to lose the widescreen imagery.

Forgot this was created in 4x3 then cropped to widescreen.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is the 1:33:1 aspect ratio intentional? Seems a shame to lose the widescreen imagery.
Mask of the Phantasm was designed for 4:3, since it was originally intended to be a straight to video release. When WB decided to release it theatrically, they demanded a 16:9 aspect ratio, but at that point about 80% of the movie was already fully animated. So they had to crop the top and bottom of what they had, and animate the remaining scenes for 16:9. As a result, neither of the two versions (both are included on the home releases) is a fully "true" one, but the 4:3 one is "truer". 80% or so of it is uncropped and 20% is cropped on the sides. In the 16:9 version it's the other way around.

Of course "truer" doesn't necessarily mean "better". Some people do prefer the 16:9 version despite the above.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mask of the Phantasm was designed for 4:3, since it was originally intended to be a straight to video release. When WB decided to release it theatrically, they demanded a 16:9 aspect ratio, but at that point about 80% of the movie was already fully animated. So they had to crop the top and bottom of what they had, and animate the remaining scenes for 16:9. As a result, neither of the two versions (both are included on the home releases) is a fully "true" one, but the 4:3 one is "truer". 80% or so of it is uncropped and 20% is cropped on the sides. In the 16:9 version it's the other way around.

Of course "truer" doesn't necessarily mean "better". Some people do prefer the 16:9 version despite the above.
Hence my edited post ;)

korach1921

Reaction score
Trophy Points
View media item 1212
Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm as it should've been.

This is a very simple edit that turns my favorite animated film into black and white, presented in 1:33:1 aspect ratio. Additionally, the Animated Series outro music and a track from the film has replaced the end credits song.

The scene with Andrea at the boat has been cut in order to emphasize that she's dissapeared.
Taking inspiration from me I see :)

Top Bottom