• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Batman Forever: Red Book Edition

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Let me preface by saying, I love comic book movies. More specifically DC Comic Book movies.... Superman, Batman... these guys are gods to me. I LOVED Batman Begins... it is the closest in spirit of any of the Batman movies. Batman Returns is my second favorite, it is dark and violent and moody. Just as Batman should be. The first Batman is excellent, though I think it need more Bat and less Jack. Batman and Robin just sucks. And Batman Forever, well it always left me with mixed feelings.

Batman Forever is a tough movie to edit, there is no doubt about it. There is so much wrong with it, it is hard to know where to start. It has no clear focus... is it a comedy or dark thriller? The way over the top (and in my mind) horrible performances from Carey and Jones steal the spotlight from Batman's psychological dimilema. But there is lots of good character stuff in the movie too involving Bruce and Dick.

What I really liked about this edit are the returned deleted scenes, they added weight and impact to Batman's storyline which was sorely missing from the original cut. Also like the new "it never ends" closing. These scenes have been very well reinserted, and though they are of a lesser video quality, the muted tones of this edit makes it less noticeable and works well. :smile:

But beyond that, the movie still does not work for me. I think lots more could have been cut, especially from the scenes with villians. Less is more. I think by reinserting the scences about Bruce and the Red Book, the rest of the movie should have been cut to keep as much as the focus on Bruce/Batman and his journey, and keep the villans to absolute storyline requirement minimum.

Techically, I think is an excellent edit! I just think the editor could have been more bold with his storyline cuts. After just watching Paulisdead's Forever cut (Dark Knight), I think the perfect edit would be a merging of these two edits. Dark Knight sleek,trimmed storyline edit (along with all new amazing soundtrack) and Scapegoat's great character developement deleted scenes restoration.

So on a techincial scale, THUMBS WAY UP. :smile:

But on the storyline edit, what was done was very good but I think it could gone further and bolder.

So a mixed review for me.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oops, very sorry. I am soooooo terrible with names! :-(

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved Batman Forever as it was, I felt with Burton producing and Schmacher directing, they had a great balance. As the deleted scenes became publicly known (though many were aware of them before it) courtesy of the Special Edition DVDs, it has provided fans with the oppertunity of adding them and giving the story a sense of closure and logic.

It worked. The giant bat scene may look like an outtake from "The Muppets Take Gotham", and I'm expecting the rats from those films to break into the number whilst the bat sings to Bruce, but thanks to the lighting and reactions, not to mention the addition of the music, it becomes a crucial and majestic, memorable part of the Bat-mythos.

I've never been a big fan of cutting too much out of a movie, work AROUND the problem, dont delete it. Thats why I didnt bother with the one-hour Hulk, I dont want one hour art, I want to watch a MOVIE.

Schumacher gets a damn bad rap, yet "Forever" clearly shows he wanted to do a much darker story, its a dark comedy/thriller, its characters all flawed, insane, and doomed to spend eternity condemed to their present existence, it "never ends"

An incredibly solid peice of editing that honours the best strengths of the movie and maitains the dark comedy. Forever wasnt a "fluke" Batman movie, it was one of the best, and this edit proves its worth.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
by Scaperat
What is it about? Batman Forever is a great movie, but there are things in it that definitely ruin the experience. Tim Burton's absence wasn't the problem.

original film name: Batman Forever
film studio name: Warner Bros.
Date Original Film Was Released: 1995
Date Edit Was Released: August 2007
Original Runtime: approx.2 hours
New Runtime: 2 hours
Amount of time Cut/Added: approx.11m cut/10m added

Cuts removed/added/extended:

* New opening credit sequence (Red Forever logo) using Arkham deleted
scene.

* No suiting up sequence. From the title to a zooming batmobile.

* Two Face's cackling and joking cut down to a minimum.

* Security guard doesn't whine along to Goldentthal's music score. Still
whines though.

* Colors have been slightly muted.

* More Elliot Goldenthal music added.

* Chase isn't a filthy whore here. Just a whore. She does not grab
Batman's nipples.

* Gordon doesn't say "definitely suicide", which made him look like an
idiot.

* Dick's family death scene has new music that drowns out the sound.
For dramatic effect.

* Dick's pain deleted scene added and altered.

* Dick talking to the 4 R&B girls has been cut

* Batman's leap over machine guns at the Ritz Gotham is seen in two
angles now.
one taken from the trailer.

* News report explaining Two Face's origin has been shortened. It felt
forced.

* Batman bashing News report deleted scene added and altered.

* "Go to her" and "I've never been in love before" lines removed.

* Riddler's tiny bombs explode on contact. No baseball gag.

* Giant bat and red book revelation deleted scene added and altered, of
course.
Music and sound f/x.

* Batman's butt has been cut.

* Batman doesn't give Gordon a thumbs up while in the Batwing.

* Too many cuts to count. Two pointless action sequences removed.

* The villains don't play Battleship as Batman and Robin head for their
hideout.

* "It never ends" deleted scene added to the end.

* Running hero silhouettes cut from the end.

DVD - Features:

Conceptual improvements/advancements of edit over original:

Batman Forever is a great movie, but there are things in it that
definitely ruin the experience. Tim Burton's absence wasn't the problem.

Imagine seeing Bruce suffering from sadness, guilt and loads of other
psychological problems. Then he turns around
and shows us his ass. It just doesn't work for me. Two face was another
problem; he's supposed to be brain
damaged not retarded. Why is he acting like the joker? I also muted the
colors to the point where some
scenes look black and white with color mixed in. As for Chase and Bruce.
Their relationship is pointless and they
both know this deep down. The new ending emphasizes this. The action
sequences were also a little hokey so I recut
those as well. I didn't try to make this into a Tim Burton film by adding
Elfman's scores from the 1st two films.
Instead I kept Goldenthal's score and added some more of his work. The new
music is taken from Final Fantasy: TSW
and Alien 3. I didn't have much of a problem with the Riddler. Jim Carrey is
a comedic god.
Time needed for the edition: 6 days

DVD layout and features: cover art and cd label

persons involved: 1

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
edit0r said:
I wonder if a "redux"-version of this has ever crossed the FE's mind.

well there is JMB's and Dwight's Batman Forever: Dark Cut in the works

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
edit0r said:
Uuh. Link please? Can't find it's thread.

Here, but please keep in mind JMB is a busy man and hasn't been around for a while, and until he comes back there won't be further updates on this edit.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, "it's" means "it is," rather than how you used it.

edit0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess I was drunk posting again. :p

Or just got up.

Either way, rock dat grammar.
And thanks for the link.

SRA

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey All,

I've been waiting for a decent cut of BF since I can recall. If someone can be so kind as to PM me where to watch I'd appreciate it (I have PM'd a few of you but not had a reply).

Sorry if I am going about this in the wrong way. I don't intend to. Newbie you see...

Ishmayl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've heard from a friend that this is a great edit, but I have had no luck tracking anything down. Does anyone have any advice for me on this (without saying something that could be a breach of site policy)? Thanks!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ishmayl said:
I've heard from a friend that this is a great edit, but I have had no luck tracking anything down. Does anyone have any advice for me on this (without saying something that could be a breach of site policy)? Thanks!

Please read these links, specifically Using This Site and the General Rules:

If this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry for bringing this five-year-old thread back, but could you imagine if there was an HD remake of this legend?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rofl, that 2007 review from me above is such pretentious snobbery, looking down on short form fanedits...oh I was a cad, totally don't have that mindset now because short form edits I find much easier.

PaulisDead2221

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Batman Forever definitely deserves to be approached again. In the aftermath of the "Snyder Cut" of Justice League, I heard/read a lot about a potential "Schumacher Cut" of BF that does a lot more than reincorporate deleted scenes the way any fan edit could do. Schumacher created a beautiful and unique reimagining of the Dark Knight after Tim Burton. I've come to especially appreciate how BF seamlessly incorporates Batman '66 elements while still maintaining the dark aesthetic that had been established before him.

I'm still nostalgic for my "Dark Knight" cut of BF where I tried to "Burton-ise" the movie, but in retrospect I think the mistake I made was not accepting the film on its own terms.

Top Bottom