• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Batman: Descent Into Mystery

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on releasing this Dwight, Im sure it's worth the wait

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds very cool, I anxiously await this one becoming available.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
on the front page:

Longtime contributor to the FE.org community, Dwight Fry releases his first fanedit: Batman: Descent into Mystery!

shouldn't that read "releases his first feature-length fanedit"?

IIRC, DF has released at least one fanedit short.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Guess no one cares about A Psychogenic Fugue (except for you, which inmediately makes you the coolest mf around). :p

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does this mean that "Batman: Descent Into Mystery" is now available?

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Does this mean that "Batman: Descent Into Mystery" is now available?

matrix1.jpg

is this real?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wtf-its-real.jpg

I know, it's a pretty dumb question. But earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that the edit was approved, but not yet available, since you hadn't perfected the DVD yet. I figured that just because it was approved and in the IFDB didn't necessarily mean it was available yet. Since you mentioned that you didn't want people PMing you for the links until it was available, I figured I'd make sure, instead of assuming.

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just keep checking info i'm not 100% sure but i figure it will appear on there soon

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the wonderful and very flattering review and rating, Neg! My ego has grown quite a little today thanks to you. :-D

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm happy to announce that this edit is now available in the usual place on SL DVD (RS and MF) and AVI (MF). :)

BladeRunner391

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry's Batman: Descent into Mystery, more than two years in the making, is one of the best fanedits I've ever had the pleasure of viewing, and hands down my new favorite Batman film! The amount of effort put into this really shows, and at no point did this feel like a fanedit. Great work!

The audio and visual editing are top notch. Nothing was out of place and the audio work is very professional. The new color correction is remarkable and very film noirish.

The fact that you removed the romance element of the film while simultaneously improving the narrative proves just how pointless and unneeded the love story really was. Batman is now not only the main focus of the film (Which is one of the main problems with the original), but he is also more faithful to the comics. The intercutting between Batman's and Joker's origins works very well. The removal of Prince's music and out of character moments makes for a much improved movie!

The extra features were very intriguing, particularly Blueyoda's surreal The Killing Joke short. The color correction comparison and black and white Joker reveal looked great, and overall the presentation is exceptional!

I can gladly say this is not only the best Batman movie ever, but also one of my new favorite movies, and will earn a place on my shelf. Thank you for a very enjoyable birthday evening Dwight! Now you definitely have do to Batman Returns! :)

Audio/Video Quality: 10/10
Visual Editing: 10/10
Audio Editing: 10/10
Narrative: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Overall Rating: 10/10

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks a lot for such a kind review, BR! And happy, happy birthday! :)

lauren+batman+birthday+cake+1.gif

Now, I don't know if I want to do Returns. I've considered it, I've toyed with ideas and possibilities, but I've come to the conclusion that it's not really a Batman movie at all, it's just a Tim Burton personal allegory disguised as a Batman movie. And I don't know if it can be "Batmanized" enough without it all falling apart. It's a completely different beast altogether than the '89.

However, this won't be my final Bat-edit: When (and if, he's just that busy a man) JMB comes back to the forums, we will be doing Batman Forever together, as promised.

BladeRunner391

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds awesome man! This edit exceeded all of my highest expectations, and was worth the wait! :)

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review posted @ IFDb:

I was obsessed with this movie when it came out. I was never really into comic books, so my only real exposure at the time to Batman was from reruns of the 60s live action show and the Super Friends animated show. Needless to say, Burton's Batman was the antithesis of what I knew Batman to be. And it was awesome. I watched it several times in the theatre, had all the action figures and even collected the trading cards. My VHS copy was heavily worn. Somewhere along the line I became a teenager and mostly forgot the childhood obsession I had with the movie. I've probably only watched it a handful of times in the last 20+ years. There have been a few of fanedits of this film in the past and, for the most part, they weren't very well done. Suffice it to say, I was a little skeptical with this edit, but I gave it a shot. And I'm glad I did.

A/V Quality: Perfect.

Visual Editing: I didn't notice the colour correction. This is a good thing. The before and after shots in the bonus features were really eye opening.

Audio editing: Perfect.

Narrative: This film is so ingrained in my mind that any changes feel odd, but not necessarily in a bad way. Removing a forced romance is almost always a good move and it is not missed one bit. But, you also lose a lot of the Bruce Wayne scenes in the process and subsequently, you get the feeling that you don't really know much about the character. Yes, it adds to the mystery, but that's not necessarily a good thing. I'd say the end justifies the means in order to get rid of the romance. I liked pretty much all the cuts that were made except for one: the reveal of Jack as Bruce's parents' killer. As I said, I'm not into comic books, so getting the movie closer to the source material does nothing for me. From a storytelling perspective, it's a great twist and makes the hero/villain relationship go beyond the basic good vs evil and brings it down to a personal level. I think removing it hurt the narrative. Other than that, I loved the cutting done to the bell tower scene, but I think you went a bit too far. Now, instead of being the ultimate climax to the film, it plays out almost like just another action sequence.

Enjoyment: Despite my small criticisms above, I thoroughly enjoyed this edit. The technical aspects are perfect and it was a great way to experience the film again. Some aspects are better than the original and some are not. I don't think it will replace the original, but a worthy alternative version. I'd highly recommend to any Batman fan.

Bonus Features: Including a blueyoda short along with this was a bold move. Blueyoda is a master, and his short is great. I almost enjoyed it more than the main feature. If this was included with Batman Consecution, it would easily be one of the best edits on the disc. As I said before, the colour correction comparison was really eye opening and incredibly well done. And the alternate Joker reveal was really interesting, but you made the right choice in not including it.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks a whole lot, Adabisi! Glad you liked it overall. :)

True that we lose quite a bit of Bruce Wayne, but about all that's lost is related to the romance and that's the only aspect that gets developed. As you say, the end justified the means.

Re: the parents' killer - It's interesting to know the perspective of someone not into the comic books, but still I think it's pretty lazy writing anyway and all too convenient. It's like Hollywood is terrified of leaving loose ends and everything needs to be nicely wrapped. Anyway, I wonder what I would think about the movie version of the murder if I didn't know the comic book one, but overall I find more interesting that Batman's character was formed by someone who didn't grow to become a supervillain, as one feels that his one goal is fighting that supervillain and not crime in general. As for the tower, the random goons were just unacceptable, and the chitty chat between Bats and Joker was all about "You killed my parents, you made me, I made you first" so it needed to go.

What we do definitely agree on is how good the Blueyoda short is. I was very lucky to get such an extra feature for my release. He's just that great.

Again, thank you so much for your appreciation!

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gwalchmai said:
Is Blueyoda's short included with the avi version?

No. It would be a matter of asking him if he's okay with it being uploaded separately, or if he wants to make it available himself.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
Now, I don't know if I want to do Returns. I've considered it, I've toyed with ideas and possibilities, but I've come to the conclusion that it's not really a Batman movie at all, it's just a Tim Burton personal allegory disguised as a Batman movie. And I don't know if it can be "Batmanized" enough without it all falling apart. It's a completely different beast altogether than the '89.

Funny, for some reason BATMAN RETURNS has always been my favorite of the Batflicks. While I agree, it is highly divergent from the comics, it at the same time had more of BatMyth feel to it than the 89 flick. I thought Bruce had better character moments, I thought the dynamic between Batman and Catwoman rocked and Alfred stole every scene he was in. As for Penguin, the twisted, darkness of the reimagined character as kooky as it was, I found sickly entertaining. Hhhhmmmmm.... then again, maybe it was just Michelle Pfeiffer in the cat suit I liked so much LOL!

Re: the parents' killer - It's interesting to know the perspective of someone not into the comic books, but still I think it's pretty lazy writing anyway and all too convenient. It's like Hollywood is terrified of leaving loose ends and everything needs to be nicely wrapped. Anyway, I wonder what I would think about the movie version of the murder if I didn't know the comic book one, but overall I find more interesting that Batman's character was formed by someone who didn't grow to become a supervillain, as one feels that his one goal is fighting that supervillain and not crime in general. As for the tower, the random goons were just unacceptable, and the chitty chat between Bats and Joker was all about "You killed my parents, you made me, I made you first" so it needed to go.

I agree whole heartedly with you on this one Dwight. I love the fact, the one crime Batman can never solve, the driving force of his whole existence, is the murder of his parents. It was just a dark, twist of fate, just some random, nameless street scum criminal who would create the world's greatest detective.

Top Bottom