• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Batman Begins: Dark Cut by JMB

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A more streamlined version of Batman Begins, with fewer cheesy jokes, less un-Batman-like behavior and, most importantly, a more tolerable Katie Holmes.

what kind of fanedit (true fanedit = TF, extended edition = EE, special collection & preservation = SP):? TF
tagline: It Begins Again.
original film name: Batman Begins, Bourne Ultimatum (insert footage)
new film name :?Batman Begins: Dark Cut
film studio name :?Warner Brothers
edit crew name :?JMB
Date Original Film Was Released: June 15, 2005?
Date Edit Was Released: May 31, 2009
Original Runtime :?140 mins
New Runtime :?123 mins
Amount of time Cut/Added :?15 mins
Cuts removed/added/extended :?I've worked on this for so long and made so many changes- this is at least Version 6 of this fan edit. Here's the basic lowdown:

-Cut out the forced humor and reduced the cheesier dialogue throughout.
-Batman does not use explosives wantonly (i.e. the mini mines on the prison doors at Arkham or the ones dropped from the back of the Tumbler) nor does he use guns on anyone, even by proxy (helping shoot the thug in the foot)
-There is a major change to the character of Rachel Dawes.
-Joe Chill's assassination plays out differently
-Removed Batman's encounter with the kid outside of Crane's apartment
-There is no rooftop Tumbler. Batman jumps from the roof to the freeway.
-Gordon does not drive the Tumbler to Wayne Tower. It navigates itself via onboard GPS and targets the monorail support itself.
-New end credits

For the full list of changes:

Cut young Bruce waving at young Rachel after the funeral. Way too goofy looking, plus now he seems more isolated.

Big Change: the adult Rachel has a new voice- I digitally pitched down Katie Holmes' voice throughout the entire film. I was amazed at how much this changed the performance and her "believability factor". She actually sounds like an adult now. It really was a game changer for this FE.

Cut around Katie Holmes' preposterous off look while delivering the line "She misses this place"

Cut Joe Chill taking a seat during the trial. In the next shot, he is standing again.

A big one here: Chill's assassination scene has been re-cut. Now he is shot by an anonymous sniper rather than the blond woman. Even if Falcone is above the law, why risk sending someone to march right up to Chill (in front of the DA and a dozen cops) and implicate himself in the killing ("Falcone says hi!"). I mean, clearly he fears prosecution on some level, otherwise why kill Chill before he testifies? Wouldn't this simply add more fuel to the fire? Plus it just raises too many questions. Who is the woman, and why would she go to jail for murder on Falcone's behalf? Of course, there could be a reasonable explanation for this, perhaps he holds something over her powerful enough to make her do it, but we never know. Having him killed by a sharpshooter makes more sense to me. For this I used footage from the Bourne Ultimatum (heavily color corrected), audio from Full Metal Jacket, and added music from the Batman Begins soundtrack.

Cut out some of the meeting between Bruce and Falcone. Falcone does not say "Now that's power you can't buy", "Bang", and does not mention that Chill told him that his Father "begged, like a dog". Um, Bruce was there! He knows that's not true. Also cut Falcone's bizarre look around the restaurant after Bruce is tossed out.

Cut out the Homeless Guy's additional "It's a nice coat" mutterings, as it is an obvious set-up for the lame gag that comes later (and that has also been removed).

Removed Ken Watanabe's (Ras Al Ghul) eyebrow movement during the delivery of the line "The city has become a breeding ground for suffering and injustice." It just screamed: "Hello, I'm dastardly!"

Cut Ras Al Ghul's (over)reaction after smacking Bruce in the face during the swordfight. More dastardliness.

Reworked Lucius Fox's dialogue in the Tumbler test sequence. Instead of "During combat, two of these would jump over a river towing cables" he says "During combat, SHE would jump over a river towing cables", indicating a single Tumbler exists. Otherwis/e, where is the other Tumbler? It is not shown or mentioned anywhere in this or the Dark Knight, even after the Tumbler self-destructs. If a second one shows up in the third movie, I'll stand corrected, but as it is now it seems like an oversight. Maybe that's why they could never get the damn bridge to work.

Re-cut Batman's first appearance at the docks. Added a metal banging noise as "Stice" is pulled into the container by Bats. If he pulled him at that velocity to disable him, there would have been some sort of impact noise. Also removed the "Jumpy Thug". Worst. Thug. Ever. Reduced the amount of time Falcone sits in the limo before Bats yanks him out. Cut out the Homeless guy reappearing just for the "Nice coat" gag. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The same guy, 7 years later, just happens to be there casually eating out of a can while all this goes down. Sure.

Heavily re-ordered Rachel and Batman's meeting. Added a "Thwack" as she hits the first goon with her purse. Removed "That's right you better run" line, removed her startled yelp. Also reordered the dialogue between her and Bats.

Cut Batman encountering the kid outside of Crane's apartment - for obvious reasons. Batman happens to rescue the same kid later? Lame setup, plus I don't believe Batman would give the kid a piece of his gear. It's evidence. Plus I hate that kid. Deep down I think we all do really. After my mom watched Batman Begins she said: "I bet that kid grows up to be Robin." I said: "I don't know you, lady."

Cut out Batman attaching his gun and grapple line to his belt as he escapes from Crane's apartment. The footage re-appears later in the film. Keep reading.

Cut Rachel's line "You enjoy your party Bruce, some of us have work to do". Seriously, what does she expect him to do, come with her? Needlessly bitchy. Now she just says "Happy Birthday", and leaves.

Cut out Earle's Line to Fox "Didn't you get the memo?" Too much of a setup for a dated gag.

Took out shot of Rachel's car approaching Arkham. Unnecessary, except perhaps to show Arkham's proximity to a bridge, which isn't that important. Besides, she appears to be in the building 5 seconds later. And it flows better from the previous scene this way. So there.

Altered Katie Holmes' dialogue with Crane to make her delivery a little less stilted. Also cut out the bits about "in here only the mind can grant you power", and "I do what I do to keep thugs like Falcone behind bars...whatever, whatever". We get it. Crane's a nut. Rachel's a do-gooder.

Cut Rachel's scream in the elevator after Crane blasts her with the fear toxin. Well, somewhat. It now blends in with the high-pitched string attack in the soundtrack. Also cut her subsequent scream when Crane yells "Who knows?"

Reworked the thug dialogue. Trimmed the head off the line "You want the cops here" so he doesn't draw out the "you" so much. Cut out the crap about "can he really fly?" and so forth. The thugs are meant to be a little dim, not retarded.

Batman no longer twists the one thug's arm to shoot the other in the foot. Batman doesn't shoot people, even by proxy.

Cut Batman blowing open the cell door to escape Arkham. First of all, he found a way in without blowing anything up, he would have had his escape route planned a little better. Second, he just uses explosives way too much in general in this movie. It would always be his last resort.

OK, this is a big one: the Batmobile chase. There are a few major changes here. The biggest is the rooftop chase. It's gone. The Tumbler jumps from the roof to the freeway ramp. Also cut a few little things on the way: No "Hold on" line. No smashing through the building. No "What are you doing" "Shortcut" and the stupid parking attendant looking in his stupid Starbucks coffee cup as the Tumbler goes by. It was funny in Superman 2. Not here. Also, Batman does NOT drop explosives to deter the cops. Again, last resort and WAY too dangerous. Cut the "At least tell me what it looks like" and "Never mind." lines. The "Black tank" gag was funny. This one: not. Plus, that's the same cop on the rooftop who says "turn off your engines, step away from the car." Seriously. Check it out. Same guy. Another big change is I tweaked Batman's voice when you hear it from Rachel's perspective, so that you feel more like she is freaking out from the toxin. And I added some visual hallucination effects when he turns to her and says "Stay with me". Everything else looks distorted to her, why not Batman? Lastly, cut the Tumbler smashing through the structure after he ditches the cops, so he seems to leave less of a trail. The edits in this scene (I hope) put more focus on Rachel?s condition and make the chase seem much more urgent.

Cut the shot of the technician at the end of the "must be a compound that has to be absorbed through the lungs" line to eliminate some of the annoying facial expression that makes me want to punch him in the face.

In the Batcave following the chase, I replaced Christian Bale's "How do you feel" line with a slightly growlier reading to match his next line. He kind of says it in his natural voice, which is odd. He gets less growly as the scene goes on anyway, but now it's more of a progression. Also altered Rachel's line from "it was, it was Dr. Crane" to simply "It was Dr. Crane".

Cut Alfred's line about his preference for Taiwanese prostitutes. Just seeing if you're paying attention.

Cut the nebulous explanation of the League of Shadows using "economics" to attack Gotham previously. It was pointed out to me by an economist that there is no real way for one group to run a specific city into the ground using economics. Plus it seems like kind of a cheap way to tie Bruce's parents back into the story.

Cut Alfred's line "Master Wayne, Master Wayne" now he just says it once.

Cut Rachel's "I'm a Gotham District Attorney, let me pass" line. Sure thing, killer!

Put the scene of Batman suiting up a little earlier, so it seems like he has more time to get where he needs to be.

Reordered the interaction between Gordon and Loeb. Cut Loeb's line "Come on, somebody talk to me. COME ON!"

The Tumbler does not jump across the river and Batman and Gordon do not have their expository conversation. Batman does not let Gordon drive the Batmobile, and the bridge does not come back down.

Trimmed a little off the scene where Crane finds Rachel and the kid. There was too much of a gap between her telling the kid "no one's going to hurt you" and Crane saying "of course they are" - he would have been out of earshot. This scene plays continuously now as Crane chases them down since the shots of Gordon and the Batmobile have been removed. Same with Batman swooping down and grabbing Rachel and the kid. Added a shot of the rooftops to breakup the shot of them zipping up to the roof and the shot of them on the roof.

Removed Rachel's line " you could die". Also, she does not say "Bruce?" right before he jumps. She purses her lips and you get the idea she is going to say it, but he jumps before she gets it out.

Added dialogue from the Batman Begins videogame as Bats glides to the monorail platform. Now, as he flies, he has the following conversation with Alfred via communicator:

Communicator beeps.

Alfred.

Sir?

I'm going after the microwave emitter.

Of course sir. And the Batmobile?

Shot of the Batmobile roaring to life and zooming offscreen.

The Batmobile's my failsafe.

Very sensible sir.

Another shot of the Batmobile heading towards Wayne Tower. The Batmobile's female computer voice says "GPS Online"

The next scene, with Batman fighting the League of Shadows ninjas now plays as a continuous fight scene. Batman does not lose his grapple gun in the fight, instead he drops to the street with the last ninja, the crowd comes at him, he shoots the grapple gun at the departing Monorail, and as the crowd is grabbing at him, he zooms off to safety. (this is where I used the earlier footage of Bats attaching the grapple gun and wire to his belt) From this point on, I cut out any shots of Gordon in the Batmobile, so now it appears as if it drives itself (via its onboard GPS) to Wayne Tower while Batman is fighting Ras in the monorail car.

Removed the dreadlocked guy: "Nice ride!" What. The. Hell.

Batman does not smash through the metal sign or whatever it is.

Reduced some of the Water Board technician's presence. Sorry Shane Rimmer! I gave you a credit at the end to make up for it.

More of the fight between Ras and Bats is played continuously. When Batman says "Who said anything about stopping it"? Ras looks up at the damaged monorail controls and we hear the Batmobile?s computer voice say "Weapons system activated", followed by a shot of the Batmobile's missles engaging. Then I added a new HUD display inside the Batmobile which shows it targeting the monorail support. Then the Batmobile shoots a missile into the Monorail supports, which causes the track to collapse. I also inserted a shot of the minimine activating in Batman's hand. Thos footage came from the scene where he blows open the cell door at Arkham. Since I cut that, I was free to use it here. I was happy about this, since it wasn't really too clear that he used one on the back of the monorail car. A tiny change, but one of my favorites.

Added more dialogue from the videogame after the monorail explosion. This was necessary because without the added length of the shots of Gordon getting out of the Tumbler and waving at Batman etc, it felt rushed into the next scene of Earle coming into Wayne Enterprises the next day. Wayne Enterprises being involved and the idea of dealing with the mess "tomorrow" is brought up by Alfred and helps bridge the scenes. As the toxin dissipates, we hear Alfred over Batman's communicator:

Why do I have the feeling that Wayne Enterprises will be writing a check tomorrow to the Gotham Water Authority for steam damage?

Batman replies as he glides away from the builidng:

Just leave me a blank place to sign.

Cut out Lucius' "Didn't you get the memo" retort. It plays well enough with "Right you are, Mr. Wayne" and Earle's expression.

This final section was interesting. In my first version, as Rachel apologizes to Bruce in the ruins of Wayne Manor, I had originally cut right to their kiss after she delivers the lines "I never stopped thinking about you. And when I heard you were back I started to hope" and cut her lines after that about "this is your mask, blah blah blah". The look on her face as they ended the kiss I felt was sufficient to show she knew they wouldn't be together. It worked OK. But when I recut it for widescreen, I started wondering if I couldn't improve on it. I came up with the concept of taking her line to Bruce at the restaurant "Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be" and inserting it into the scene somehow. It ended up syncing over her lip movements better than I could have ever expected, especially given the difference between the new and original lines. So now she says "Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be", they kiss, then she says "Maybe someday when Gotham no longer needs Batman, I'll see him again." It works very, very well if I do say so myself. It's absolutely my favorite cut of the whole thing. It calls back to her earlier line and gives a definite closure.

Added new end credits.

Fanedit details:?1.2GB AVI
DVD: NTSC SL DVD, 5.1 ac-3 audio, animated menus with sound.

Your intention for this fanedit:? To create a more satisfying, streamlined movie by eliminating contrived jokes, removing some un-Batman-like behavior and, most importantly, making Katie Holmes a more tolerable presence.

Your way to achieve your intention: ?Hmmm, let's see... micro-analyzing every minute detail, driving friends, relatives and strangers to distraction with endless questions, not sleeping for extended periods of time and, finally, editing. Then thinking I'm done. Then re-editing. Thinking I'm done again. Then re-editing again. And again. And so on. Oh, and did I mention the hard drive failures? For the full, ugly story check out the forum topic:
http://www.faneditforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1397
Or you can wait for the DVD audio commentary.

Hardware and software information (what did you use to create your fanedit): ?iMac G4 Running OSX 10.4, Mac The Ripper, Cinematize Pro, iMovie 6 HD, GarageBand, Bias Peak and Soundsoap, After Effects, Photoshop, Image Ready, Quicktime Pro, Compressor
Additional Comment: Special thanks to Boon, Kolpitz, AvP, Mollo and Throw.
Time needed for the edition: A long time. A really, really, really long time. A very long time indeed.
Persons involved: ?3: JMB- editing, Throw/Boon- DVD menus and authoring

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points

review by boon23

Prologue:
I have been involved in the discussion of this project since it was announced a long time ago. I am also probably the only FE member who has watched the first release of this fanedit as it was sent to me by jmb. It was a fullscreen version, but it blew me away and I was patiently waiting for the final widescreen release with all the cool changes and improvements. JMB is one of the most devoted faneditors I have ever met. On the way to this release he went through so much fault and error, yet he never gave up and I have a huge respect for that.
I consider BATMAN BEGINS a great movie and more consistent and thrilling than DARK KNIGHT. This is not always the best premises for watching a fanedit that is supposed to even improve on the original, but because I knew the first version, I was aware that it was indeed possible.

As for all my reviews: this is just my personal opinion of this fanedit. I cannot tell anybody else, if he or she will experience it in the same way or the opposite. So my review is not objective and does not reflect the opinion of fanedit.org.

!!!!This review contains heavy spoilers!!!

The edit:
There are so many small but important changes to the movie that it is unnecessary to list them all, just that they work marvelously. Just 2 of many examples: Ken Watanabe's appearance is a lot improved. The dock fight is so much more powerful and the lame one-liners are never missed at all. JMB managed to give a lot more depth to this movie and I enjoyed watching it for the most part.
The idea to not have Gordon drive the Bat mobile was well done and worked well, yet to me the entire final battle scene felt more flat than it was in the original. The panic over Gotham did not get to me so much, I was less thrilled and somehow pulled out of the movie.
The voices from the game did not work too well for me.
Rachel's deeper voice is a very nice idea, however at some points she sounds artificial and there are several scenes, when an audio change (as if switching from mono to stereo) can be heard.
To me the edit was great for about 105 minutes and lost a lot of its drive in the last 15 minutes. Still it is an awesome job.

editing: 8 of 10 (beautifully edited, but the finale of the original had to me a lot more impact)
entertainment: 7 of 10 (original 9 of 10)(I love the original movie and although this one has many improvements, I will still rather watch the original).

Image and video quality:

The image quality is perfect and there are no hard cuts at all in the movie. The entire editing was done with an incredible amount of care and considering the huge changes a piece of art.
Video quality: 10 of 10

Audio editing and audio quality:
The audio was unfortunately a problem at times as mentioned above. The change of Rachel's voice did not work perfectly IMO and lead to some occasions that pulled me out of the movie. The game voices did not match the movie voices. There are a few scenes, where an audio channel switch is noticeable. But for 95% of the edit the audio is perfect and it was a great effort to make this possible.
audio editing: 8 of 10
sound quality: 9 of 10
resulting in a 9 of 10 for overall audio

presentation:
It's an avi and it looks great. Cover art is attached and the info given is very detailled. The DVD will come with a few nice extras and animated menus. The beginning was altered and the end credits were self created, looked great and were perfectly synced with the music.

This results in a 10 of 10 rating from me for presentation.

Final result: 8 of 10 (because I do not rate a fanedit more than 1 point higher or lower than its entertainment to me).

This is hereby approved for fanedit.org.
Thanks, jmb, for creating and releasing it. We have been waiting for this for a long time and it's a really nice fanedit. Recommended.
approved.png

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
(didnt read boons review yet)
Big congratulations on the release of this edit JMB, I cant wait to (finally) watch it.
:)

Kolpitz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's finally here! Congrats, JMB. I'll be checking this out soon hopefully.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well done JMB! It's been a long haul.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aye; congratulations, sir! :)

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw Batman Begins when it was released and I was one of the minority that was disappointed. Hearing all the constant praise this movie was continuing to receive, I thought I would see it again. So, a few month's ago I saw it for a second time and although I enjoyed it a lot more, I still found it an average super-hero movie. I know it is out of step with consensus but I prefer the Burton versions.

Finally, JMB has released his 'Dark Cut'. The story behind it's creation is a drama in itself. So after many trails and tribulations it is here but has JMB improved the original?

JMB's Batman Begins: Dark Cut starts like the original. I noticed hardly any changes until Rachel talks. Her new voice works surprisingly well in the first kitchen scene.

I am not sure how the sniper could assassinate Chill while he is established as being inside the walls of the court house. The sniper is established as being in another building. If Chill had been outside, say on the court-house steps, it would have worked. This change felt strange and took me out of the FanEdit for a brief moment.

The homeless guy and kid set-ups are well removed. Rachel's 'happy birthday' is a nice touch and adds a little depth to what was the original 'bitchy' version.

The Batmobile chase sequence is a great improvement over the original and probably is the highlight of this FanEdit. The added audio and visual effects to show Rachel's poisoning are excellently done.

I never liked the fact that Gordon drives the Batmobile during the climax of the original motion picture and it feels more "Batman" if it is controlled unmanned as in this Fanedit. So this idea is a sound one. The addition of dialogue from the game to explain this, works well (slight audio difference) but why the Batmobile then crashes into stationary objects as if out of control is odd.

The additional dialogue directly after the explosion about "writing a check" and Batman's response feels awkward, as does a POV shot through a window with a computer display to the right of the screen. Who's POV is it? It would have been better to have no dialogue at all and simply see the Batmobile at rest amongst the wreckage and then Batman flying away. Batman Begins is dialogue heavy so a moments pause would have worked.

Rachel's line about "deep down you may still be that same great kid" does feel like an overdub due to the change in audio ambiance and quality.

The avi is very good quality and I noticed no hard audio or visual cuts. I am not sure this FanEdit improves or is a significant enough re-telling of Batman Begins. The necessary removal of some clichéd humor and the Batmobile chase are it's greatest assets.

7/10

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not to sound ungrateful but... How long til DVD gets released?
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
a few days. Should be up on friday or saturday.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome! Like I told JMB, I have been holding off watching Jorges TDK:R final release (I saw the Dark audience cut though) until BB:DC hits the scene. That way it'll be a Batman FE double feature.

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed this fan edit a lot. Very nice work. All the little things that irked me about the theatrical version are thankfully gone here. The only problem I had was I too feel that Homes' voice was too low. Whenever she was talking I was also taken out of the film and found myself thinking "Maybe it shouldn't have been THAT deep." There were a few lines in the movie were her voice wasn't that deep and I found myself going back to hear it again just make sure that it wasn't her normal voice.

But anyway I'm nitpicking, and I could go on forever about Bale's Batman voice. It's too bad nothing can be done about that. The scene where he talks to her in the Batcave, and his voice is less growly, is IMO, how he should talk as Batman all the time. Keaton didn't overdo it, and no one ever made fun of his Batman voice the way everyone does with Bale's.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
holy shit-nuggets!! its here!!! I am gone for a bit and all wonderousness happens. :) cant wait to see it.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Because of a delay with JMB's extras the DVD will have to wait a bit longer. Sorry, guys.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh barnacles!
...whats another few days/weeks :)

kaine23

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Considering I'm in a Batman mood right now I'll check this out. Should look good next to Jorge's TDK on my shelf. :)

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

review by blueyoda

Prologue:
Let me begin by saying that I only saw Batman Begins once. I'm one of the few who was annoyed by the movie. Although it was undeniably the best, most faithful adaptation of the comic book ever commited to screen in terms of tone, some things irked me enough that I never felt the need to see it a second time; Kathy Holmes' atrocious performance and Batman's cluelessness being two major points.

I am a huge fan of the Batman, mostly because of the comic book; The Dark Knight Returns, Year One and The Killing Joke are the "definitive" comics that left their mark on me when I was younger and shaped my idea of who Batman is and why he does what he does. I was really hoping that movie would capture the essence of what has made Batman such an enduring character for more than 70 years and although it succeeded in many aspects like the music, lighting and overall mood it let me down so hard on other, much more important elements like Bruce Wayne's whole character arc and the way he becomes Batman that I never went back to it. This edit completely changes that.

The edit:
There are many, many small changes in this movie that completely change our perception of it. Batman is a much leaner, much more focused and dangerous character than in the theatrical version of the movie. I remember not thinking much of the dock fight in the theater but here the scene is incredibly effective, almost playing out like a horror movie. Batman is now a force of vengeance, the symbol Liam Neeson taught him to be, a shadow from which no criminal is safe. Like the best boogeymen in movies he is unseen but terrifying and from then on it is clearly established that this is a man who has become "more than a man". He has become fear itself.

One of the biggest change in this edit is to Kathy Holmes' character. JMB, in a stroke of genius, has altered her voice in every single one of her lines of dialog to make her sound deeper and more intelligent. Gone is the giggly cheerleader voice that took me out of the movie and made me cringe at every single one of her appearances; her character now has depth. Saying her character is improved would be a gross understatement; her performance is completely transformed into something that, not only no longer sticks out like a sore thumb, but is actually believable and up to par with the other great performances in the movie. This is truly the essence of fanediting; being able to think outside of the box to create a better viewing experience for the audience.

The other major change is the Batmobile. It now has a life of its own, quite litterally; Gordon no longer drives it at the end, it drives itself. Like Batman, it has become much more dangerous and is now a symbol of fear, becoming more than just a vehicle. It is now a monstruous beast, Batman's faithful stead born out of the same darkness and who'll follow him thru hell. I cannot underline how big an effect this change makes to Batman's character who is now completely in control of the situation. No longuer dependant on other's collaboration, Batman knows exactly what he's doing and you better not stand in his way.

Editing: 10 of 10 - Seamless. No lost frames, not hard cuts and a much tighter movie and it is hard to believe this is a firstling effort.
entertainment: 9 of 10 - see below.

Image and video quality:
Perfect image quality. If the avi looks this good, this will simply look stunning on DVD.
Video quality: 10 of 10

Audio editing and audio quality:
I did not notice the other reviewers' qualms about the videogame audio used; everything flowed beautifully to me. Perhaps a second viewing would make me notice it but in the heat of seeing this new take so masterfully done, it has gone by unnoticed by this reviewer. One part, which only lasted a few seconds, could have been more "rounded" but it came and left so quickly that it didn't have time to really draw me out of the movie.
audio editing: 9 of 10
sound quality: 9 of 10

Presentation:
The avi is as good as an avi can get. I did not care much for the end credits which to me felt a little too bold and in your face, giving it a TV feel, but by then the movie was over and this is honnestly just nitpicking.
9 of 10

Final result: 9 of 10

This is a replacement disc for me. This movie was enjoyed with someone who is not a fan of superhero movies and who had not seen Batman Begins. Typically she will talk endlessly during any movie that doesn't draw her in but here she was silent the whole way thru - except during the dock fight when Batman takes out the first thug where she burst out in exitement: "You're all f*cked!".

This is the Batman I've always wanted to see on screen. The whole story now makes sense and respects its own plan laid out in the first part; for Bruce Wayne to instill fear into the hearts of criminals, he must become more than a man. He must become a symbol. Fear itself. And this is exactly what this edit achieves to make us believe. Batman Begins: The Dark Cut is now a movie worthy of its best source material and along with Donner's Superman movies, one of the best superhero movies I've seen.

kaine23

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching this and enjoyed it.

Dark Cut is an effort to take out some of the goofier parts of batman Begins and make it a better, tighter movie. JMB succedded in his task. The biggest edits he made were changing katie Holmes voice and the scene with the Tumbler so that Gordon wasn't driving. Both changes to me, were a success. I enjoyed the more mature voice of the Rachael character in this one and after finishing DC, I popped my BB dvd in to hear what was changed. Now I prefer the voice change in DC to that of the official dvd.

The other big change was taking Gordon out from driving the Tumbler and making it drive itself, which was a success. It gave it a life of its own and made it a more fearsome vehicle.

Aside from the other edits made to tighten up the story and remove the goofier aspects, JMB also inserted a voiceover from the batman Begins video game. To me, I felt it added to the story and didn't distract me or throw in any useless information to disrupt the scene.

Audio and video were as great as you can find on an avi, perhaps even better. I did find a couple slight video breaks, but nothing major. No hard cuts or jumpy scene changes were found by my eyes either.

The new end credits were good too, though a bit "in your face" as someone previously mentioned.

In all, this is a 9 out of 10 and I anxiously await the dvd edition to put this on my fanedit shelf next to Jorge's TDK.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blue Yoda's review makes me scream - DVD! NAO!
:smile: pretty please :smile:

Top Bottom