• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman Begins: Dark Cut by JMB

don't die so soon. It will come. I am still waiting for some extras by JMB.

NTSC SL DVD now available on fanedit.info.
If there is a huge desire for a DL version, this can be also uploaded.

AWESOME!!!
I have been waiting sooooo long for this.
I'd be interested in a DL version for sure!

A truly awesome job. Was talking with friends a while back that The Dark Knight had shown the holes in this & you have fixed them. I now do not groan through the poorly placed humor because now there is non.
The computer game audio fit in perfect for me & after the first few times I heard Kate Holmes new voice I could not remember her real one (And I found it strangely sexy lol)
Enjoyed it so much It inspired me to finish one I was working on. Cheers JMB look forward to your next effort.

Is there a DVD version coming soon?

Hey everyone, awesome job with this. 10/10 for this. The Dark Knight gets the treatment in his first movie that he needed in the first place. The only humor joke that I am to sad to not see anymore was when Alfred was taking Rachel home and putting her into the car. But other than that, this movie seems to flow really well with it. And also, I had a chance to compare the tumbler chase in the original movie and than the tumbler chase in this. The tumbler chase works better the way it is now. The only purpose in the original it had was to show off the car in the cinema. Can't wait to see what ur next work is.

Sorry Boon. My Bad. :razz:

Not checked the thread in a couple of days & just went for it.

Hey boon,

I'm using jdownloader to get the DVD version off RS and it doesn't seem to want to get RAR #10 for some reason. Can you check behind the scenes and make sure that file is uploaded and intact, and that the jd dlc file is referencing its location correctly?

Ziz said:
Hey boon,

I'm using jdownloader to get the DVD version off RS and it doesn't seem to want to get RAR #10 for some reason. Can you check behind the scenes and make sure that file is uploaded and intact, and that the jd dlc file is referencing its location correctly?

#10 came down fine for me, I haven't extracted yet though.

Ok, I left jd running overnight and it eventually got it. Must have been a connection thing.

Hi Everyone-

I want to offer a belated thanks to everyone involved in this project and also apologize for sort of dropping out of sight after the release. I spent so much of my time on this edit that I really was eager to disappear for a while, frankly. Even thinking about doing another edit makes me really, really sleepy. And now I've become way too busy to commit any sort of time to FE- for now anyway. I couldn't even find time to finish my 2 minute chase video! Hopefully I can contribute some more stuff in the future- it may only be in the form of moral support, but hey.

Thanks to everyone for your support of this project, all of your help, suggestions, comments etc. were instrumental in its completion. In particular, thanks to Boon, Throw, AvP, Mollo, Kolpitz and Blueyoda. Boon and Throw deserve an extra big hug for helping with the DVD- they were actually more involved in its release than me! Thanks also to all who watched it and took time to review it, I am happy it has been pretty well received. Oh, and sorry I couldn't come up with any extras for the DVD in the end. It came down to, again, having no time.

I will be checking in on you all from time to time. Please don't take my lack of activity as an absence of love for FE...

What special features on the dvd? I was curious cause i dont remember seeing exactly what was on there.

Finally got around to watching this,
When the thread was still going on about the edits I couldn’t wait for it, but for some reason I just downloaded and impatiently skipped to the newly edited things.
But after taking some time to watch it I must agree with everyone else here: this is a tremendous fanedit.
From a technical standpoint there are almost no problem (except at the end the new batmobile lines were a little low and the scene with Rachel at the end had noticeable louder music, but that’s just nitpicking) and the only things that detract from this edit are my personal opinions.
I love Batman Begins, I love extensive driving on the top of roofs, I love the fact that Gordon and Batman work together at the end since Gordon until then never had a shining role in Batman movies
But personal preferences aside: does this edit work?
Yes it does. Not having Gordon is my problem, the new take works as well as the original, it changes the mood of course, but it works nevertheless, same goes for the shortened chase sequence, I’m pretty sure that if you’ve never seen Begins you won’t notice the edits.
Katie Holmes’s voice works in 98% of the cases, only when the original voice tries to talk in a deep voice the new pitch sounds a bit awkward. A lot of cringy Rachel lines are thankfully gone as well and most of the things you don’t even miss.
Will this replace my DVD? No
But it is a very good alternate take on the source material: 8/10

Oh yeah, the review is about the mp4 since I have limited internet connection right now, so I can't judge the quality and special features

Figured I'd Go ahead and re-post my review here:

People are fanatical about a lot of things. Star Trek, Star Wars, James Bond, etc. etc. These are people who have watched these movies,read these books, and lived and breathed this stuff for as long as they care to remember. They know about as much about a subject as there is to be known, it’s a legitimate passion for them. Without trying to sound like I have that much of an ego, I consider myself one of these fanatics when it comes to Batman. I practically taught myself to read with the comics. And so that’s the baggage I took in with me when I went to watch Batman Begins for the first time, and now again when turning on this edit of the film.
I walked out of the theater after my first viewing of Batman Begins very, very happy as a fan of the character. IT was the first time the version of the character that I loved most had really been successfully realized on screen, for the most part, in my opinion. However. That doesn’t mean it didn’t have it’s flaws. It does. So when starting this up I was eager to see what JMB would do with the film. And in my opinion he took the ball and ran with it.

First and foremost, the technical aspects of this edit are stellar. The video looked identical to the quality of my DVD, and the sound was perfect as well. The only issues I had were not because of fault with the audio work at all, but rather some problems inherent in the technique used. JMB used some audio clips from the video game by way of explaining some of his editing choices, to make sure that some of his larger changes are understood clearly, while they sound clear and smooth they are also clearly from a different source and do not match the rest of the audio. We’ll get to that later though. There are no hard cutting or other visual or audio editing whiplashes that I could find. As such I give the Video/Audio an 8 or 9 out of 10.
Now on to the movie itself. JMB showed real intelligence and dedication here as he goes. There’s no edit that calls attention to itself at all. Having not read the cutlist I can honestly say that often times I was completely oblivious intellectually to many of the cuts, and that’s coming from somebody that knows Batman Begins backwards and forwards. Rather than consciously acknowledging many of these edits they served more to alter the mood and tone of the film. Providing a more vicious and visceral experience, with a deeper understanding of the psyche of Bruce Wayne. And for a movie that was already pretty deeply psychological that’s saying a lot. Now we’ve a more subtle, tighter, more refined film.

Other edits are of course more noticeable, and many of them are for the better. The removal of the goofy, utterly misplaced and misguided humor is hugely refreshing. In particular the removal of the “nice coat” set up and then pay off was a Godsend. Often times the original Batman Begins feels as though it’s hedging it’s bets, not wanting to go too dark or too serious for fear of alienating an audience that has been primed to expect Batman and Robin when it comes to their Batman films. Now that hemming and hawing is gone, and in it’s place is a more confident movie tonally and stylistically.

Batman himself is changed a great deal by these edits. Now instead of entering wanton destruction mode at the drop of a hat we have a Batman that, yes, is learning to be a hero but is also smart and calculated. Batman does not run around blowing everything in his path to smithereens for seemingly no reason. As a result the character becomes more fascinating and I found myself more easily able to root for him and his cause.

Of course…one of the biggest flaws of the movie has always been Katie Holmes. Something JMB attempted to fix in a truly inspired manner. He re-works all of Holmes dialogue giving her a deeper, more grown, mature adult voice. I was shocked how much just this small tweak, small in terms of the movie though undoubtedly a huge undertaking in terms of the work done to accomplish it, improves her very weak performance. In the original film Holmes seems girlish and outmatched as an actor at every instance. She does not belong on screen with the likes of Gary Oldman, Christian Bale, and Liam Neeson and I don’t think anybody would argue otherwise. Now however…just making her feel more adult helps considerably. I would be lying if I didn’t say that sometimes the audio re-working does not work, however. The voice coming from that character just does not match the fresh faced kid clearly on screen. Nor does it always seem to match the lip movements for some reason. Admittedly the lip movement problem could be caused by Katie Holmes perplexing habit of speaking every line of dialogue through the corner of her mouth as if the other side of her face has suddenly become stricken with paralysis. Over all this is probably the biggest plus of this edit aside from the removal of the goofy humor. Rachel Dawes is finally a believable strong, female character.

Unfortunately I think the biggest failing of this edit in my opinion is the final act, with Batman chasing down the Microwave Emitter. While I understand and respect what JMB did here, my own personal bias and some of the smaller issues with the audio not matching the video quite effectively dragged the Subway chase down making it feel somewhat flat and less interesting. Jim Gordon is and always have been my favorite character in the Batman pantheon, even more so than Batman himself, so for me seeing him driving the Batmobile in a real team up with Batman and seeing him play a true active role in the climax unlike the ineffectual Gordon of the Burton/Schumacher films – though it may have been somewhat goofy here or there – was really exciting and cool for me. The edit works this way, and makes sense, but it just doesn’t play as triumphant and heroic to me as the original climax.

It’s not helped by the video game dialogue overlays that I mentioned earlier. Unfortunately they are a necessity here in order to fully explain what’s happening. But the performances do not carry the right urgency and emotion, and don’t make much logical sense to me. They feel out of place, and that’s because they are. While I don’t fault JMB for using them, and respect what he was doing and do think that he accomplished his goal fairly effectively, my preference is still for the official movie climax with Jim Gordon. There’s more excitement in there for me.

That all said, faults aside, with some minor tweaking I would happily place this on the shelf as a replacement of the original Batman Begins as it is truly a masterful work. This is a highly enjoyable version of the movie, and a wholly new experience for a Batman that was already in love with this movie flaws and all. Thanks to JMB for all his hard work and I look forward to watching this edit of the movie again and again.
9 out of 10 overall rating.

Really enjoyed this edit. And am now looking forward to JMB and Dwight Fry's Batman Forever edit quite a bit more so.

So...I am new to the fanedit community, though I have nosed around the site for about a year now. After doing a little reading on the different fan edits I decided to download JMB's Dark Cut. I always liked Batman Begins, but felt that it had a few flaws that kept it from being excellent (Katie Holmes being the prime variable in that equation). So...I popped in Batman Begins and watched it like it was a new movie...

...and ruined myself for many fanedits I have watched since.

Seriously...this edit deserves some sort of Academy Award for making Rachel into a character that I can care about. If none of the other changes were made, the removal of some of her lines and the pitching down of her voice are alone worth this movie replacing the official release for me.

But...it didn't stop there. JMB went on to make thoughtful and careful cuts to many scenes in the movie. I applauded the removal of most of the silly humor. Who needs comic releif in a movie this great anyway? I used to love the line "you can't buy that kind of power" until I saw it removed.

The re-ordering of the ending was well executed. There was one slight moment in the kiss scene where I felt the editor, but it did not take me out of the movie...and was certainly better than the original ending.

I will leave a real review as soon as I have time and learn how, but for now I just want to say thanks for all of your effort. It was greatly appreciated. Most of the fanedits I see have a mixture of positive and negative elements, but I feel this one is great in its one right as well as truly exceeding the original. I think of this edit (along with adywans's ANH:R) as a replacement edit for me. I will not watch the original anymore.

Hope that wasn't too droolish...I try to be constructive...but sometimes there simply isn't anything to criticize.

I like this edit too, but disagree on Katie Holmes voice. It sounded strange to me. Why make her sound manish? I don't get it...

During the whole movie, JMB was trimming down Rachel Dawson's scenes, and tweaking the audio so her voice wasn't so annoying. His hatred for her character culminated toward the end of the movie, when Gotham was flooded with Hallucination gas:

Scarecrow was riding his fire-breathing horse up to Rachel. Right before Rachel tazes scarecrow, you can hear an audio line that JMB dubbed in (in scarecrow's voice): "I'm here to help!"

Rachel then tazes him in the face *zzzzzzzz*. As he rides off screaming, rachel shutters at what a close call that was.

rofl my sides are hurting. Genius, JMB

xebo,

The True Fanedit forum is not a place to start new threads about existing edits. Please post your comments about the edit in the edit's pre-existing thread. Thanks.

Threads merged.

I downloaded this edit some time ago and it's been my preferred version since. But if there is one thing I would've done differently, I would've saved the Rachel voice pitch change until we reach the present. During the flashback, they're still supposed to be young (like 19-20 I think). I also felt the pitch was a little too low. I wouldn't have deepened it that much.

Ok that's 2 things. Overall though the edit is perfect. Of the 20 or so fan edits in my collection this one is definitely one of my favs.

Can someone please address the scarecrow scene I was referring to? I'm laughing my a** off alone over here.

Back
Top Bottom