• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman and Robin: Deep Freeze (Yes, THAT Batman and Robin)

Glad to have been able to help with this! The results are wonderful. Now, someone send George Clooney a copy of the edit. His opinion on the movie is pretty much the same as everyone else's, so I suspect he might get a kick out of this version.

It is a GREAT edit! As I said in my review, I can not even believe it is even the same movie!?! That is how successful you were in altering the tone for me! It really did play like a Live Action Animated episode. 👍 😊

Tim Burton's Batman & Robin? Sounds excellent! I haven't been following this edit as I've only just now discovered it due to its release but looking at the rough draft of the opening on the first page, I think one more thing this film needs to truly lose the camp is to straighten the camera angles. The Schumacher films make constant use of canted angles and while those work wonders for the live-action cartoon they were making, they seem rather out of place in this more serious take. I don't know how doable it would be to rotate and crop them from 4K source but I think it'd be at least worth a shot. Of course it'd be quite a bit of work so I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to bother but I think it would massively benefit the film's style.

Tim Burton's Batman & Robin? Sounds excellent! I haven't been following this edit as I've only just now discovered it due to its release but looking at the rough draft of the opening on the first page, I think one more thing this film needs to truly lose the camp is to straighten the camera angles. The Schumacher films make constant use of canted angles and while those work wonders for the live-action cartoon they were making, they seem rather out of place in this more serious take. I don't know how doable it would be to rotate and crop them from 4K source but I think it'd be at least worth a shot. Of course it'd be quite a bit of work so I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to bother but I think it would massively benefit the film's style.
After the fish bowl looking shots in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, weird camera work doesn’t bother me nearly as much lol. For the amount of work I did on this edit, straightening camera angles is beyond anything I’m interested in tackling.

Feel free to have a go at it though!

That's fair. I'll probably give it a go if someday I decide to do a serious take on these films but for the time being I'm more interested in making a eurobeat rescore.

Speaking as a faneditor myself, 4k files are a storage-sucking pain in the neck. My computer is lucky enough to have both an AMD Ryzen 5 processor and an NVidia 1660Ti graphics card, and they still go through enough abuse with 1080p files on account of how many times I convert and export files alone.

Aside from that, though, I find that the loss in quality with rotating an image is a valid concern. I once had to zoom in a shot of Yoda for my Episode II fanedit, and it was a difficult decision, because I knew the quality loss would stand out from the rest of the scene.

Now, imagine that problem, but with the extra rotation added.

I find that in most cases, it's best to leave the camera angles be. Camera angles are the responsibility of the cinematographer, not the editor.

….with what is considered by some to be the worst superhero movie ever made.
Steel No GIF

Thank you @The Scribbling Man for taking the time to write a review. Sorry you were not a fan of the edit, but as you said, the material and I were a bit at war with each other and there's only so much that can be done with what is considered by some to be the worst superhero movie ever made.

Well, I for one think you did a great job with the material you were given. And considering that this is Batman & Robin we're talking about, I'd say getting a mediocre score is still a massive improvement over the original.

LOL, Steel likely contains the worst acting by the lead in any superhero movie, but there's a number of movies I think are worse overall, Batman & Robin included. The very worst ever for my tastes is probably Catwoman. Steel would have been decent with a capable actor in the lead, despite how fast and loose it plays with the source material. It plays like a Kenneth Johnson pilot, and we know he did a handful of decent ones. Only Shaq really sinks it.

Sorry you were not a fan of the edit, but as you said, the material and I were a bit at war with each other and there's only so much that can be done
Sometimes that's just how it is. I felt bad reviewing TM2YC's Ghostbusters III edit, because he did an excellent job (which I rated highly for the technical aspects), but I had to rate it low for enjoyment because the source material is just... uninteresting and bad. After all the hate the movie got from sexist internet trolls, and being a fan of all of the actresses in it, I really wanted to like it. I just didn't.

Sometimes that's just how it is. I felt bad reviewing TM2YC's Ghostbusters III edit, because he did an excellent job (which I rated highly for the technical aspects), but I had to rate it low for enjoyment because the source material is just... uninteresting and bad. After all the hate the movie got from sexist internet trolls, and being a fan of all of the actresses in it, I really wanted to like it. I just didn't.
I've long made peace with the fact that I'm likely the only male viewer who actually likes Ghostbusters 2016 as it is. Still, it's refreshing to read criticism of it that doesn't come from a place of bigotry.

In order to not further hijack Ed's thread: true that if you have a strong dislike for a film, it's very possible that no amount of fanediting will fix it for you. In the case of B&R, Scrib's review mentioned that the edit's approach made it difficult to enjoy the movie in an ironic way parallel to the Adam West show. Well, your mileage may of course vary, but as someone who absolutely adores the Adam West show, I've always found B&R (unedited) to be a turd sandwich. Trying to be funny and actually being funny are not the same.

Scrib's review mentioned that the edit's approach made it difficult to enjoy the movie in an ironic way parallel to the Adam West show.

Not quite. I was just posing the question. I also mention that I've not seen the original film since the '90s.

Hey, negative press seems to still be good press here today lol! I’ve had a new request to view the edit and Bob reminded me that Steel exists!

It was certainly not my intention to squash the edit's reputation or discourage in any way. I feel it's important to be honest in reviews, so I don't mince things (though I try to be constructive). And I feel like I should re-emphasise that while I didn't think the film was particularly good, I did enjoy the experience of the edit (7/10 enjoyment is not to be sniffed at!).

I'm glad it's already brought you more interest - I'm only one opinion, after all :)

Thank you @Ger for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! I'm glad the 40's comic book noir feel came through. I wish more 30's and 40's superhero period movies were made, but I guess there just isn't an audience for it.

Back
Top Bottom