• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman and Robin: Deep Freeze (Yes, THAT Batman and Robin)

That’s a great first scene for introducing Poison Ivy. I’m really looking forward to seeing this when it’s done, it looks charming and fun and just campy enough.

The Party Crashing scene. We get our first full appearance of Poison Ivy and her meeting with Mr. Freeze as he crashes the party. Initially, Ivy does a seductive dance in a gorilla outfit before taking it off to reveal her costume. In the original version we get a very 90's rock/sexy music as she makes her way to the stage (not without doing a gorilla roar at someone in her way and it seems like Bane is also there in the other gorilla suit). From that point on we get the infamous Batman Credit Card (never leave the cave without it) and Robin whining about Batman before Mr. Freeze crashes the party (does that make him the pahty pooper?) and typical cartoon fighting ensues with Freeze telling everyone to "chill" and somehow swinging from a vine to the stage to meet Ivy and exchange a few quips with her before escaping.

I present to you.....no gorilla suit, no Bat credit card, less whining, Freeze with no chill (pun intended), no quips with Ivy and all with new music. Ivy's seductive music is her theme by Elliot Goldenthal that really fit her exotic portrayal. The fight scene was scored using music from Arkham Origins and the aftermath is from Arkham City.

Password: fanedit.org

Last edited:
Very impressive audio work -- wow!

Did you add a bit of slo-mo when Freeze pulls the necklace off of Ivy?

Very impressive audio work -- wow!

Did you add a bit of slo-mo when Freeze pulls the necklace off of Ivy?
Yeah, I’m sure it sticks out. The alternative was having a random person comically fly across them as Freeze backs away. I tried a few different options and this seemed like an ok attempt. Do you think it works or is it too jarring?

Remarkable job! Just a few comments:

- While it certainly beats the alternative (the gorilla suit), I feel that there are too many shots in a row of the crowd (and B & R) looking at Ivy offscreen. In a better made movie, those would be intercut with some inserts of her that still held the reveal for later (things like a shadowy silhouette, a closeup of her lips blowing the poison, and such), which of course don't exist. I'd suggest cutting from B & R smelling the poison at 1:47 directly to the Ivy reveal, losing two shots of the crowd in between for better pacing. But, of course, that might totally ruin the music, which might not work at all if this is done.

- I feel there's a bit of audio drop after Freeze's line "Hand over the diamond". The transition is well done, but one gets the feel that the entire soundscape in the background changes at that spot (if what I'm saying even makes any sense). Some additional background audio there might help disguise it.

- The slo-mo shot does not bother me by itself, but since it's done with the (abysmal) internal Vegas slow down option, the movements are jerky. I'd recommend trying Twixtor for much smoother results (if you need help with this, shoot me a PM).

Yeah, I’m sure it sticks out. The alternative was having a random person comically fly across them as Freeze backs away. I tried a few different options and this seemed like an ok attempt. Do you think it works or is it too jarring?
No, it does not stick out. It is actually quite subtle. :)

Yeah it sticks out. If you want a good, smooth slowmo option for free (I think Twixtor is paid) look into FlowFrames. Easy too, GUI based. You just feed in a clip and it spits out a clip with double (by default) or quadruple frames. Works with clips in the form of a video file or an image sequence.

Remarkable job! Just a few comments:

- While it certainly beats the alternative (the gorilla suit), I feel that there are too many shots in a row of the crowd (and B & R) looking at Ivy offscreen. In a better made movie, those would be intercut with some inserts of her that still held the reveal for later (things like a shadowy silhouette, a closeup of her lips blowing the poison, and such), which of course don't exist. I'd suggest cutting from B & R smelling the poison at 1:47 directly to the Ivy reveal, losing two shots of the crowd in between for better pacing. But, of course, that might totally ruin the music, which might not work at all if this is done.

- I feel there's a bit of audio drop after Freeze's line "Hand over the diamond". The transition is well done, but one gets the feel that the entire soundscape in the background changes at that spot (if what I'm saying even makes any sense). Some additional background audio there might help disguise it.

- The slo-mo shot does not bother me by itself, but since it's done with the (abysmal) internal Vegas slow down option, the movements are jerky. I'd recommend trying Twixtor for much smoother results (if you need help with this, shoot me a PM).

Thank you!

- I looked it over again and I agree that it does go on a little too long with the crowd shots. I cut one shot of the crowd after B&R smell the toxin and that little cut did make a big difference in my opinion. It was the closeup of the crowd just before we see her. I wanted to keep them swaying to sell the idea that they're all enchanted by her toxin and under some sort of drug-like state.
- I had to bring the audio waaaay down so we could hear their dialogue. I looked at it again and I saw that I had room to increase their dialogue channel without needing to bring down the music so much so fast. I just fixed it and it isn't nearly as sudden as it was before.
- I checked out @addiesin's recommendation for the free program and that seems to have smoothed it out much better than Vegas. I'm not going to stress too much for a less than a second cutaway, but this program seems to have done the trick for this minor issue.

Last edited:
- I checked out @addiesin's recommendation for the free program and that seems to have smoothed it out much better than Vegas. I'm not going to stress too much for a less than a second cutaway, but this program seems to have done the trick for this minor issue.
I got so excited having a recommendation that I only mentioned the slowmo shot. I forgot to mention when I watched that clip, to me that shot was the only thing that stood out. I know the original film so I can see where the visual cuts are and they're really clever. Pacing broadly feels good to me. I don't miss anything that's gone.

Black and white looks good too. Not too contrasty, I can tell what I'm looking at.

I got so excited having a recommendation that I only mentioned the slowmo shot. I forgot to mention when I watched that clip, to me that shot was the only thing that stood out. I know the original film so I can see where the visual cuts are and they're really clever. Pacing broadly feels good to me. I don't miss anything that's gone.

Black and white looks good too. Not too contrasty, I can tell what I'm looking at.
Thanks man! This edit has definitely rejuvenated something inside of me.

Working on the chase scene now. The only thing I'm doing differently is swapping some music for when we hear any swells of the Goldenthal theme and cutting some Arnold lines. Batman will still mess with Robin's motorcycle only because it adds to the poorly done theme that he is scared to lose his family.

If anyone knows of ANY quotes that resemble George Clooney saying "I don't want to lose my family" that would be MUCH appreciated. I tried looking around and couldn't find much. There were some ok quotes from The Descendants, but I didn't find anything useable unless I missed something.

If anyone knows of ANY quotes that resemble George Clooney saying "I don't want to lose my family" that would be MUCH appreciated. I tried looking around and couldn't find much. There were some ok quotes from The Descendants, but I didn't find anything useable unless I missed something.
He got his start playing a doctor on the show E.R. for a long time. You might find something there, even if you have to replace the pronouns from "you" to "I" or something. There are probably episode transcriptions you can CTRL+F "family" search through. And iMDB has quotes, though that's not super thorough or accurate usually.

Something I noticed in your last clip: it felt like the freeze gun was oddly emphasized, with Batman disarming Freeze and Freeze commanding his henchmen to retrieve the gun, when the gun never gets used in the scene. I went back and watched the original and I see Freeze does use the gun before getting disarmed, but I see why you cut it - the terrible line “alright everyone, chill... chill... chill.” Is it possible to keep him using the gun but remove his dialogue? In particular the shots where he repeats the word “chill.” I bet you could loop the freeze gun noise over those shots and you wouldn’t notice his mouth move at all.

impressive. Would love to see this take through as I never would have thought of it in a million years.

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

Something I noticed in your last clip: it felt like the freeze gun was oddly emphasized, with Batman disarming Freeze and Freeze commanding his henchmen to retrieve the gun, when the gun never gets used in the scene. I went back and watched the original and I see Freeze does use the gun before getting disarmed, but I see why you cut it - the terrible line “alright everyone, chill... chill... chill.” Is it possible to keep him using the gun but remove his dialogue? In particular the shots where he repeats the word “chill.” I bet you could loop the freeze gun noise over those shots and you wouldn’t notice his mouth move at all.

Great suggestion! The reason I cut it (besides the obvious "chill") is because while Freeze is freezing innocent people, Batman and Robin are just.....standing there. I wanted it to feel like with Freeze crashing into the party it snapped B&R out of their trance and they spring into action before more harm can happen. Also, with the amount of time Mr. Freeze is freezing people, he could've froze B&R while they're just standing around watching. By removing the gun, I left in his fighting with the police there as a way to show that without his gun he is still a hulking presence.

Looking back on the footage just now, I see that I could reinsert those shots of him freezing people AFTER he gets his gun back. It doesn't look like he is standing in the tank there. BUT, I am trying to make him a little more sympathetic of a villain, so while I can add it back in easily, do you think it would detract from my goal of making him less "bad"? I guess you could argue that he shouldn't be freezing ANYONE when he arrives, but he is a pretty all over the place villain.

Thoughts?

If I were to reinsert him freezing people with the gun, do we think before he speaks with Ivy or afterwards? If it's afterwards, I would probably flip the shot horizontally so it looks like he is facing away from Ivy and looking at the direction of his tank.

That reasoning makes sense! I think I generally lean towards wanting villains to feel more "bad" or intimidating or formidable, but that might not make sense with this villain, who is supposed to be more sympathetic. Another point in favour of cutting Freeze using the gun here is that it will look like Batman has learned to disable his gun quickly after seeing him use it in the museum earlier.

You could always try inserting the shots after he speaks with Poison Ivy, maybe so it looks like he's trying to distract Batman or the police so he can escape easily. Worth trying, I think!

I never thought I would say this, but I am officially excited for something related to Batman & Robin!

And to add to the discussion, I didn't notice the slo-mo effect on the necklace at all, although it's been a long time since I last saw the movie (for obvious reasons).

Way overdue for an update!

The last few weeks have been extremely hard to get back to this edit. Between life, work and everything in between, I haven't touched this edit.....until today!

The time away actually gave me some fresh perspective as I had hit a wall about where to place some scenes since I moved around Freeze going to Arkham and some of the conflicts with Batman, Robin and Barbara. Between that and trying to figure out how to make Freeze's lair scenes work while cutting out Bane had caused me to hit a wall, but thankfully I surpassed that and am taking a little break for the day at the scene with Robin arriving at Ivy's lair. That puts us at just near the 58 minute mark with the edit clocking in at 83 minutes with credits.

I'm very excited at the progress because it is becoming what I hoped it would be; not super dark like Nolan or The Batman, not campy like the '66 series, but something more in between and closer to the feel of the animated series, just in live action form.

The Ivy fight is going to need A LOT of sound work and then onto the climax with Freeze which will also require A LOT of sound work. I don't have too far to go, but there's still a lot of things to fix. I couldn't give you a timeline of when this will be done, but I'm hoping by the end of the month.

A trailer will be coming in the near future!

Thanks for your patience!

Last edited:
Glad to see you back, MusicEd! I hope things continue to work out for you, because I really want to see this edit become a reality!

Back
Top Bottom