• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman: 1980s Edition

Jack Tourette

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Name: Batman: 1980s Edition
Original Name: Batman
Original Release Date: 1989
New Release Date: 2009
Original Running Time: 2 hours and 6 minutes
New Running Time: 1 hour and 42 minutes
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Format: NTSC DVD
Time Taken to Create Edit: 1 Week
Programs Used: PowerDirector Pro, MpTrimm, ConvertXtoDVD
Goal With the Edit: To make a family friendly, obnoxious, out-dated, 1980s version of the first Batman movie by adding more Pop Songs and upping the color to be big and bright. Many of the creepy or overly violent scenes have been removed including Jack Nicholson as the Joker taunting a burnt corpse. The Joker's killings are now limited to very few rather than many. What the Red Book Edition of Batman Forever and the De-Assified Edition of Batman & Robin did to those movies, 1980s Edition should do the opposite to Batman '89.

Added/Cut:

- Added the following songs:

"Like A Virgin" - Madonna
"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" - Tears for Fears
"Burning Down the House" - Talking Heads
"Bat Dance" - Prince
"All Along The Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix

- Added the VHS Diet Coke Commercial and Warner Bros. Catalog Commercial to the front of the movie.
- Now there is a "Kiddie Friendly" WB Family Logo
- Heightened the color, everything is now at it's brightest rather than being dark and gloomy.
- Cut Bruce sleeping upside down.
- Cut any sexual reference of Vicki and Bruce spending the night together.
- Grissom is no longer seen, but only mentioned here and there.
- Cut Opening Sequence of Batman introducing himself
- Cut the death notice of the Candy twins
- Cut the close up of dead Joker and his laughing bag.
- Many more cuts, too many to count.

DVD CoverArt:

http://rapidshare.com/files/223885281/poopert.rar

24324.jpg

is that the cover you are using? because it has a lot of info on there for things not on your DVD. like other languages, both fullscreen and widescreen versions...

ThrowgnCpr said:
is that the cover you are using? because it has a lot of info on there for things not on your DVD. like other languages, both fullscreen and widescreen versions...

Eh I used a custom cover my friend made me and tweaked it. -_- I need DVD Art skills and fast.

The fact that you added the "Bat Dance" makes me want to watch this.

This is a really cool idea for an edit. The addition of the new songs was great and works really well. Like a Virgin works great in that scene, but the volume is way too loud and it's hard to hear the dialogue in some spots. Technically, the editing was great. No hard cuts and I only really noticed a couple of places where an edit had been made. The transition of Bruce and Vale making out to Jack coming home was a pretty obvious one, for example.

I only had a couple of problems with it:

-The title - How can you make an 80s Edition of a movie that was released in the 80s? I get what you mean by the new title and what you're going for, but it just seems a little odd.

-The video quality. There's a LOT of macroblocking. It's not unwatchable, but the video quality certainly took a big hit somewhere in the creation process. It would be acceptable for an avi release, but for a DVD, I expected a lot better than this. I noticed you used Convertxtodvd. That's a great program because it does exactly what it's supposed to, but the video quality will always take a big hit when you use it. It's fine for personal use, but I wouldn't use it for fanedit releases. If you can find another way of creating the DVD while preserving the original quality, this would be greatly improved. 5.1 audio over the stereo would be a big improvement as well. The audio as it is now is fine, but you don't feel very immersed in the movie. Faking it with PLII helped a bit, but it's not the greatest.

Other than that, I thought this was a really original idea and if you could improve that audio/video issues, it would be really great.

Adabisi said:
This is a really cool idea for an edit. The addition of the new songs was great and works really well. Like a Virgin works great in that scene, but the volume is way too loud and it's hard to hear the dialogue in some spots. Technically, the editing was great. No hard cuts and I only really noticed a couple of places where an edit had been made. The transition of Bruce and Vale making out to Jack coming home was a pretty obvious one, for example.

I only had a couple of problems with it:

-The title - How can you make an 80s Edition of a movie that was released in the 80s? I get what you mean by the new title and what you're going for, but it just seems a little odd.

-The video quality. There's a LOT of macroblocking. It's not unwatchable, but the video quality certainly took a big hit somewhere in the creation process. It would be acceptable for an avi release, but for a DVD, I expected a lot better than this. I noticed you used Convertxtodvd. That's a great program because it does exactly what it's supposed to, but the video quality will always take a big hit when you use it. It's fine for personal use, but I wouldn't use it for fanedit releases. If you can find another way of creating the DVD while preserving the original quality, this would be greatly improved. 5.1 audio over the stereo would be a big improvement as well. The audio as it is now is fine, but you don't feel very immersed in the movie. Faking it with PLII helped a bit, but it's not the greatest.

Other than that, I thought this was a really original idea and if you could improve that audio/video issues, it would be really great.

I agree regarding the video quality, the bitrate was way too low and that's the fault of Convertxtodvd. The program doesn't give you the option of an output file size. I also agree that "Like a Virgin" drowned out the dialogue in that one scene, it became annoying pretty quick. Make no mistake though, I do like what you did with your edit, the brightened colors gave the film a different kind of feel.

"Like a Virgin" drowning out the dialogue was hilarious and it should be kept in my opinion

This will be my own personal opinion, in no way am I going to suggest that people shouldn't give this a watch. It's an interesting idea. However...

I just couldn't sit through this. Sorry. The color shift is just way too dramatic for my taste. Everything looks, for lack of a better word, yellow. Extremely yellow. I know this is what JT was going for, and I'm sure other people either enjoy this or are able to look past it and enjoy the actual editing. But for me, the color is a deal breaker. I just couldn't watch it for more than 10-15 minutes - it's too distracting.

The video quality is also an issue, as others have mentioned.

I did enjoy the commericals at the beginning of the movie. Nice trip back in time. However, it would have been better to make the commercials their own chapter, so that you aren't forced to watch them. If you skip to chapter 2, you miss four or five minutes of the movie.

I hate to bash other people's work, especially when it's not made for profit, and even more so given that I'm yet to prove my worth in the fanediting battlefield. But I thought this was awful. Sorry.

Other people have commented on the low video quality. True. It looks like either a) got "pixelated" because of extreme lightening color correction; b) fell victim of an export error; or c) used an .avi file as source material. Either way, that's not the main problem with this one.

The problem is, it comes across as pointless. The idea was fun, but I don't think you achieved your goals. You left in stuff that is no less "questionable" than what you cut out. You claim to reduce the violence and the number of Joker's killings, but most of them stay. You removed Joker talking to the burnt corpse, but not the burning itself. You deleted some mild sexual content, yet left the implied blowjob in the finale in. You call it family friendly, yet Joker's "son of a bitch" line remains. What you cut or left seems random.

While the pop songs are a nice addition to this version, you used too few of them and in too few moments, while Elfman's score still dominates throughout. You should have "eightified" it up way more. I mean, using the Batdance over the opening credits or things like that, and adding more songs. As it is now, one quickly forgets the whole intention.

Oh, two minor details: you didn't add "1980s Edition" to the title card (I thought it was one of the rules), and, given that Jack Palance is not in this version, you might have cut his credit, which is rather easy as it's followed by a fadeout.

On the other hand, most of the cuts were well made from a technical point of view. And I still find the concept intriguing enough to suggest you ever make a 2.0 try if you feel like it.

BTW, I'm strongly considering this very movie to be my first ever fanedit, althought with very different intentions than yours. You'll be able to return the negative feedback, then! :p

(Hoping no offense will be taken!)

DwightFry78 said:
Oh, two minor details: you didn't add "1980s Edition" to the title card (I thought it was one of the rules)
Just for the record; no such rule.

Uncanny Antman said:
DwightFry78 said:
Oh, two minor details: you didn't add "1980s Edition" to the title card (I thought it was one of the rules)
Just for the record; no such rule.
Thanks for the clarification! :)

Back
Top Bottom