• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Balboa by JetSetWilly

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
That's the thing I actually dread a lot, and a rep I don't want attached. They say it's not the tools that are at fault, but the person using them, and in this case, it's certainly true. I just feel like I'm letting the site down by releasing low quality final versions like this, and it's something I don't want to do. But, I'm rectifying it now.

Well if I can chime in with my two cents. I think you need to slow down! Its obvious you're an enthusiastic guy who has some cool fanedit ideas. But you seem to be in a rush. Not just with initially putting out your edits, but you also seem to be in a rush to fix mistakes that have been pointed out to you. Now its one thing to be in a rush to want to get them fixed, but rushing the actual "fixing" part is no good. So again, my advice would be to slow down, cause its not a race, take your time. Make sure everything is ok from start to finish (not crossing your fingers, closing your eyes and hoping for the best), and then releasing once you've looked over every frame and are CERTAIN that there are no problems.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I appreciate every bit of constructive criticism I receive. I think you're right. I do tend to rush things a bit, but in future, I'll slow down a tad.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since this edit has been deemed needing major technical errors fixed this is going back to In-The-Works.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watching it back on DVD, the video's fine. I did notice a split second of a scene that was cut flashing up that I didn't notice before, but that is being sorted.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey all. This edit is back on! Starting from scratch, I've re-ripped one and two from blu ray again, and it is progressing slowly. Transformers is being put on hold for the moment as I strive to work out a suitable way to cut the first twenty minutes so Lucas isn't it, so this is my main priority at the moment. So far, i've re-cut the first 40 minutes (roughly) down to just a tad over 30 minutes, so Rocky goes to see about sparring with Creed at 31 minutes now :) all the cuts are coming along nicely, and I'm gonna redo my covers once the film is done, and do a replacement trailer for the film, as looking at the original one I did, I'm not that happy with it at all, considering my talents back then were much more limited than what they are now.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome back Willy. It's interesting to read the history of this one and the problems you had with low quality. I'm having similar headaches with my renderings on otherwise technically sound edits that have prevented them from being approved.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Zarius :) Back then, I fell into the same trap that many newbies fall into: get it done, and get it out. I never took the time I felt I was supposed to to put out something I could be proud of, to look back on and say "yeah, I done that, I'm happy with that, and I'm proud of it!". But now, with 3 edits under my belt (one I might go back to to tweak it slightly, it being Mission to Mars), I feel like I've learnt a hell of a lot as time has gone on: timing, patience, idea, follow through and quality. If your edit is good, they'll be likely to see your next one. And Im gonna make Balboa the best one yet! And, at the end, there might be a hint as what I've got in mind next ;)

Mods: can this moved back to in the works, unless it's already been moved, please?

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
First edit: 4 years in the making, and still counting. You were saying something about newbie mistakes? :p

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
Mods: can this moved back to in the works, unless it's already been moved, please?

Done.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome back, amigo! How was your interplanetary journey?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
I got stuck at Uranus lol

tumblr_lm5d8ecrxe1qkcqgio1_400.gif

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All cut and wotnot. Just rendering now, after which it'll be going through handbrake, and then I'll give it full viewing on the Xbox. I think I may have shaved off a few more minutes, overall. I've also changed the final credits from scrolling to just static cards with a different font. Can't wait to see how it comes out this time :) New run time is about 146 minutes

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
I feel like I've learnt a hell of a lot as time has gone on: timing, patience, idea, follow through and quality. If your edit is good, they'll be likely to see your next one. And Im gonna make Balboa the best one yet!

sounds like you've been on a path of enlightenment. daz sho aweshum, bro.

buddha_sky_2_by_hanciong-d6cctvq.jpg

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haha indeed. Its why my edits are taking so long, now lol Cracking buddah picture, I must say.

On a related note, i now have a version which is about 7.16gb in size which I'm zipping then uploading. So, expect it soon for people who fancy a watch before submitting to info

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking forward to this JSW. Glad to have you back :)

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cheers, LS. If I'm honest, i did lose a bit of interest in editing, but then i just stared listening to the Rocky IV soundtrack and I thought that I really want to go back to sorting out Balboa. And I've refound my passion for editing again :D

Top Bottom