• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Back To The Future (The 2+3=1 Edit)

lossy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Pretty simple idea. I was inspired by similar fanedits that tried to compress the Matrix sequels into one film. Like The Matrix sequels, the two BTTF sequels were written and shot back-to-back and there are certain threads that run through both movies. I wanted to see how well it would work as one long movie, released in 1989. The cut I have made is 2 hrs and 48 minutes.

Here's a list of the major changes (most of them done for pacing/length reasons).

-Removed the moment when Marty first sees the Almanac through the window. Kind of a pointless little edit, but it makes the later Almanac reveal more of a surprise.
-Removed the hot tub scene with Biff watching For A Fistful of Dollars. Reason is that it's foreshadowing the gun fight scene in Part III which has been removed (more on that later). Also I never really liked how they reused the ending of that movie.
-Removed the scene where Doc meets his past self in 1955.
-Removed the entire sequence where Marty is climbing above the stage during the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance. A great set piece, but I wanted to speed things up.
-Removed the scene where Biff wakes up after being punched in 1955.
-Part 2 segues directly into Part 3. After 1955 Doc faints, we cut to him reading his own letter with the magnifying glass.
-Removed some dialogue during this sequence, as well as when Marty and Doc find the Delorean in the mines.
-Removed the scene where they go to the library to research Doc's death in 1885.
-Removed the moment when Marty hides from the Cowboys on horseback (he only encounters the Indians).
-Cut down the sequence at the McFly farm - it ends after Seamus offers Marty his hat.
-The most significant chunk taken out of the movie: the entire subplot between Marty and Mad Dog Tannen. Marty only encounters him once, in the saloon. Where he subsequently gets hanged and saved by Doc. Mad Dog is absent for the rest of the movie. No dance sequence with ZZ Top or Marty being given a gun. The focus during the Old West portion is now entirely on Doc and Clara. (Marty's character arc is still present in the film, concluding with the drag race with Needles.) In my original 3 hour+ cut, the movie stopped dead in its tracks once Marty reached the Old West. Taking this subplot out helped it move quicker.
-No fight scene between Doc and Clara. He never tries to tell her the truth, instead planning to leave without saying goodbye.

This is my first time submitting a fanedit. It was an interesting experiment and I hope others will enjoy it!

DJMax

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting idea, but I'm not sure how to feel about the Mad Dog Tannen removal. In the race against Needles he's already learned his lesson, but it's the scene with Tannen in the bar where he actually learns it. But I'm not sure how to work that in without adding a whole lot of movie back, which would kill the point of this edit.
Anyway, BTTF is my favorite trilogy ever, so looking forward to watching this

lossy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anyone know how long it usually takes for a fanedit submission to be reviewed? I submitted it on August 15th.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On an interesting note, I'm a crazed nut when it comes to the first movie, and according to the special features I watched, there wasn't any plan for a part III originally. However, when the script for Part II ended up being way too long, they divided it in half, which is how we ended up with the sequels. This is also why the two sequels were released just a year apart from 1989-1990. If for no other reason, this edit could be an interesting "what if?" kind of edit. To see what it might've been if length wasn't an issue.

theomega

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The BTTF trilogy are in my top 10 most favorite movies, so when I read the chances you made, I got very curious. Taking Biff Tannen out of the equation is a bold move and I don't really see how that's possible, so I'm really interested as to how that plays out. Fingers crossed it gets though the review process, I's really like to see this one.

lossy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On an interesting note, I'm a crazed nut when it comes to the first movie, and according to the special features I watched, there wasn't any plan for a part III originally. However, when the script for Part II ended up being way too long, they divided it in half, which is how we ended up with the sequels. This is also why the two sequels were released just a year apart from 1989-1990. If for no other reason, this edit could be an interesting "what if?" kind of edit. To see what it might've been if length wasn't an issue.
Yep, that was pretty much the impetus for me trying this.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Patience is a virtue. One of us will get to your edit as soon as we are able. Thanks for understanding. Seek feedback from the members who have commented while you wait. Good luck!

lossy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for all the help and feedback I've received. I didn't mean to sound impatient in my earlier post - I mistakenly thought the fanedit was already being reviewed hence the confusion.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't sweat the small stuff. It's good. We're all friends here. Just make the corrections that I pointed out and hopefully, @Wakeupkeo won't find anything else.

Top Bottom