• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Babylon 5

gmatias

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was about to post that, much as I would love that as well, he passed away a while back.

BUT.....

It turns out I was wrong and he is very much alive! So it would be great to have him back on board!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...oooo

MUSIC by Christopher Franke please!...seems the last music he did was in fact The Lost Tales 2007!

The times in B5 and the spinoffs without him felt just plain weird.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Proof in the pudding is that that the special edition of The Gathering Pilot was re-scored by Franke and finally felt like B5.
Plus, they crammed near on 15 minutes of extra material in and kept the run time the same by doing what we all do...LOL, TIGHTEN UP THE FLAB..

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just noticed Amazon Prime (in the UK at least) has added a new free-to-view (with commercials) TV/Movie streaming channel called "IMDb TV". Upon browsing the fairly b/c/d-movie heavy catalogue I very quickly noticed they've included all of B5 in it's new remaster, plus all the movies (in SD), Rangers and Lost Tales (no Crusade though). Woohoo!

An appropriate screenshot I took from season 1, episode 1:

51535675752_32fa772f85_o.jpg

I had one episode to go out 110 (78-hours invested) and Amazon Prime have just put remastered B5 back behind a paywall! and final episode 'Sleeping in Light' is one of my favourite things ever. Arrrgghhh!

babylon5-mira-furlan.gif

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Certainly frustrating when that happens.

You didn't buy during the itunes remaster sale?!?!

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm saving my money for the blu-ray release that will probably never happen.
it WILL happen, eventually...coz there is money in it....just when not if. WHEN will be when the Pay Per View drops or after Season one of the reboot series....but it will come ...I'm certain.

I actually ripped all my PAL dvd's, which have a better transfer than the NTSC versions, then de-interlaced them, and upscaled to 50 fps...Looks much better.... Got the idea from Subjectzero's amazing work...which is outstanding.

Here are two great articles on the issues of the original DVD transfers I used as reference for my personal remaster, burnt to blu rays for posterity.

And here is Sleeping in Light

All 22 movies are superb!!!!!!!!

If anyone wants a booklet on all the changes, I compiled one and am happy to share...just PM me.
You print, fold...VOILA!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it WILL happen, eventually...coz there is money in it....just when not if. WHEN will be when the Pay Per View drops or after Season one of the reboot series....but it will come ...I'm certain.
I doubt it. Even Straczynski is doubtful it will happen. They no longer have the assets for the CGI (which were rendered in 480i) so would have to redo it from scratch. Paramount spent a bundle redoing the CG for Star Trek TOS and it didn't sell as well as they'd hoped, so the plans for later series was canceled, and ST has a much bigger fanbase than B5.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can watch the last episode a number of ways. It was just irritating with the timing. I've already got the complete series on:

- Physical retail PAL 4:3 VHS tapes
- Personally made digital transfers of those VHS tapes
- NTSC 16:9 DVD
- PAL 16:9 DVD
- Vudu un-remastered 4:3 digital files

+ Crusade on PAL 16:9 DVD and NTSC 4:3 DVD
+ The 5 movies on NTSC 16:9 DVD (twice)
+ The 5 movies on physical retail 4:3 PAL VHS tapes
+ Personally made digital transfers of those VHS tapes
+ 4 of the movies on PAL 16:9 DVD
+ The Gathering original-cut 4:3 PAL DVD
+ PAL Legend of the Rangers DVD

So I think that's at least 5 copies of Sleeping in Light :LOL:

(Weirdly I've never owned Lost Tales though)

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sure ...I'm aware....but even if they resolved the awful mastering... there are some great upscale tests out there and fans have been creating HD assets for the B5 Encylopedia online which could be used. It is also about future proofing for streaming...never mind blu ray...if they do not clean it up properly (albeit without new effects)...they will consign this to the wastepaper basket...and that would be tragic...

Check this out...The shot of Babylon 5 itself at the beginning is breathtaking...

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Futureproofing isn't an issue. There are plenty of shows, including Star Trek DS9 and Voyager that people stream in SD because that's the only option. They also just restored the series and made a 4K scan of the filmed portions. It's downscale to HD, but it looks pretty good in HD and well lets be honest the cgi has always looked bad in this show no matter what resolution or pixel density. Too much color in space for me.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Futureproofing isn't an issue. There are plenty of shows, including Star Trek DS9 and Voyager that people stream in SD because that's the only option. They also just restored the series and made a 4K scan of the filmed portions. It's downscale to HD, but it looks pretty good in HD and well lets be honest the cgi has always looked bad in this show no matter what resolution or pixel density. Too much color in space for me.
I feel a "Babylon 5: Desaturated" coming on....

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did actually start watching the series again to see if I could take out all of that excessive color that isn't visible on space.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wraith, you realize Babylon 5 isn't real right? 👀 :p

Unless everyone has special modifications to their eyes in the future, I don't see how there is so much color in space. The only movie I give a pass on for this is Star Trek II.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another HD render on the Tom Smith youtube channel:

and a gif I made:

ezgif-5-da3f60bfc8.gif

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For anyone who missed the deal last time, Babylon 5 The Complete Series Remastered is on sale on itunes for $39.99 right now.

Top Bottom