• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Babylon 5

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went into the garage to find some old cult magazines...I was looking everywhere for that one summer '98 SFX cover of Claudia Christian in a jumpsuit...no luck. :(

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
I went into the garage to find some old cult magazines...I was looking everywhere for that one summer '98 SFX cover of Claudia Christian in a jumpsuit...no luck. :(

I don't know about the 1998 magazine, but I see Claudia Christian sells signed copies of the 1999 Playboy issue on her website. Pretty cool actually, that she does that.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
Zarius said:

I don't know about the 1998 magazine, but I see Claudia Christian sells signed copies of the 1999 Playboy issue on her website. Pretty cool actually, that she does that.

Come to think of it, maybe it was that 1999 edition that the SFX cover was spoofing, I could be getting the years mixed up. 

SFX has this ongoing (deliberate?) habit of covering up the edge of the F to make it spell out SEX :p

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's great to see how much love you guys have for B5

It is undoubtedly my favourite sci fi show and it's in my top 5 shows of all time. Even it's two worst episodes (TKO and Grey 17 is missing) add to the narrative. 

I bloody love it's scope. My only gripe is that when Vir waves farewell to Mr Morden they include a flashback. I didn't feel it was necessary at all for those who had watched the arc unfold and it felt cheesy. If I ever do an edit of the show I'd remove that.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some really cool fan art:

omega_by_grahamtg_dczqukm-fullview.jpg

https://www.deviantart.com/grahamtg/art/Omega-785633350

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a thoughtful response to the question.  The only statement that I take issue with is: "Modern audiences can't help but judge things by modern standards: if they can't get immersed..." bla bla bla.  Becoming immersed in things (suspending disbelief) is something that one has to learn, and initially requires conscious effort.  It's just that years ago we had no choice, and so came to learn it sooner.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another B5 edit joins the FE roster:
River of Souls 5.21B
:)

Trimmed the corny jokes and lawyer jabs, to make it feel less 1990s summer movie and more Babylon 5 double length adventure. Also improved the pacing and replaced the funky end music.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some great 1080p battle footage:

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Some great 1080p battle footage:

I spliced that footage into the episode (s2e22). I rendered the whole thing in PAL (576p), because in HD the difference was too jarring with the non-HD material. It looks noticeably, and enjoyably(!), better. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some more 1080p CGI featuring the massive explorer class ship. It's great how much "weight" they got into these shots:

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Some more 1080p CGI featuring the massive explorer class ship.

Yay! Now *that* is a beautiful ship coming out of a strikingly crisp jumpgate. I love it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
81i8gwEIdSL._SX300_.jpg

Apparently there is a new 4:3 "remastered" version of the show that has appeared on Amazon and iTunes with little fanfare  It's still standard definition but it's no longer cropped to 16:9 (I've not confirmed it for myself yet):

The whole thing is about £50 on UK Amazon digital and the old DVD set is currently on sale, so I might wait a while and see what happens because I'd much prefer to buy a new physical copy if one gets released.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel like I'm the kid in the room that isn't picking up on something obvious here trying to decode what is different. It looks like it's slightly zoomed in and there is a higher contrast with a sight temperature change. Most tv's can achieve this with built in settings. When Babylon 5 was free on amazon prime last year I didn't notice it being cropped 16:9. It looked pretty similar to my dvd set.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I feel like I'm the kid in the room that isn't picking up on something obvious here trying to decode what is different. It looks like it's slightly zoomed in and there is a higher contrast with a sight temperature change. Most tv's can achieve this with built in settings. When Babylon 5 was free on amazon prime last year I didn't notice it being cropped 16:9. It looked pretty similar to my dvd set.

The old transfers previously doing the rounds on Amazon/iTunes etc were the same as the botched 16:9 DVDs, this transfer is 4:3 and likely taken from the original broadcast master, the way B5 is meant to be seen and was originally seen on TV, VHS and Laserdicc, without all the FX footage cropped down to 16:9.  The slight differences in colour timing are likely down to it being from a different source rather than any deliberate choice I suspect, although happily they do look marginally better (less of that pink hue that the DVDs tended toward). Vudu in the US already had these 4:3 masters for a few years but this is the first time they've been available to buy on other more popular platforms and in other parts of the world.

I'm just unclear as to what the above video is comparing them with? Its not against the DVDs.

EDIT: I made a diagram which explains it better than my waffle :D :

50657281663_d40b18698f_b.jpg

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Apparently there is a new 4:3 "remastered" version of the show

JMS mentioned this in his feed. From the only clip I see online, I'm not yet convinced. The varying difference reminds me of the 16:9 DVD versus the (not remastered) 4:3 online VOD. That has no clear winner for me.

I am happy that someone at WB signed off on this. Combined with the true HD renders that Tom Smith has been putting on YouTube, I hope this opens the door to a proper remaster!

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
B5 will be available on HBO Max starting 26 January.

According to the Comicon website:
Presumably, Max will use the same remastered files available on AppleTV, which are said to be the best looking copies available.

Top Bottom