• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Babylon 5

bionicbob said:
How Koenig joined B5....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2GVL3TdMXs[/video]

OH MY GOD!!! He was wearing a wig the whole time?!?

bionicbob said:
How Koenig joined B5....

It's great to hear him talk about B5.  I spoke to him about his role in the series at a convention some years ago.  It was one of those conventions at which you had to pay a certain amount of money just to say hello, a certain amount for a photograph, more for a signed one, more for a message of a certain length – that sort of system.  (I forget the precise details.) One of the convention staff hovered over his shoulder and said that he could do only X and Y because of how much we had paid.  Koenig turned round and said that he could write as much as he liked on his own photographs for his own fans and was happy to talk for a while, which he duly did.  I've never forgotten it.   A very nice guy!

Found this Reddit post about the original TNT plans for Season Five and Crusade...

The poster does not provide his source for his information, though much of it I have read before in bits and pieces over the years.

I do find the story about JMS accidently tossing his planned season 5 arc notes in the hotel trash and then not being able to remember what he had outlined afterwards a bit difficult to accept...?

If Season Five had followed the plan as described, I think it would have been much more enjoyable and Crusade would have gotten off to a stronger start.

^ Some of that sounds very believable and some very hard to believe, as you say. I do wish Ivanova had been in S5 instead of Lochley.

I just rewatched S03E04 'Passing Through Gethsemane' for the umpteenth time. It's gotta be up there in the top-5 B5 episodes. Guest star Brad Dourif is so powerful as a monk who has his Christian faith tested. I never noticed before that the Director in the credits is Adam Nimoy, son of Leonard and Director of the brilliant 'For the Love of Spock' Documentary. Nimoy did a great job.

Another HD render popped up and this time it's got a cheeky appearance from another Sci-Fi franchise:

TM2YC said:
Another HD render popped up and this time it's got a cheeky appearance from another Sci-Fi franchise:

I saw that. Love it! Now for the Liberator to show up in the B5 universe.  :)

Somewhere around S3E5 and S3E8, Babylon 5 really becomes one of those "dammit, just one more episode before I really need to get some sleep" type shows :D .

LOL at this moment from Ep5 when the beautiful but sinister new "political officer" tries to seduce the Captain...

helloluscious.JPG

getaroom.JPG

7b018868c83f2faa3be3dac096287109.gif

S3E10 'Severed Dreams' is where it gets epic. The EarthForce civil-war space battle that kicks off involving the station, 4 Earth destroyers, 2 heavy cruisers and a fleet of Starfurys and Thunderbolt fighters still looks incredible. It's on the level of the ROTJ battle of Endor but in an episode of '96 TV show. The moment when Delenn rides into the rescue with several Minbari warcruisers and threatens the enemy Captains is classic :) :

xpO1Z19.gif

Not to mention it has Sheridan declaring B5's independence from the Earth regime and Delenn breaking the Grey Council.

I found a clip from the battle that somebody tried to upscale recently. It looks pretty damn good (although cropped to widescreen and compressed for youtube):

The only flaw in the episode is that they obviously failed to get the actor who played General Hague to come back, so he dies off screen before the episode begins... which kinda added an extra layer of impending doom, so maybe it was a good thing.

TM2YC said:
The only flaw in the episode is that they obviously failed to get the actor who played General Hague to come back, so he dies off screen before the episode begins... which kinda added an extra layer of impending doom, so maybe it was a good thing.

General Hague died off-screen because the actor, Robert Foxworth, was busy playing an Admiral in a Deep Space 9 two-parter instead!

lapis molari said:
General Hague died off-screen because the actor, Robert Foxworth, was busy playing an Admiral in a Deep Space 9 two-parter instead!

CommonImportantCowrie-poster.jpg

:D

Nice nugget of info, thanks.

Severed Dreams is my all time favourite episode. Even when I have to remove as much of B5 from the SKY Planner as I can to save space, I always keep that on.

I remember seeing it for the first time in the spring of 2000 on BRAVO. A golden time that was, on my final stretch of study leave in my final year of school...I'd go from studying for around two hours, 9 to 10, and the rest would be spent sun bathing, watching B5, then Fox Kids and Cartoon Network. I'd also "sneek" on to the internet and rack up an enormous phone bill.

Came across good B5 reviews. Covering every episode:
AV/TV Club review of B5

Reading the s5 entries, I'm disliking Byron all over again. Boy, was he insufferable! I wanted to sympathize with the telepaths' cause, but JMS made him so unlikable that I never felt any empathy for Byron or his cause.

Someone named IOV made great B5 posters for lots of episodes.

I tweaked one and copied @"GelflingHand" 's layout of his Thirdspace cover to make a s5e22 poster:

B5%20s5e22%20Sleeping%20in%20Light%20(commentary,%202ext).jpg

Sun's coming up... :(

..And so is this designer... :)

I just watched the 1998 TNT Guide to Babylon 5. It's fun!
Over on OT, B5 fan Speakhard has a VHS recording of it.

I replaced the Anna Sheridan vid in s2e02 Revelations with the (much shorter) Melissa Gilbert as Anna clip from s3e22 Z'ha'dum. It's B&W with an imperfect transition, but it makes the character consistent.

pw: fanedit.org

What do you think: improvement or not? I realize it would look hugely better if the Gilbert video was inserted into the TV screen of the Revelations episode, but I don't know how to do that.

^ Doesn't the original actor deliver a big long speech on the vid, to her sister or something? That can't be replaced surely?

Just re-watched 'War Without End' P1 & P2 for the like the tenth time. It still gives me goosebumps like it did when it was new. To spend 3 seasons and a pilot movie building to that story point and resolution was something unique that may not be repeated in TV. IIRC unlike other Sci-Fi shows, B5 only used time-travel once but boy did it make it count. The CGI set extensions on Minbar look so good in full 4:3. I can't understand why they looked bad on the later Rangers TV movie.

From 4-weeks ago, Ivanova B5 Encyclopedia unboxing. Adorable.

TM2YC said:
^ Doesn't the original actor deliver a big long speech on the vid, to her sister or something? That can't be replaced surely?

True, the original actor left a long message for Sheridan's sister. The content of the shorter message isn't as strong. And loses Sheridan's response. :s
But: Sheridan's sister does say this is part of the message, so it's not truncate versus complete. It's degrees of truncated.

The other option is to tweak the original voice to sound closer to Gilbert's. Then dub Gilbert with the original actor. I could work on the voice, but that would only make sense if someone else can insert B&W Gilbert into the original TV screen. It would mean some looping of the video to get the required length.

If only someone did a proper remaster of B5 (like Tom Smith's YouTube videos), then I'd be even more motivated to put time into this.

Keeping the dream alive: Bezos announced that he's interested in space colonies that use the O'Neill cylinder.
Babylon 5 keeps being relevant! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom