• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Babylon 5

Likely one of the greatest tv series made IF… you can survive season 1.

Without spoiling it, it was the series that created the 5 year arc and concept of telling a single story… over a long run. The issue is that the networks would not buy that concept so JMS (writer creator) had to fool the execs into believing it was episodic. So season 1, which does have some stand out episodes, does okay overall weakly compared to the express train if quality which kicks off in season 2. However, every episode has a relevance to what is to unfold… so it must be watched. It is possible to skip about 8 of those eps, but not advisable.

You just have to trust that intelligent people who keep telling Utah rest are not idiots or part of a B5 cult…

It paved the way for the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, Lost ( bad end), FRINGE (similar season 1 disguised issues)… and many more.

Once you finally are aware if what is ACTUALLY going on, and what the stakes are, it becomes and a seaside binge fest.

My son and I about 15 years ago watched it ALL again, in just 7 days…

Tip
Do NOT watch the B5 movie In The Beginning until half way thru season 4…. That would be catastrophic…

Anyone who says otherwise to you, dislikes you….

Others ….
Do you concur?
Like if you do…

Dig MUST experience this.

The B5 Project does eliminate some of the issues BUT, at the cost of natural flow and character development..

Sermon endeth!
Wraith, did you read past the "No"? I haven't seen the Blu Ray set. I own the series on digital and DVD as well as watched it when it originally aired in TV. I love the Sheridan story. Lost interest after he "disappeared" during the Shadow wars. Best non Star Trek sci-fi of the 90s for sure.

… I did read… but “no” to me ( am on a spectrum) meant you had not watched it at all… I own shit I’ve not watched …

Sure, it gets a bit draggy after he goes awol… but one has to stay the course….

I’m prone to literal interpretation….
It gets me into trouble… but you know that already…
;)

It's funny that I came across this discussion, seeing as how I started watching Babylon 5 yesterday on Tubi. It's pretty good. I'm halfway through season one.

It's funny that I came across this discussion, seeing as how I started watching Babylon 5 yesterday on Tubi. It's pretty good. I'm halfway through season one.
You have no idea….
I envy you…

Envy? Why, for watching it for the first time?
Yup… coz you don’t know…
And the reveals and journey has not even begun…

I wish I could watch it cold again…

A similar but separate issue: on
  • Amazon,
  • Google Play &
  • Microsoft Store
  • (confirmed not an issue on HBO Max, iTunes & Vudu)
Season Three, Episode 3 “A Day in the Strife” runs to around 47 minutes (instead of the normal 44) because at the end it has added about 3:50 of “textless elements” (i.e. all the shots in the episode which have text graphics e.g. credits, but presented without the text, so foreign broadcasters can insert translations later).

@Wraith , 3'50" of "textless elements" sounds wonderful for us faneditors! An odd mistake from WB, but a treat for anyone wanting to edit s3.

No. I own the digital that has some of the visual issues people are citing. I'm reading the posts about the rest. Yeah, it seems to be lacking some extras, but it seems to deliver picture wise.
Yeah, it's not a perfect set. But it blows the old DVDs clear out of the water. The CG scenes may be straight upscales but they look way better than the weird NTSC-to-PAL-to-NTSC botchjob on the DVDs.

The normal live action scenes were rescaned from the original negative and cleaned up debris/dirt as well as having color correction for a lot of scenes.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not a perfect set. But it blows the old DVDs clear out of the water. The CG scenes may be straight upscales but they look way better than the weird NTSC-to-PAL-to-NTSC botchjob on the DVDs.

The normal live action scenes were rescaned from the original negative and cleaned up debris/dirt as well as having color correction for a lot of scenes.
True...I have till Jan 4th to evaluate...

I'm keeping my blu-ray set, if only to make the HD upgrade of my Season 5 Phoenix Rising Arc.
It won't be widescreen, but I will enjoy seeing these old friends in clean, clear picture quality.

B5 s5 Phoenix Rising Arc.jpg

I'm keeping my blu-ray set, if only to make the HD upgrade of my Season 5 Phoenix Rising Arc.
It won't be widescreen, but I will enjoy seeing these old friends in clean, clear picture quality.
...hmmmm tempting indeed...
Did you ever read the 3 trologies of books...especially the Cenatuari Prime ones?

The Telepath War was a casuallty of the season 5 renewal debacle unfortunately...

I got the Blu Ray for Christmas --best Bride EVER!

Spent a few hours watching random, favourite episodes from various seasons and I am thoroughly impressed in terms of picture quality.
The difference from the old DVDs is Night and Day.
The live action stuff looks glorious and even the upscaled CGI looks impressive! The colours really pop -- WOW!
For me, this is the Best the series has ever looked.

Yes, it is a bare bones release with frustratingly cheap packaging, but what else would one expect at this price point? It works out to be about a Dollar (Canadian) per episode! WB never promised a complete upgrade from the original release. It is as advertised, there is no Bait & Switch here.

As for the Title Stings, I actually found myself really liking them. It hit a nostalgia button for me LOL. It felt like I was watching it on Cable TV again.

So for me, for the price, I am very happy with this blu ray release.

Man, my Bride does the same thing for me, don't you just love being spoiled?!

Can't wait to get this set! I don't imagine I would be bothered with the Title Stings, but who knows, if I do, there's a new idea for 4K upscale project on horizon...

Envy? Why, for watching it for the first time?
I gotta ask....where are you up to?

PS

DO NOT WATCH...the movie "In The Beginning" until midway thru season 4.

You will need to purchase this seperately...we can tell you precisely between which episodes to view this.

Just looked. I'll have to rent it, but that's okay. I just saw an animated that came out this year. Should I watch that after everything else?

Back
Top Bottom