• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Babylon 5 Project II: Signs and Portents

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've completed the second film in my Babylon 5 tv-to-film series! This time it's based on three episodes: Signs and Portents and the A Voice in the Wilderness two-parter.

I've also edited in the G'Quan Eth plant subplot from Any Means Necessary because I think it's really important to highlight G'Kar's religious beliefs. I've also placed Catherine Sakai's trip to Sigma 957 in here as well but cut out anything about her relationship to Sinclair. She's pretty much just a one of guest star in here.

Where Babylon 5 Project I: Dawn of the Third Age was all about setting up the universe and Sinclair, this film is all about laying the groundwork for everything that comes later on in the series. It clocks in around 133 minutes, I think... I need to double check that.

I've also completed the cover for the DVD which you can check out below. It's a bit more refined now then the DVD cover for the first film so I've gone and updated the first based on this new design. All the DVDs will follow this style.

OAEtAdP.png

Currently working on Babylon 5 Project III: Moments of Revelation. That one is a very interesting edit because it covers the season 1 finale and the season 2 premiere so I tried to make the transition of Sinclair to Sheridan a bit more seamless than it was in the series.

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you've followed the thread for Babylon 5 Project I, then you know I've had to go back and re-edit all of the videos for this series of films. Quick recap: working with much better footage and needed to change the project frame rate which Davinci Resolve doesn't allow you to do.

There was a bit of a learning curve for the first film so this one is going a lot smoother. From here on out, I only completed rough cuts for the rest of the series of films so they may take a bit more time-- but at least the big decisions of what to cut have already been made.

After this film, viewers can jump off and watch Mindwar and Chrysalis for any real missing plotlines. Considering Talia's story comes to nothing, I skipped anything to do with her that I could get away with-- including her relationship with Ivanova.

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished a viewable version of Babylon 5 Project II: Signs and Portents! Currently being exported and should be available tonight or tomorrow.

I got a lot of great feedback from the first film so if you want to watch this film and help me out, just send me a PM!

Not much has been changed but I was able to cut out two more minutes bringing the runtime down to 131 minutes. So this film still covers Signs and Portents as well as both parts of A Voice in the Wilderness. We also get the G'Quan Eth subplot and Catherine Sakai's sojourn to Sigma 957.

With these 2 films, you can basically cover 90% of season 1 in about four hours for those that just want to rush through and get to season 2. As these series of films go on, I play around less with the storylines as I've found most of my creative fixes are about jettisoning or minimizing dangling story threads along with the standalone stories.

On to Babylon 5 Project III! I hope my edit for the first film gets approved soon. I've exhausted my allotted two threads!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you on this....

This was a much tighter edit pertaining to story structure, touching on some big event episodes and not much in the way of filler, this is definitely the way to go. I was briefly taken out of my immersion by a fade to black after Morden assures Londo that he and his associates would find him, but I think you can clear that up in other drafts.

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for your critique and kind words!

I actually went back in and not only removed that fade-to-black, but as many of those commercial break fade-to-blacks as I could. Not only in this edit, but Babylon 5 Project I and III. With the critiques I'm getting, I think they've improved the third film as well!

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just keeping everybody updated!

Making some minor tweaks to this edit. There will be some minor reshuffling of scenes and some of the transitions are being smoothed out.

Relinking all of the footage (after losing a harddrive with all of the video) is wreaking a bit of havoc that I'm not catching on the timeline in my NLE. Most of it has to do with changing the speed on some footage that doesn't import correctly. But it is making me pay extra attention to the edit so I think it will just improve the cuts and flow of the story in the long run.

subjectzero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Quick update: just submitted this!

Sorry for the delay but I finished writing a novel and was doing all kinds of marketing stuff for it, so my hobbies took a bit of a back seat. Already pulling Babylon 5 Project III together which will finish season I off and bring Captain Sheridan in. It will be an interesting edit because I wanted something that eased Sheridan into the role.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
subjectzero said:
Quick update: just submitted this!

Sorry for the delay but I finished writing a novel and was doing all kinds of marketing stuff for it, so my hobbies took a bit of a back seat. Already pulling Babylon 5 Project III together which will finish season I off and bring Captain Sheridan in. It will be an interesting edit because I wanted something that eased Sheridan into the role.

Congratulations on finishing your book :cool:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is now on ifdb. Thread moved.

Top Bottom