• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Awesome Online Videos (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well this is a fun find. Fans of Captain America and Buck Rogers unite!
(You have to click the link to view this in Youtube.)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^That IS fun! But missed opportunity to cast Falcon as Hawk!

I think it was @TM2YC who posted this WWII Army video awhile back... well I finally got around to watching it, and as an American it's pretty funny. Burgess Meredith is great in this, really charming, and it's fun to see him before he was old and crusty in Rocky, where I first met him. There's an old skool comedy bit with Bob Hope. Mostly though, it's just telling a bunch of Americans that never travel, "Hey, everybody doesn't do it like you. When you go into somebody's house, maybe respect their rules, eh?" Sadly, most Americans still haven't gotten the message.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A couple of cool youtube channels doing practical FX tutorial type stuff:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A game, by definition, is not art. However, a game can contain art, such as a singing competition (game) containing a sung performance (art). Likewise, a video game is not a work of art, but it can contain art in the form of cut scenes. And, though I've never played any Uncharted or The Last of Us games, it's evident even from these clips that Uncharted 4's cut scenes are short films featuring legitimately impressive CG animation-overlaid mo-capped performances:

Uncharted 4 itself is not art, but it certainly looks as though it contains art.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I'd take issue with your definition that games can't be art. If the issue is interactivity, then take performance art. Or a play...is it not art to the people contributing to it? Can it only be art when viewed from outside the creation? What about mystery novels? There is a certain interplay between the author and the readers that the author anticipates when writing. A good mystery novel is a dialogue, not a narrative. I don't think "art" precludes participation.

But regardless, I think we're both on the side of appreciating the craft involved in some games. I would submit several other games as deserving similar consideration and appreciation (though, like art, subjective preferences in style will affect your appreciation):
For old skool Disney fans:

nature-lovers:

if you've ever wanted to be inside a Japanese watercolor painting:

or be in a noir serial-killer film where your choices affect the outcome:

or dance with a surrealistic landscape that dances back with you:

see WWI as Van Gogh would've:

or go exploring with Norman Reedus through a post-apocalyptic future landscape:

There should be something there for everybody, whether you call it art or just artistic. People are truly creating some amazing work that should be preserved along with other creative works.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I'd take issue with your definition that games can't be art.
I think the issue is semantic (though it's not my argument I think I see where you both are coming from). Games and art are distinct concepts. That doesn't mean something can't be both, it just means they're not identical ideas. They do borrow principles from each other and can work together.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I'd take issue with your definition that games can't be art. If the issue is interactivity, then take performance art. Or a play...is it not art to the people contributing to it? Can it only be art when viewed from outside the creation? What about mystery novels? There is a certain interplay between the author and the readers that the author anticipates when writing. A good mystery novel is a dialogue, not a narrative. I don't think "art" precludes participation.

See, I kinda think it does. A novel is a work of art, but a Choose Your Own Adventure book, or a book full of crossword puzzles, is a game. A one-man play is art, but a person giving a walking tour of a museum or neighborhood is a lecture. The national anthem performance at a baseball game is art, but the whole day's program, including the anthem, the game, and the kiss cam interlude between innings, is an event, and primarily a game event.

Ergo, a video game can contain art in the form of cutscenes, music, heck, even the game environments could be considered art, from an architectural perspective - but, as long as you're playing a character, who you can make dawdle, self-harm, or harm friends/loved ones characters for no reason other than you're holding the controller and that's what you feel like doing - that's not art, that's a game. And I mean that with no disrespect to games or those that create them. :)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agree to disagree. I'm into art as a participatory experience. Maybe that comes from time spent acting. What you do changes depending on what others do, and that includes what you get from an audience. But whatevs, like I said before, we're both appreciating the end result so it's all good.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Hey, don't play that card on me, I've acted too! :p But yes, agree to disagree, no hard feelings. :)

... Aw, sweet: someone rebuilt the old Paramount VHS "Holding Out for a Hero" supertrailer in HD! Despite the artistic crime of mixing Apocalypse Now with Congo and Top Gun, that is:

.... Now, who will rebuild my take in HD? :D

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love this style of Japanese comedy, which is a whole thing. This one is evergreen.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ran across this gem. Young Diane Lane...just as hot at 19 as 40. Young Michael Pare'...just as much a meathead at 26 as 50. Young-ish Walter Hill... well, he changed a bit. Very cool to see everyone in contemporary footage though.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I knew a lot of these, but not being British, I was unaware just HOW influential The Avengers (TV show) was on '60s and '70s comic books. It all makes sense of course, looking back.
Still hoping they do Wolverine as a proper antagonist. I mean, Hugh Jackman eventually won me over, but from the very start I was like "Oh no...what are they doing to Wolverine!? He's totally different!" The films pick up from the modern version of Wolverine: a team player, leader, and mentor. The guy who's supposed to be hard-as-nails but nearly always has a kid sidekick nearby.
I'd love to see the MCU do this original Wolverine: honestly an @$$**** most of the time, the kind of guy who's that Libertarian you can't stand getting in philosophical arguments with. Short, squat, heavy, dirty, smelly, rude, aggressive, nearly psychopathic... a tremendously dislikable character that everyone keeps around purely because he's saved their asses and been there when they needed him. He's that friend always getting the other guys into fights they don't want to be in, the one they all make excuses for and hang out with out of obligation and history. He'd bail you out of jail, but you wouldn't trust him alone with your stuff, or your girlfriend.
Basically totally the opposite of the characters Marvel wants to put in their movies now.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't remember how/where, but somehow I saw Following (1998) first and that's why I went to see Memento (1999) in the theater opening night. I think all the people that came to Nolan later and liked films like Inception have now gone back and appreciate Memento. But it's nice to see Following getting its due. I didn't realize it was such a beg-borrow-steal production...it came off incredibly professional to me at the time. Still a strong entry in Nolan's filmography.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The best doc I've yet seen on Brandon Lee, and it packs it in to a short time. Really a great watch.

The only quibble I have is the ending, where it just throws the quote up out of context.... Brandon quoted this in his last interview, given on the set of The Crow. It's stunningly poetic and tragic, made even more so by his thoughtful delivery, so I'll link that here:

Top Bottom