• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Avidemux Question

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I converted an m2ts file (from a Blu-ray I copied to my hard drive) to mp4 with Avidemux and used “copy” to video output so it would be lossless. However the size of the video is lower; the original is 32.6 GBs while the new MP4 is 25.4 GBs. Is this normal?

The bitrate is more or less the same I think so I suppose that was lossless and this was just an effect of copying it to the H264 format, but I just want to be sure.

What were your audio settings?
Oh AAC (lav), 640 kbps… I couldn’t “copy” it so had to do that, I know that’s definitely not lossless (and I intend to use a different audio source). But would that make such a size difference?

EDIT: On second thought the original Blu audio is DTS so that probably would be a larger file, right?

It might make a gig or two size difference. Did you rip multiple tracks in the m2ts file? If you did and only retained one converted lav file you could expect a difference similar to what you have here.

It might make a gig or two size difference. Did you rip multiple tracks in the m2ts file? If you did and only retained one converted lav file you could expect a difference similar to what you have here.
No, only the original English one

That is interesting. What was the bitrate of the source audio?

Checking the original m2ts it says the bitrate is around 27 mbps while the copied one is 21 mbps

That is interesting. What was the bitrate of the source audio?
I can’t see it but I’m assuming around 1500 or something, from what I remember DTS audio is like that but I’m not certain

Again I don’t know why the video bitrate is lower even though I “copied” it^

It should tell you in avidemux when you use the menu > select audio track > it displays the bitrate here.

I wonder I'd the mp4 container might have something to do with it?

It should tell you in avidemux when you use the menu > select audio track > it displays the bitrate here.

I wonder I'd the mp4 container might have something to do with it?

Possibly. Why is the total bitrate lower though? If it's not an exact copy it's not a problem for me I can just use a lower quality proxy then relink with the original m2ts in Premiere. I'm just curious why this didn't end up an exact copy.

The bitrate difference is odd for sure.

I personally do the following when ripping the source.
MakeMKV copy > Avidemux (copy video, aac lav, mp4 container)

I usually get an mp4 that is nearly the same size (usually a bit smaller due to the aac but rate restrictions).

I personally do the following when ripping the source.
MakeMKV copy > Avidemux (copy video, aac lav, mp4 container)

I usually get an mp4 that is nearly the same size (usually a bit smaller due to the aac but rate restrictions).
That's what's odd. I copied with DVDFab but then did exactly what you did.

Can you post the mediainfo for the source and the mp4 file?

Did you select the optimize for streaming?

They're in Turkish but you can see "veri hızı" or "bit hızı" is bitrate and "toplam bit hızı" is total bitrate

Source:

YOxnSAP.png

Copy:

KAHG3qp.png

Did you select the optimize for streaming?
No, I don't know what that is tbh

Do you have the program mediainfo? It has a breakdown of the file that is more indepth than the windows properties page.

I've had file size fluctuate a gb or 2 when simply switching containers before. Maybe that combined with the gb or 2 of switching to ac3 for the audio would do it? It's still the same bit rate and appears to be the same stream still so as long as the file doesn't have any errors i would think you are fine

I've had file size fluctuate a gb or 2 when simply switching containers before. Maybe that combined with the gb or 2 of switching to ac3 for the audio would do it? It's still the same bit rate and appears to be the same stream still so as long as the file doesn't have any errors i would think you are fine
I think the issue here is that there was a difference in the bitrate. Both the source and the mp4 container show vbr, but the bitrate is lower on the mp4 container. Unfortunately I don't think the captain is around anymore to help with techno stuff.

Is it though? Because for the first one it only shows OVERALL bitrate (unless i am just somehow not seeing it?) So that would include that lossless dts audio would it not? Only the remux is showing the specific video bitrate...

Edit: nevermind i see it now. Hmm.

Could you try remuxing it with virtualdub2 instead? It works with far more containers than the original virtualdub did.

Could you try remuxing it with virtualdub2 instead? It works with far more containers than the original virtualdub did.
I might give it a shot, but I've found this technique isn't very convenient to me editing-wise anyway for a few reasons, so I've decided to compromise a little bit. After all I'm going to relink my proxy to the original file when I'm done editing and it's ready to export.

Back
Top Bottom