• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Avengers: The Infinity War

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit submitted, thread moved to pending approval.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Infinity War Academy review:

The framerate problem is now totally fixed and I watched the whole edit this time. It is a fairly light edit but the changes are great and I welcomed a rewatch ahead of 'Endgame'. The new Gamora prologue works much better than the original cut and the added music works well. There are still a few issues sound/music wise that need fixed before this can be approved but apart from those, this is a smoothy executed edit.

The image quality isn't great but it is just about acceptable. For a 12.3gb file, I'd expect near perfect 1080p. Not rendering the black bars above and below would help reduce the filesize, or allow you to increase the bitrate for the same filesize. It can be surprising how much space is wasted by those black bars with nothing in them. So instead of 1920x1080, you want 1920x800 (assuming this is a standard 2.35:1 aspect-ratio movie).

The following three issues need fixed for this to be approved:

00.02.08 - The music still abruptly ends in silence after the prologue. You need to have it fade out more slowly, or have some sound for it to fade in to, in order to disguise the join. Could the music and radio chatter be brought together and crossfaded by trimming some more runtime from each scene? That would make blending the two easier. By the way, movies are rarely actually totally silent, even when things are super quiet there is normally something subtle going on in the soundmixx. The problem is you are going from a new prologue into the TOTAL silence before the movie originally started. It's never going to sound right that way IMO. It might be easier to make the transition smoother by moving the Marvel titles to the beginning before the flashback? That way you could add back the awesome fanfare music, which I personally missed. There are lots of options.

00.21.43 - You've added music over this action scene which is drowning out lines like "Where'd that come from?". Either remove it, or lower it a lot more in the mix. Spidey is hard to hear and the dialogue at 00.23.22 from Thanos' minion to Doc Strange is totally inaudible. Perhaps lower the volume overall a little, then lower it a lot more when anybody speaks.

01.56.22 - I really love the addition of the Doc Strange theme in this battle but when he and Thanos start talking at this point, none of it is in any way audible over the music. Either fade out the theme somewhere before the dialogue begins, or lower the volume of the music much more to a level where the dialogue can be heard again.

The following two issues could be better IMO but don't NEED to be fixed:

00.04.40 - The change in music is noticeable as Thanos mentions "The teseract". Try to smooth it some more.

02.14.18 - It doesn't look quite right where you've added your name to the end credits. The spacing between the letters/words is way too small, the font isn't bold enough and the line spacing is slightly to wide too. I get really nerdy about litle typographic details like that, sorry.

While I appreciated how quickly you came back with the framerate issue fixed, the sound issues I mention above need time and care to perfect. Please take a week or two to really finesse these areas before submitting a new version. No need to rush. Thanks.

Cavolon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks TM2YC i'll fix those issues 
but are there other changes that you would like to see?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ErnestoTheEditor said:
Thanks TM2YC i'll fix those issues 
but are there other changes that you would like to see?

Nothing specific but on this re-watch I did feel that the comedy is occasionally overdone in IW. Sometimes it feels like everybody in the ensemble has to get their punchline in a given scene, they're all funny but they should have picked the best line or two and trimmed the rest.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had a quick scan of the new version you put together... far too quickly for my liking. It's back to being in the wrong framerate, this time 24fps, not the correct 23.976fps. So the frame-blending has returned:

46625215155_b3e346ba2f_c.jpg

Before asking somebody to watch an edit, you need to watch it yourself to check it's right. So people don't waste their time and bandwidth. It was obvious within a few seconds of viewing that the framerate was a mess, or if I don't trust my eye I'll drop it into a free program called Media Info and that will tell you exactly what the framerate is:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/MediaInfo

00.02.06 - The mix between the music from the Gamora flashback, to the new fanfare music is fine but could be improved some more to make it really seamless.
00.02.16 - The fanfare music is waaaaay too quiet. At a guess, it's probably half the volume it should be.
00.02.41 - The transition out of the fanfare music sounds fine now.

VLC media player is struggling to play the file at all for some reason?? I don't know if the 24fps framerate is causing that, or the file is just corrupt? So I was unable to review past that opening.

Once again:

TM2YC said:
Please take a week or two to really finesse these areas before submitting a new version. No need to rush. Thanks.

Sorry but I'm refusing to watch another version for a week (that's Friday the 12th), so take that time, to finesse the edit and then re-watch the render to make sure it's correct please. Check it and then check it again.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So....about the feedback?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not mine, but ok.  It just seemed like you were ignoring it when you just responded with that clip.

Cavolon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I totally forget to respond my bad.
I'll look to the criticism

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've watched the 4th version of this edit and it's approved. It's not radically different but the changes are a definite improvement. The framerate is now fixed. Congratulations :) .

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

Although I was sent the new version a week after my last post...

TM2YC said:
Once again:

TM2YC said:
Please take a week or two to really finesse these areas before submitting a new version. No need to rush. Thanks.

Sorry but I'm refusing to watch another version for a week (that's Friday the 12th), so take that time, to finesse the edit and then re-watch the render to make sure it's correct please. Check it and then check it again.

...as requested, it was disappointing that I could see from the date-stamp in the file's info that it was in fact rendered/created just a few hours after my post. Time had clearly not been spent finessing, improving and double-checking. That it was free of errors was perhaps more luck than anything else? I wonder if the file was even checked at all before it was sent to me to do the checking instead. While it was never claimed that a further week of time and care had been put into this 4th version, it does seem slightly dishonest behaviour by omission.

As it's now fault-free and the problems I highlighted have been addressed I'll approve this but I strongly suggest taking the time to watch and rewatch future edits.  It's so easy to make small mistakes with an edit and it's not respectful of one's potential viewers to ask them watch your edit, if you haven't first watched it yourself.

After an editor is approved, future edits are taken on trust but "Faneditor" status can be revoked if future edits are found to be full of obvious errors and faults. That said, good luck with those future projects.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congratulations man, it's good to finally have an Avengers edit on here that isn't just an extended cut of Ultron for the 1904994th time

Cavolon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks again TM2YC and i will take your advice on future edits that are harder to make

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved to Fix/Mix.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
it's good to finally have an Avengers edit on here that isn't just an extended cut of Ultron for the 14,000,605th time

zapp_brannigan_suspicious_futurama.gif

Nah you're right though, good to have another abate light edit of an Avengers film. Would of loved to cut a bit more out and changed other things but...
tenor.gif

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a very light edit, yet very effective. As already mentioned, moving the Gamora flashback to the prologue works extremely well. The edits are all Largely invisible, though in the scene with Starlord & Gamora, I thought I detected the slightest  bit of Drax starting to speak, before it cuts to Knowhere, but I could be wrong. Very enjoyable watch to set me up for Endgame!

Cavolon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TerryRL said:
Great job! I really dug what you did with it.

Glad you liked it but could you give a review on my ifdb page?

Top Bottom