• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

audio popping

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I have been using this to edit the two-part episodes of Stargate SG-1 into kind of movies (only leaving the onscreen credits), and it's working nicely. The only thing is when I make a cut and overlay the audio in the music track (to blend the sound of a fade out into the fade in of the next episode) sometimes there is a popping sound. I have been syncing the track up as good as I can (even zooming in to make sure it's perfectly aligned), but it's still kind of hiccuping the sound a little. Any ways around this?

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nobody? I think Boon uses this program, and others as well.

Well, I have another question anyway: In the whole conversion process, does the sound file used stay the same? I authored The Siege (Parts I-III) or SGA in AC3 six-channel using Womble. Will the channels be the same as the studio disc, or is it 'fake' 5.1?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't use womble. Otherwise I woudl have helped. Sorry. I liek the program though and must get into it.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ULEAD MEDIA STUDIO PRO 8

Jaiman Tuckuh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You need to fade down both ends of each audio clip, to get rid of the pop.

If you want to do a crossfade, you can use Womble's transistions (I can't give you any info on that).

Or you can do it manually, like I do, and put the first clip on the speech track, and the next on the audio track, the third on the speech track, and so on. Then you overlap the ends of the clips and fade each end down.

Regular Womble will only save 2-channel audio if you blend AC3 manually (and maybe if you blend it with transitions). Or if you try to mix 5.1 & 2.0. Or if you mix bitrates.

Womble-DVD doesn't have that restriction. It saves 5.1 ac3 if you tell it to.

It seems to be true 5.1. The audio goes to the correct channels. And it does a good job of converting 2.0 clips to 5.1.

I only ran a couple of tests, but it doesn't seem to do any phoney mixing - seems to isolate a true center channel and true rear channels and true L&R (and true sub, but that's easy).

(Some freeware makes true 5.1, but some others do lazy mixing like some of the earliest pre-dolby electronics used to do - mixing just effs up your sound environment).

(And some freeware do a better job of faking, by using delays & analysis & stuff - ambisonics & ambiphonics are examples of the more advanced fake-5.1. You sometimes want to use those if your source is non-dolby stereo. But I'm digressing here).

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the help, Jaiman. I am a little confused, though. Heh.

What I am doing is demuxing the vob files from the DVDs, converting the ac3 into a wav, remuxing the m2v and wav files into a mpg. I then plug THAT mpg into Womble, and use the DVD authoring tools in Womble to export when the editing is done. Does this process maintain the 5.1, or does all the changing and everything strip it down?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
that process is not necessary for womble, which can read vobs. It also handles mpg movies consisting of m2v and ac3 (5.1), that is how it keeps the 5.1
What so good is about womble is the smart rendering, which only encodes the video where you made cuts of changes. The rest stays unharmed. So does the audio.
What you did sounds as if you wanted to use Ulead MSP.

Jaiman Tuckuh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think you lose 5.1 when you save to wav. A person can save a 5-channel wav, but I don't know if Womble can read it.

You should stick with ac3, the way it's done in ADM's guide. Like Boon says, the big advantage is that you don't have to lose quality with each conversion step. And it also saves a ton of space.

Now if only Womble had all the features of the others, or the others had Womble's features... sigh...

And, if I get you confused (I hear that a lot :) ) just ask me to explain, and I'll confuse you some more. ;)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ULEAD MEDIA STUDIO is supposed to have smart rendering too, BUT only for vodeos with constant bitrate and you have to know the exact bitrate for it to work, Unfortunately Ulead does not have a bitrate measuring tool.
They also say their program can handle 5.1 sound, but when it comes to workign with it, it gets tedious. so there is a bunch of open promises for no.9, I guess.
Yeah, if womble had a good encoder and some better tools it would be the most terrific tool of all. It still is a great tool for faneditting though.

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I imported some vobs into Womble and I don't like how glitchy it gets. It also seems to have deleted a big chunk, making all the work I did after that area on the timeline moot. I didn't notice the chunk was missing until I had completed the project and was checking it over. I might have accidentally done it myself, but I am going to blame the program. But I built it back up and exported the DVD and it seems to work fine. Working from vobs seems to save time, and also SHOULD preserve the ac3 files. I mean, I don't see why it wouldn't.

PS: I was just screwing around and Womble accepts mov files! I think I will need to make a SW fanfilm DVD now...

Top Bottom