• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Audio format and editing in Premiere (another one)

YunaFire

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've followed 'ADigitalMan's Guide to MPEG2/AC3 Editing' for the necessary ripping/demuxing/etc. Turned out awesomely, kudos to that. The files work alright in Womble, no problems. However, I've never used this program before - I'm used to how I've customized Premiere - so the lack of audio tools is frustrating, among other things (ability to add in new tracks, title creator, etc etc).

Unfortunately, Premiere doesn't accept .m2v or .ac3 files the way Womble does. Is there some plug in I am missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i dont use premiere, but i know that vegas is also like this. you probably have to mux the files into an .mpg file to use in premiere

YunaFire

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for the quick response!

Muxing I can do - TMPGEnc is great for that - but then I run into another problem. Premiere doesn't seem to like .mpg.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The same issues in Vegas. .mpg isnt the best format for editing really. Womble really is the only one to handle this so well, but you have discovered that Womble has many limitations. I usually make a high quality .avi file for editing in Vegas. You may need a similar method for Premiere.

...and yes, TMPGEnc rocks for muxing/demuxing :)

YunaFire

Reaction score
Trophy Points
High quality avi, yeah, I could go that route. Experimented the other day with codecs. Panasonic DV worked well, but no matter what I tried, it couldn't matched to the audio. I'm thinking maybe huffyuv is the only way to go, but I know the file size will be ginormous. I'll experiment further on a deleted scene. Is there a codec you can recommend besides those two?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I havent messed around too much with different lossless codecs, but from what I know, people seem to like huffyuv a lot. You could give that a go. Even an xvid if done properly can be quite nice. I've used xvid on some recent editing projects, and its come out fine (and the file size is much more manageable)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if you go for lossless Huffyuff is surpassed in quality by Lagarith.

YunaFire

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Premiere is a very picky program. Doesn't like xvid either. It'll import it... but not show anything.

Panasonic DV seems to be lossless, like huffy, but has a much lower filesize. Only problem with it, I've found, is that it gives the colors an oddly green tint. Its noticeable especially when compared to huffy.

Lagarith I haven't heard of, but I'm willing to try it out. Anything for the quality. How are the file sizes?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vegas doesnt like xvid either. you can do one of two things to overcome this problem (probably the same for Premiere)
  • change the header to DIVX with fourCC[/*:m:3t7nyuze]
  • frameserve it in with virtualdub & VFAPI[/*:m:3t7nyuze]

note that the fourCC method is really really easy, but causes the "black frame issue" in Vegas. I doubt this problem will crop up in Premiere.

I am not sure what the filesizes are like for those two lossless codecs.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Panasonic DV is not losless, but it gives a DV codec that is not based on wmv or asf and can be read by vitrualdub as well.
Lagarith: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Lagarith ... ideo_Codec

from videohelp.com:
Lagarith is a lossless video codec. Lagarith offers excellent compression. Lagarith is able to operate in several colorspaces - RGB24, RGB32, RGBA, YUY2, and YV12. Also, Lagarith will never down-sample video, preventing inadvertent quality loss. For DVD video, the compression is typically only 10-30% better than Huffyuv. However, for high static scenes or highly compressible scenes, Lagarith significantly outperforms Huffyuv.

YunaFire

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want to thank everyone for their help. I used Lagarith, and the file size for the entire film I plan to edit (over 2hrs) is around 50gb. For the extra control in Premiere, its totally worth it.

I just hope I can export to dvd. I've never done that before in PremProCS3. Only used it to make small music videos.

Question: Are we required to provide a full-length dvd when uploading, or would a simple 700mb-1gb movie file do?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you can release it in whatever format you find appropriate. A small file might be good for a first view anyway (Uncanny Antman released his firstling in 700mb too and later on presented the DVD).
you can use a frameserver to let a high quality encoder like tmpg or Cinema Craft Encoder do the encoding: http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/

Dluppers

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
YunaFire said:
I've followed 'ADigitalMan's Guide to MPEG2/AC3 Editing' for the necessary ripping/demuxing/etc. Turned out awesomely, kudos to that. The files work alright in Womble, no problems. However, I've never used this program before - I'm used to how I've customized Premiere - so the lack of audio tools is frustrating, among other things (ability to add in new tracks, title creator, etc etc).

Unfortunately, Premiere doesn't accept .m2v or .ac3 files the way Womble does. Is there some plug in I am missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

if you want to edit mpg and m2v files in premiere you need the mainconcept mpeg plug-in,but the ac3 is always a problem with premiere,sometimes it works if you import a mpg file with ac3 audio,but it won't let you import ac3 on its own,it says its not a supported format,best thing to do is split the ac3 into separate channel wav files and import them that way

Top Bottom