• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Audio Cross Fades in Womble (Mini - tutorial)

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use Womble for the majority of my video and audio editing. I deal mostly with muxed MPEG as opposed to audio and video separately. The way I had previously done cross fades with Womble is using tranzor's "fake cross-fade in Womble method". I stumbled upon a method for audio cross fades literally 5 minutes ago. Now I don't claim that this idea is original. I'm sure others have thought of this method before me. But I had a light-bulb "Aha!" moment and it worked.

So here is a pretty simple method for achieving cross fades in Womble:

1) Take the two video clips (I used muxed clips) you will be joining together. Go to the effects tab and choose either: Add Dissolve, Blend or Fade. I haven't really noticed a discernable difference between the two (when it comes to the audio).

2) Drag the transition into the meeting point between the two video clips.

3) Render the MPEG (or I suppose you could render out the AC3 audio separately)

4) Go back to the project and delete the transition between the video. (Click at the meeting point, then right click and select delete transition)

5) Add the rendered audio or MPEG to the timeline (either on the music track - with the cello icon, or the text track just below the video track - despite it being labeled as a text track, putting audio in that timeline works fine too).

6) If you look at the lined up video and audio you will (or should) see that the video track will be two seconds longer than the audio track.

7) To fix the discrepancies in length and to synch up the audio and video you need to trim your two video clips.

8) Put the marker on the timeline at the exact meeting point of the two video clips (I strongly recommend, as does ADM in his editing tutorial, to use the zoom function, I zoom all the way in as far as I can go, to ensure that the marker is in the exact spot that I want it to be in.

9) Note the exact time stamp for the meeting point. Now move the marker backwards (to the left, towards the first video clip) until the marker is exactly one second before the meeting point timestamp. Then click/select the first video clip. Bring your cursor towards the end of the clip. An icon with two arrows pointing left and right will appear. When this icon appears click on the end of the clip and drag the clip to the left until the end of the clip is at the exact point where the marker is.

10) The next step is almost exactly the same as the previous step. There will now be a gap between the two clips. That is fine and we can take care of that later. Now move the marker to the beginning of the second video clip. Note the time stamp. Move the marker until it is exactly one second after the beginning of the clip. Select the video, click and drag the video until it is in line with the marker.

11) Now you can shift the second video clip to the left until it meets together with the video clip.

12) The audio and video should now be the same length. *Select each video clip and right click, go to "Audio" and select Mute*. Preview with the output screen and the video and audio should be in synch and you should have a nice 1 second cross fade between clips.

This may be a bit tedious but I am happy I found this and will be using this method in the future.

I tried to make this tutorial simple enough to follow yet not overly detailed as to be confusing. If you have any questions feel free to post.

I hope this method will be helpful to Womble users and please let me know if you decide to use it/try it out!

My lord, stuff like this makes me glad I switched to Vegas. All you have to do in Vegas is physically drag one clip over another clip.

Sorry 'bout the off-topic post.

TV's Frink said:
My lord, stuff like this makes me glad I switched to Vegas. All you have to do in Vegas is physically drag one clip over another clip.

Sorry 'bout the off-topic post.

Lol, not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom