• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Audio Clipping - is 5.1 to Stereo conversion the issue?

I used MakeMKV to rip both cuts of the film, then used tsMuxerGUI to Demux all three mixes (7.1, 5.1, Stereo).
Via @DigModiFicaTion's recommendation, I'm going to use aviDemux to get a high quality video of both cuts (when I get to that step in the pipeline).

It's a spaghetti at the wall idea (to see what sticks) and you might have already covered it but, does the ripped not-yet-demuxed MKV play with correct audio levels? Is it possible (even if not likely) that ripping is the step where the problem is introduced. I have heard of some having bad experiences with some versions of MakeMKV for Mac (not specifically this problem)

It's a spaghetti at the wall idea (to see what sticks) and you might have already covered it but, does the ripped not-yet-demuxed MKV play with correct audio levels? Is it possible (even if not likely) that ripping is the step where the problem is introduced. I have heard of some having bad experiences with some versions of MakeMKV for Mac (not specifically this problem)
Okay, that's interesting... after giving the MKV a listen, it does sound really quite loud.
Will check settings and then potentially re-extract it for comparison 👍

It's a spaghetti at the wall idea (to see what sticks) and you might have already covered it but, does the ripped not-yet-demuxed MKV play with correct audio levels?
Hey, @addiesin, gave it a try but MakeMKV doesn't appear to have any kind of "normalize" feature to begin with or way to adjust video settings. After comparing to non-MKV prints of the film, however, I don't notice that drastic a difference in audio levels, so I'm still not convinced it's MakeMKV to begin with.

If it is, the most related to that was something to do with 7.1 Audio problems? But not 5.1 Mixes. Apparently Mac doesn't support DTS-HD (7.1) files, unless you get a new sound card (changing a Mac's sound card is like sailing to Antartica in a Row-boat, it ain't happening). 5.1 is a DTS (No extra HD), so I don't really think this has anything to do with the problem and I'm still leaning toward tsMuxer itself being the problem.

If worst comes to worst, I'm just going to have to go with the normalized split WAVs from Audacity. There's a good chance, if the issue with the 7.1 Mix on a Mac is true, that I simply just won't be able to do a 7.1 Mix for this edit. That would kinda blow, since that's its native theatrical sound mix, but I do not have the capability to switch from a Mac to a Windows computer just for fanediting 🤷‍♂️

If it is, the most related to that was something to do with 7.1 Audio problems? But not 5.1 Mixes. Apparently Mac doesn't support DTS-HD (7.1) files, unless you get a new sound card (changing a Mac's sound card is like sailing to Antartica in a Row-boat, it ain't happening). 5.1 is a DTS (No extra HD), so I don't really think this has anything to do with the problem and I'm still leaning toward tsMuxer itself being the problem.

I actually ripped the same Blu-ray for my project (a combo of xmen movies) but even though I edited on Mac at the time I ripped on an old windows machine and the audio I chose from that one was 5.1 because I was afraid of 7.1 and also wanted it to "match" my other sources.

So unfortunately I can't confirm your theory, but it seems likely. 7.1 is probably part of the problem.

I actually ripped the same Blu-ray for my project (a combo of xmen movies) but even though I edited on Mac at the time I ripped on an old windows machine and the audio I chose from that one was 5.1 because I was afraid of 7.1 and also wanted it to "match" my other sources.

So unfortunately I can't confirm your theory, but it seems likely. 7.1 is probably part of the problem.
@TM2YC See the last two posts.
I don't know if you're a mac editor, but even if you're not this might be a related problem. You mentioned you were having trouble with the 7.1 Mix of the film you were working on, and had never had trouble before... it sounds like (based on my technical research, as well as field tests by all three of us) there are computers out there with sound cards that don't support 7.1 files (DTS-HD) and that results in clipping if you MKV it; if you group MKV all the audio tracks, like I've been doing, it appears like it might also clip all the tracks as well if the 7.1 Mix is present.

5.1 Mixes by themselves doesn't seem to be a problem, because they're generally a more supported file type (DTS, not DTS-HD) than 7.1 Mixes. So that might be the problem you're running into; I don't know if you use MakeMKV, but that seems to be a universal MKV software problem (at least for Mac users).

Hope this helps 👍
Happy editing!

I used HDStreamsExtractor. I managed to get it extracted without clipping (mentioned a few posts up) but in the end I went with the 5.1 mix I had on a 2nd DVD copy. The 7.1 mix was probably fine but I wouldn't like to spend hours on a project, using an audio source I don't trust.

Maybe I'm being dumb about tech things (quite probable :LOL: ) but how could a soundcard effect the muxing of a file on my hardrive, into a different file on my hardrive. That's got nothing to do with playing or hearing the two files right? But you could be on the right track, e.g. my PC is missing a codec or something to properly read DTS-HD?

But you could be on the right track, e.g. my PC is missing a codec or something to properly read DTS-HD?
Bingo, this is exactly right. Macs have historically had problems with clipping 7.1 audio when MKV'd, since their sound card doesn't have the DTS-HD codec.

@addiesin alright, after ripping a new MKV without the 7.1 Mix, the 5.1 Mix is still clipping when it's brought into audacity.
I'm definitely convinced tsMuxerGUI is part of the problem at this point, since it seems very few of the top editors on this site even use it.

Before I totally rule in favor of simply accepting defeat, and going with normalized audio, I'll do two things...
1) I've attached some photos of my setting in tsMuxerGUI. If anybody can see something I'm doing wrong, don't hesitate to say so:

2) If there's really no way to fix this problem in tsMuxerGUI, I'll also probably try demuxing audio with a different software. I've already heard about HD Streams Extractor; I don't know if aviDemux works with 5.1 audio, but since I'm already likely using it for the video codec I might also use it for extracting the soundtrack. Any other softwares for extracting audio (compatible with Mac) worth mentioning?

Back
Top Bottom