• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

audacity 6 mono to ac3 5.1 coming out quiet?

Lord_Elrond_St.Hubbins

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i like to export 5 mono wav files from premiere to bring into audacity to make a 5.1 ac3 file but it seems like when I test the ac3 file against the mono wavs in premiere the ac3 file is a measure quieter than the wavs. any idea why this is happening?

i export from premiere at 32bit floating point 48000hz

i export from audacity with 320kbps ending with a file around 250 mgbs

Is premiere not able to make the 5.1 ac3 file?

not that I've been able to figure out yet. the way they route the audio files is kinda strange. you need to designate tracks either mono/stereo/5.1 when importing i have 6 mono wavs. which i can then pan l/r but not front or back as far as i can tell

I only ask because in Vegas you just output direct to a 5.1 ac3 file. Someone who has experience with Premiere will have to chime in if it's possible to do so.

I think I've figured it out! I needed to make a new sequence with a 5.1 master track rather than stereo and just copy the whole project into it.

Lord_Elrond_St.Hubbins said:
i like to export 5 mono wav files from premiere to bring into audacity to make a 5.1 ac3 file but it seems like when I test the ac3 file against the mono wavs in premiere the ac3 file is a measure quieter than the wavs.

i export from audacity with 320kbps ending with a file around 250 mgbs

I don't know why your audio is too quiet, because I don't use Audacity; however, I would point out that the bitrate that you are using is too low for 5.1 AC-3. Use 448 for DVD or 640 for BD. 320 is the bitrate that people who encode 5.1 AAC usually consider transparent to the source.

If you don't find a solution in Premiere or Audacity, consider using WAV to AC3 encoder, a GUI for Aften. Use the Mux Wizard to assign your mono WAVs to channels before encoding.

Back
Top Bottom