• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Attempting a fan edit, how to even begin?

Muyfa666

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi fellas. Not sure if this post is allowed, but I'll give it a go...

I've been searching high and low for Tombstone in HD with the extended Director's Cut scenes inserted from SD.

I've found some very nice releases, but they all seem to be closed for the general public.

Since I really want this, I've obtained the US DVD of the Director's Cut and the standard edition on BD with the intention to make a complete cut, with a bit of upscaling and cleaning

Problem is, I have never done anything like this. How do I even begin?

I'm thankful for any tips and help I may get.

Here's a good thread on ripping a prepping video files from DVD or Bluray.
Once you have the video in an editing software like Davinchi Resolve, Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas, I find the best way for me to edit is just to watch it through and see if there are any points where I want to remove a line or a shot, or move a scene to a different point in the movie. It might also help to watch rhe film through with a pen and paper and write down any ideas you get, and do the same thing after you've done one draft edit.

A good way to make cuts you've added seamless is to cross fade the audio. This means taking a bit of the audio leading up to the shot you're about to cut to and fading it in before the cut happens, and then taking some of the audio from after what you just cut away from and fading it out just after the cut. You can also have the two audio tracks fade in and out at the same time if that works better.

That's the only trick I think you really need to know before getting started. Other stuff you can probably find tutorials for either here or on YouTube, or you'll just pick them up as you continue to edit.
If uou need to find out how to use your editing software, almost all of them have hours of tutorials on YouTube that cover more or less everything they can do.

Thanks alot. I'll try to get this going as soon as I get the BD. :)

I actually have the edit that you are looking for. It's exactly what you describe.

Back
Top Bottom