• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Attack of the Clones: The super 8 cut

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
aotcsuper8poster3.jpg

Fanedit Film Name: Attack of the Clones: The Super 8 Cut
Brief Synopsis: This is not the prestine, perfect cut of episode II, it is a condensed
Nitro fueled version meant to entertain in a fast and straightforward manner.
Firstling Name: Rogue-theX
Original Film Name: Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones
Studio Name: Lucasfilm
Genre: Action Adventure
Franchise: Star Wars
Fanedit Type: TrueFan Edit
Original Running Time: 142 minutes
Original Release Date: 2002
Fanedit Running Time: 34 minutes
Fanedit Release Date: febuary 2011
Amount of time cut.: 108 minutes

Intention: To turn Star Wars Episode II into a vintage super 8 abridged release, Spread across two 17 minute 'reels'.

Cut-List:
1. Created new opening and end credit sequences
2. Gave the movie a worn out, aged film look. this edit is in fullscreen to help give it a more retro feel
3. Shortened pretty much every scene i kept
4. Removed all but one Naboo scene
5. Removed Darth Sidous From all but the end of reel 2
6. Removed nearly all the political nonsense
7. Tightened the pace of action scenes
8. Cut the lamest part's of Anakin and Padme's love story
9. Yoda is not a dancing lightsaber weilding disgrace in this version
10. Obi-wan and Anakin do not spend half the film arguing about everything
11. Anakin doesn't go off killing a bunch of sand people like some creepy mixed up sith guy
12. Removed scenes of Obi-wan snooping around the sepperatist base
13. C-3po does not partake in the end battle scenes
14. Pretty much removed anything that got in the way of the entertainment

Thanks: This edit was inspired by the super 8 preservations Puggo created. Thank you Puggo, BionicBob, Captain Khajiit, Tv's Frink, RemixedByJorge and everyone at fanedit.org and originaltrilogy.com.

THIS IS A FULL SCREEN RELEASE

Technical Info: Womble, Gimp, Virtualdub (with many filters), HCencoder, Avisynth, Goldwave, Wavepad, Dvd-lab PRO 2

Release information:* Single Layer DVD (ntsc)

Special Features: About the edit, Bonus trailers

AOTC_Super8_Cover1_3dview.jpg

For your viewing pleasure, this edit is now on vimeo:

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congratulations on finishing, and good luck getting it approved :)

(btw, what did I do to get in the credits?)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank's Frink, you got credit because your posts are hilarious, if i didn't have frink posts to read i'd have less fun around here and editing, because i do get frustrated editing. Make sense?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hell yeah :)

I have to admit I wasn't very interested in this at first. I'm not big on old-style (or whatever you want to call it) editing like this. But then I watched the trailer, and saw the runtime and description...and now I'm looking forward to this!

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not to pooh-pooh, but the trailer footage looks more like a '20s film than a Super 8 release. Is it representative of the finished edit?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you mean the footage itself, the whites are blown up more than typical super 8 i think, andi didn't want it to look like the owner had done a good job taking care of the reels. I mostly based the look off of this:
But i really wanted the edges of the screen to glow with color. As for the pacing and action of the trailer, yes maybe more 20's, i just had the basic trailer idea in my mind and went with it. :)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That explains the colors. :)

I could be wrong, but I thought that most Super 8 reels usually retain correct color separation, as opposed to everything being orange like that example. No matter. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue has been a long time contributer to this forum,
crafting wonderfull DVD covers for our various members,
always providing positive/supportive comments in his reviews,
and now he has shared his first official fan edit with us!:dance:

So let me just get it out of the way, and say up front,
this Fan Edit is EXCELLENT! I was thoroughly engaged and entertained.
Thumbs up from me! I absolutely APPROVE this edit!:rockon:

Let's get into specifics...

The Trailers....

All excellent vintage choices. Many of them childhood favorites.
I nearly pissed my pants with laughter when I saw the title Rogue gave the Bruce Lee movie! Awesomeness!!! (though maybe there should be a RESTRICTED WARNING for that one...:D)
It would have been really funny if the Flash Gordon trailer was presented in MONGO-vision...
One thing is clear from these trailers, Rogue loves to manipulate music, and he really shows his diverse tastes and talent. It definitely piqued my interest and left me wanting to see more.:icon_cool:

When I was a little kid (this would be the mid/late 70s), we lived in a small town with a small independant movie theatre, and every Saturday they would have a double bill matinee of slightly older/poor print movies. I used to love going, it is where I saw the old Tarzan movies, Sinbad, tons of westerns and other B and C movies. Your trailers totally transported me back to that time.
Well done!

:focus:
The Movie....

Okay, the very fact Rogue managed to cut Attack of the Clones down to less than 40 minutes and that it totally works, is brilliant in itself! He smartly built the story around 3 big action pieces, kept the mystery and key character moments, and it all blends together marvellously.

I love that Rogue totally cut the Emperor out of the movie except for the closing shot. I think this is fantastic choice. All the Naboo stuff is gone and not even missed. As I said, storywise, the edit completely works! Well done.:popcorn:

The Look/Tech...

I am no expert, and my old brain has trouble remembering what actual Super 8 footage looks like, but I do like what Rogue has done here. Whether it is truly a Super 8 Look or not doesn't matter to me. What matters is he has taken something we have all seen more times than me like to admit and given it a fresh new look which I found to be very enjoyable.

I like that each reel has it's own distinct look. I love the smudges and hairs that show up.
The audio is great with all the hiss and pops!
I found all the cuts to be clean and smooth, all the transistions worked well for me. The Full Screen format worked really well for this type of edit and enhances the illusion.:whoo:

Technically, I think Rogue should be very happy with his acheivement.:canada:

I would give this Firstling a solid 9/10!

Congrats Rogue on a very well done and fun edit!:)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
...Rogue has been a long time contributer to this forum...
Lol, i haven't been here that long :D

Thank you so much for the detailed review and approval Bob, you just made my whole month :)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I belive it will be made available tommorow :)

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm glad to see that this has been approved, Rogue! If bob hadn't approved it, I certainly would have. I'll post a review as soon as it's up on the main site. :)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you very much Captain, sir :)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congratulations, Rogue! Can't wait to fire up jdownloader :)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank's Frink :)
I hope you like it!

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on getting your edit approved. i can't wait to check it our myself

Rogue-theX