• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Attack of the Clones - The Spence Edit Available Now!

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally released and posted on RS. Check it out!

Attack of the Clones was tied with Return of the Jedi as my least favorite Star Wars film, so I more or less just tried to make it more enjoyable for myself. There might be some questionable decisions in there for some of you, but I'd rather watch this version than any other.

There's literally a ton of cuts, so I'll just do the big ones here:

- No "we're making our approach to coruscant." right after he says that, we can see they are making their approach to coruscant.
- No dialogue from Typho before the explosion on the Senator's ship.
- Padme reacts faster to her handmaiden dying. There seems to be a lot of strange pauses and weird pacing in the dialogue throughout the film, so I minimized it across the board wherever I could.
- Shortened Anakin and Obi-Wan in the elevator.
- Jar Jar greeting Obi and Ani is gone.
- "Grown more beautiful...for a senator..." that's all gone. I decided not to have any of the heroes be bumbling idiots.
- Anakin doesn't talk back to Obi-Wan.
- We don't see Jango until he shoots Zam Wessel.
- "I don't think she liked the idea of me watching her sleep" is gone. As are any instances of Anakin being a creeper.
- There's an odd pause between Anakin jumping on the bed and cutting up the slugs and Padme waking up. This is now shortened.
- "are you alright, m'lady?" is gone. We now just see her entourage run into the room after Anakin leaves.
- Loads of cuts to the coruscant chase. No straight down drive, no power couplings, Anakin doesn't jump down 400 stories to land on the target car, Anakin doesn't lose his lightsaber.
- Obi-Wan no longer feels that Anakin will be the death of him. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure Obi-Wan Kenobi has not seen A New Hope.
- Wessel never gets out "It was a bounty hunter called..." Jango shoots her before she can even start.
- I lovingly borrowed the "Kamino System" voice over from Attack of the Phantom.
- Removed the awkward Palpatine scene. I like the idea that Palpatine and Anakin get close during the clone wars and ROTS, not in this film. It's never mentioned again anyway.
- "Don't look at me that way. It makes me feel uncomfortable" is gone. Anakin, stop being such a creeper!
- No Dex, no Yoda and the Younglings.
- Used the deleted scene of Mace and Obi-Wan in the hanger, with some slight omissions.
- Removed Anakin and Padme walking with their bags, talking about Naboo. Also removed the meeting with the Queen.
- Kept the first half of the waterfall scene. Not the part where Anakin rides that weird thing, but there's some nice Anakin/Padme bonding in the first part.
- Then go straight to the dinner scene where Anakin cuts the fruit for Padme. Again, it's some really nice bonding stuff between them.
- Removed any instance where Padme and Anakin confess their love to each other and explain the predicament they're having. We've already set up that Anakin and her cannot be together, we don't need a reminder every 10 minutes.
- Added back in the scenes at Padme's house and with her family, with some small cuts.
- Heavily trimmed the Jango/Obi-Wan fight.
- Anakin and Padme kiss on the balcony, but she doesn't pull away. This way it is set up that they are more or less together, but Anakin instead has to focus on finding his mother. It also explains why she wants to go with him. The rest of the scenes in the movie up until the arena fight have a different feel to them because of this change.
- No Jango/Obi space battle. It makes Obi-Wan look like a moron.
- Trimmed the scene with Watto on Tattooine.
- Cut lots of little dialogue bits at the Lars homestead.
- Anakin's mothers dialogue has been cut to the bare minimum.
- Jar Jar no longer suggests Palpatine gets emergency powers, it is discussed in Palpatine's office, then we follow Windu show up at the senate just in time to see it happen. By the way, Jar Jar has one line in this film.
- The conveyor belt sequence is highly edited. The droids never get off the ship. No Super Mario "run, jump, duck, jump" sequences. Padme is dropped out of that giant cauldron by the Geonosians so they can capture her. Anakin doesn't jump to different conveyor belts, simplifying the geography of the sequence.
- Padme just says "I love you" and they kiss before going into the arena. Short, sweet and effective.
- The creature fight in the arena is also heavily trimmed.
- The jedi attack has 3PO and R2 completely removed, and also some slight trims to improve flow.
- I removed the shot of Boba holding Jango's helmet. I like it, but due to my other cuts it didn't really fit nicely, and isn't crucial to the film.
- Some little trims to the battle for flow and pacing.
- Removed that terrible shot of Christopher Lee on the obvious green screen speeder bike.
- Padme doesn't order the Clone trooper to find a ship. He asks her if she's ok, and she says "uh huh" and stands up.
- NO YODA LIGHTSABER FIGHT! Yoda doesn't even come to the hanger that Dooku is in. He chops off Anakin's arm, Padme and the Clones arrive, he flies away. You seriously wouldn't miss it if you didn't know it was supposed to be there, backing up my claim that Yoda fighting is completely unnecessary and stupid in both films.
- I removed Obi-Wan's line about whether the Jedi think Dooku was right about a Sith Lord controlling the senate. That's like the third time somebody has dismissed that idea, and it starts to make the Jedi seem a bit stupid and incompetent.

The goals here were to remove unnecessary action, strengthen Anakin and Padme's relationship by seeing it blossom, not telling it, and to improve the overall pacing of the movie. I also wanted to remove Yoda's fight because I really really hate it. Like, Ewok level hate.

The film was 2hrs. 22min. It is now 1 hrs. 41min. That's alot of cutting and some may find it a little drastic. I think it makes it a brisk, exciting sci-fi action movie.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd love some feedback if anyone gets a chance to watch it. I also could really use some cover art for this. thanks!

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't know when I'll watch it, but I will.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did anybody end up actually watching this? I'd really like some feedback. I'm not looking for a pity party, but I'm starting to feel like nobody watches my edits anymore.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Obviously I watched it, although it was a while ago and done for the cutlist. A lot of these are blending together for me, honestly.

Looking at my spreadsheet, you cut out a good portion of what I didn't like in AOTC. My biggest complaints would be the untouched Ani/Padme garage scene and the inclusion of the Padme's Room deleted scene. Otherwise a solid edit. I don't recall any video or audio problems.

Sorry I don't recall more.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, I thought I already told you this but obviously not:
I did download it and watch the begining, but there was some little stuttering of the picture that made me stopped and
so unfortunately I did not go on.
I don't think it was a problem of my player software (I only have seen it on my PC screen), it looked like a PAL to NTSC convertion trouble (did you do that?)
like the ones on my JAWS NTSC edit and my silent star wars "clean" versions.
So it's not a very big problem, I mean it should be perfect but the edit is watchable (TV's Frink is a good example that people can enjoy your edit) :) .
Only I personaly did not care for EP2 enough to see it with a video that is not perfect.

PS: The "stuttering" effect is not always obvious but can be clearly seen in the opening shots of Padme's ship over coruscant,
when the camera is panning the city following the ship.
Those kind of shots are a bitch to make look great anyway (like the camera panning of Otoh gunga in Ep1, how many fanedit with stuttering effect here?
Makes me even want to look at my original DVD to see if it's perfect or not!)

If I recall, there was kind of the same problem with your T4 edit or am I mistaken?
If yes, then it's an issue you may correct for the next releases.

Again, sorry for this late-nonstorywise-but-more-technical-feedback.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
btw, stuttering can also happen if the bitrate exceeds ~9800kbps or so with hardware players.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
joebshmoe said:
btw, stuttering can also happen if the bitrate exceeds ~9800kbps or so with hardware players.

Oh, good to know.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As much as I enjoyed Attack of the Phantom, I've pretty much resolved to never watch any of the prequels (the Clone Wars cartoon included) again; they've got too much canon-trashing junk, and life's generally too short. (Possible exception will be allowed for live heckling/MST3K-ing between drunk friends and myself.) I think it was Trek XI that solidified this for me - all the visual flair of the PT in a far better flick than the three of 'em combined. Terminator Salvation was unsalvageable crap also.

In short, Spence hombre, it's nothing personal. ;)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Sorry, I thought I already told you this but obviously not:
I did download it and watch the begining, but there was some little stuttering of the picture that made me stopped and
so unfortunately I did not go on.
I should note that while I did not notice the stuttering, I barely had one eye on the picture as I was busy taking notes. Also I watched many parts on 2x speed, which lets me still hear everything but finish quicker. So I cannot speak to the stuttering issue either way.

Editroid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spence, it looks like when I tried to download your cut of Attack of the Clones on JDownloader, the file called SWaotcSpence.part14.rar is not working. It says it isn't available and can't connect to it. I really want to see what your cut of this movie is like, but I can't get complete access to it without making it complete. Could you please fix it?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I uploaded it. The file is still on my RS account, but it looks like RS has blacklisted the file for potential copyright infringement. I don't have the file anymore, but even if I did it's blacklisted now, so it will do you no good. The edit will have to be completely reuploaded by someone.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I take it you uploaded the second version, Throw? Did the second version correct the stuttering mentioned above?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think there is a version that takes care of said stuttering problems.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
I take it you uploaded the second version, Throw? Did the second version correct the stuttering mentioned above?

Like I said, the edit is viewable as it is.
The stuttering effect can be noticed, but it's a "smooth" stuttering effect, means it's a constant effect, so the flow of the motion looks okay most of the time.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
The stuttering effect can be noticed, but it's a "smooth" stuttering effect, means it's a constant effect, so the flow of the motion looks okay most of the time.

I understand now. Thanks! :)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It probably needs to be reuploaded with non-specific file names, correct?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah, it will probably need to be more cryptic next time. The files are encrypted and password protected, but i guess that didnt matter much. I would suggest the following naming scheme:

thisisnotastarwarsdvd.part01.rar

:razz:

Top Bottom