• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) Nominations for 2020 are now open! Submit your entries here.

ARMY OF DARKNESS | TELEVISION CUT RECONSTRUCTION - HD

RidgeShark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is something I’ve been wanting to do, but the sources out there have been very unsatisfactory. As far as I know, the tv cut has only been released commercially by two companies (please correct me if this is wrong):

1. Koch - An interlaced PAL DVD badly converted from a good looking NTSC source (much better than my SciFi channel recording). The playback has almost unnoticeable back and forth speed shifts. Even a short scene will not line up at all on a timeline with my old SciFi recording. AviSynth SRestore added to a deinterlaced 50p version of this produces unusable results.
  2. Scream Factory - It appears they simply took the Koch PAL DVD itself and did an extra poor conversion to NTSC. It has the same MPEG-2 blocking as the Koch DVD, but the resolution appears to have been further reduced and looks very poor.
So what appears to work here is to use a deinterlaced 50p version of the Koch and to go through and weed out unnecessary frames manually and make sure it matches my SciFi recording. I almost have the first tv-cut exclusive scene finished with this method and it looks very nice. But this is hugely time consuming (what I wouldn’t give for a high quality copy of the SD master!).

In the end, these scenes in addition to a high def copy of the Director’s Cut and Theatrical Cut will be used to help reconstruct the tv cut in HD. Audio will be taken from my recording the SciFi broadcast.

RidgeShark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love to hear anyone's thoughts on this. This was an early test to see how this process looks when upscaled to 1080p. This is processed from the Koch version using the manual process I described above. I’m not completely happy with the motion of the shots of Ash looking upward. I’ve gotten better at the process and will likely redo those two shots.

**link removed by admin**

RidgeShark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
May have made an interesting discovery.  It appears the Koch DVD was vertically blurred, similar to the GOUT DVDs, to hide aliasing.  My SciFi recording is lower resolution, but was not vertically blurred, so some horizontal lines and details are preserved better in the SciFi recording, despite it being generally inferior looking to the Koch.  Modifying an AviSynth script I found for extracting grain and reinserting it later, I think I found a way to reinsert that missing vertical resolution.  

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/176668

This avisynth script goes like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AviSource("C:\SciFiChannelAlignedtoKoch.avs")
grain1=mt_makediff(Blur(0,1.58).Blur(0,1.58)) #this extracts vertical resolution details

AviSource("C:\KochDVDAlignedtoSciFi.avs")
mt_adddiff(grain1) #this adds the extracted vertical resolution details to a different source
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll notice in the bottom right you can slightly see the SciFi Channel logo being added into the Koch image.

Not 100% perfect, but it restores more than it takes away.  Definitely requires perfect 1:1 alignment between sources.  Not really needed anymore for Star Wars, but this would have been useful for taking vertical resolution detail from the Star Wars laserdiscs and adding back to the blurred GOUT.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
link removed. Ridgeshark, you might want to get reacquainted with the rules. No direct downloads, even to previews. Please embed a youtube/vimeo video or have members contact you via PM for the download link

Top Bottom