• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Are updated/version 2 fanedits worth doing?

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I work on my edits, I've been thinking about the fanedits I've made so far. If/when I finish my Taxi Driver edit, I'm considering doing some updated version 2s of some of my previous fanedits.

For those editors who have done this:
What were your reasons for making an updated version?
Was it worthwhile?
Would you do updated versions of more of your edits in the future?

For editors who have considered doing version 2s, but decided not to:
What were your reasons for deciding not to do an updated version?

As someone who hasn't done a v2. I can think of a few reasons for updated versions:
1) Putting out your edit in HD (or simply using HD as your source for making an SD edit)
2) Fixing technical problems/issues
3) Fixing narrative

I'm sure there are plenty more reasons that I haven't thought of so I'm interested to hear what FE.org has to say!

I'm all for updated edits. A better edit is always good.

I think a v2 is certainly worth doing if you think you can improve upon the film/edit. I am slowly working on a v2 of my Terminator 2 edit. I used a poor source for my edit, which was also confounded by a couple technical issues.

v2 will address that and be in 720p HD. I also plan on revisiting a couple of the editing decisions and improving some of the SFX work I did.

bottom line: always make fanedits for yourself. If you think you can create a better version and get more enjoyment out of it: go for it. Otherwise leaving it will probably just eat at your soul... ;-)

i've gone back and added a few extras to a few of my edits, if you will a special edition version

leeroy said:
i've gone back and added a few extras to a few of my edits, if you will a special edition version

Nice. Extras are always fun additions and I think for some people it adds extra incentive to watch an edit.

I've thought about going back and adding extras, but realized it would just take time away fom my current projects.

TV's Frink said:
I've thought about going back and adding extras, but realized it would just take time away fom my current projects.

You and your logic!

I've done a couple of v2 of my edits but only to fix technical/editing issues that were missed first time round.

or, what Throw said.

I don't consider HD versions to be proper v2's as this makes tracking edits extremely difficult. a 'version' should denote that things have been fixed from the previous one.

resolution should simply be denoted by SD or HD or whatever else comes along in the future.

nOmArch said:
I don't consider HD versions to be proper v2's as this makes tracking edits extremely difficult. a 'version' should denote that things have been fixed from the previous one.

resolution should simply be denoted by SD or HD or whatever else comes along in the future.

I agree with this completely. The edit hasn't changed, just the format availability.

I have done two second versions and each was a completely different experience for me.

I did a second version of THIS OTHER EDEN, which fixed some tech issues but mostly to create a better ending. This I thoroughly enjoyed. Maybe because it was brief process since I still had all the files, but also I found it to be very fulfilling creatively.

On the other hand, the second version of THE VGER INCIDENT I found completely numbing and boring. Technically it is a better edit I guess, but it was a joyless experience that makes me a very reluctant to do any more versions twos.

bionicbob said:
I did a second [REDACTED], which fixed some issues but mostly to create a better ending. This I thoroughly enjoyed. Maybe because it was brief process since I still had all the [REDACTED], but also I found it to be very fulfilling [REDACTIVELY].

On the other hand, the second version of [REDACTED] I found completely numbing and boring. Technically it is a better [REDACTED] I guess, but it was a joyless experience that makes me a very reluctant to do any more [REDACTED].

Fill in the blanks...:p

I have done this for both reasons you have listed. I need to do a ver2 for two edits of mine but have been real lazy about it

I think it becomes a question of your own motivation to make a v2; it needs to be strong enough so that you approach it in the same way as any other project. Whatever that motivation is, if it is strong enough, that is reason enough, I think.

I initially decided to go back to my Return of the Sith edit to release it in HD (due to fan requests). But I quickly found that I had the opportunity to make the edit better, and subsequently spent probably as much time working on the v2 as the original. This was also my firstling edit, which means I could apply my improved editing skills as well.

At first, I was just going to "augment" my current release with this one. However, what I have now is actually a different edit -- for one thing, it is 6 minutes shorter (and when the original is 90 minutes, that's significant!). But beyond that, I've redone many other elements as well, such as scene re-ordering, and modifying plot elements.

I don't know what kind of precedent there is, but I do feel like this is different enough from my original release to warrant being a separate release. So I am calling it a "Revisited Edition" and do plan on releasing a SD version along with the HD, with new cover art, and all the rest that goes with a full release. I personally think it is a better edit, but maybe there are those that will still prefer my original release. I actually did have one of my workprint reviewers say he preferred the original(!) To me that tells me I've ended up with two different edits.

Reading back through reviews of my first edit, I've been tempted to go back and create another version to satisfy some of the more common complaints (the runtime, some of the rougher audio, some repetition, etc.). I would do it as an alternative version rather than a replacement, however.

Of course, at last count I have six projects waiting to get started after my current one, so....

:D

I'm not ruling it out...but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom