• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Are there any Hobbit edits that completely remove the first eagles scene?

Was THE EYE unidirectional… “distraction” suggested it was… yet in my mind it was a 360deg fisheye…see where I’m going?

Was THE EYE unidirectional… “distraction” suggested it was… yet in my mind it was a 360deg fisheye…see where I’m going?
Well if it was fisheye how did Aragorn’s army totally distract them? Like the eye’s POV was visualized with light in Return of the King. Don’t know about the book though

I was being silly….we know he had a limited field of view even thru the Palantir…

There's the Brodicks cut where after the COMPANY LEAVES Goblin town, Balin tells Bilbo the battle of Moria which replaces the Eagles.

Ironically while editing this I realised that (imo) removing the eagles is a bad idea for story and character reasons.

It's needed to setup Bilbo saying 'The eagles are coming' and give the scene weight in part 3. Without the previous eagles scene, this makes less impact.

I also kept the best Azog scenes. Azog is technically a book accurate character, just not placed correctly in the books timeline. Reducing his appearances to only the scenes where he looks good and removing every ugly scene (basically every scene where he talks to Bolg ewww) fixed most of my personal issues with the films.

Last edited:
Ironically while editing this I realised that (imo) removing the eagles is a bad idea for story and character reasons.

It's needed to setup Bilbo saying 'The eagles are coming' and give the scene weight in part 3. Without the previous eagles scene, this makes less impact.
I agree with you on that. Even though I hate that Deux Ex Machina (Deux Ex Aquilae maybe…), the Eagles are needed in Part 3, and there the Tolkien symbolism of their arrival actually works.

But they have to appear the first time, for the gravitas of the situation to work in Part 3.

Back
Top Bottom