• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Are there any Hobbit edits that completely remove the first eagles scene?

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Because i was thinking.. what if we cut to the out of the trying pan into the fire line and just cut to the dwarfs hiding from the wolves and looking for shelter at beorns house?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Because i was thinking.. what if we cut to the out of the trying pan into the fire line and just cut to the dwarfs hiding from the wolves and looking for shelter at beorns house?
Yes. I can't remember which ones though. I think Maple Films takes this approach along with others.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My versions remove the eagles and the whole pine cone sequence. The lapse in logic as to why they were not flown to Erebor bugs me to this day.

Tolkien was asked that very question in an old BBC interview… his response to the question posed by the interviewer was…

“SHUT-UP”

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My versions remove the eagles and the whole pine cone sequence. The lapse in logic as to why they were not flown to Erebor bugs me to this day.

Tolkien was asked that very question in an old BBC interview… his response to the question posed by the interviewer was…

“SHUT-UP”

I know that interview is hilarious! Glad to see someone removed it. Did you also remove them at the top of the mountain they were dropped on?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yup….no trace…it was a peak of action that would have derailed the narrative of my two film structure. It’s fine in the book, but it does not work on film coz it leaves a glaring plot hole IMHO!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If the eagles not flying them to the misty mountain bugs you, do you also not like that the eagles didn't take Frodo to mount doom to just drop off the ring? We as a humans rarely help each other to a finish line, why do we hold Eagles to a higher standard than our own? To eagles, the dwarves story might have simply been foolish, same with humanoids fighting each other for power. It's very clear that the eagles have their own society and values. It makes sense to me that they would only help to a certain extent.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If the eagles not flying them to the misty mountain bugs you, do you also not like that the eagles didn't take Frodo to mount doom to just drop off the ring? We as a humans rarely help each other to a finish line, why do we hold Eagles to a higher standard than our own? To eagles, the dwarves story might have simply been foolish, same with humanoids fighting each other for power. It's very clear that the eagles have their own society and values. It makes sense to me that they would only help to a certain extent.
Apparently the eagles owed Gandalf but had gripes with others…yup… the could have flown the ring and just dropped it in FFS!

:)

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yup….no trace…it was a peak of action that would have derailed the narrative of my two film structure. It’s fine in the book, but it does not work on film coz it leaves a glaring plot hole IMHO!

Flying to mordor brings risk, flying to the lonely mountain is completely safe.
Two totally different scenarios to be frank. Not to mention that it doesn't work visually at ALL to have them litterally look at their destination when the eagles drop them.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Flying to mordor brings risk, flying to the lonely mountain is completely safe.
I suppose this guy is completely safe...:p
game of thrones fire GIF

Two totally different scenarios to be frank. Not to mention that it doesn't work visually at ALL to have them litterally look at their destination when the eagles drop them.
Of course they're two different scenarios. It's also a fictional story that was written before people had time to scrutinize it and share such so effortlessly. Perhaps the eagles don't concern themselves with the ways of men. That was the point and question I was presenting. It also seems highky likely by the response of surprise when they do show up in either story. As was pointed out, they only came because a debt was owed to Gandalf, not the dwarves themselves.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

“SHUT-UP”
That was a youtuber doing an impression. Not an actual interview with Tolkien.

Because I'm honestly not sure if the laugh react means this was taken seriously or not: no, really. That's not an interview with Tolkien. I'd have thought it was obvious, but it seems it duped a fair few people... hence:

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I suppose this guy is completely safe...:p
game of thrones fire GIF

Of course they're two different scenarios. It's also a fictional story that was written before people had time to scrutinize it and share such so effortlessly. Perhaps the eagles don't concern themselves with the ways of men. That was the point and question I was presenting. It also seems highky likely by the response of surprise when they do show up in either story. As was pointed out, they only came because a debt was owed to Gandalf, not the dwarves themselves.

Problem is with the way its shows vs the lotr. I dont mind the eagles flying to the rescue. I love the eagles. I do mind the shot of them being dropped on top of a mountain while directly looking at their destination. But theres no way to fix only that part so the eagles just dont work for me.

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the could have flown the ring and just dropped it in FFS!
Well there's two reasons why they didn't.

1. The eye would have seen them coming and ordered his troops to kill them, which probably would have resulted in the ring falling into his hands. With the battle at the gate, Sauron was distracted enough to where Frodo and Samwise could easily sneak in and drop the ring into Mount Doom without him noticing.

2. The eagles were too stuck up to do it LOL

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well there's two reasons why they didn't.

1. The eye would have seen them coming and ordered his troops to kill them, which probably would have resulted in the ring falling into his hands. With the battle at the gate, Sauron was distracted enough to where Frodo and Samwise could easily sneak in and drop the ring into Mount Doom without him noticing.

2. The eagles were too stuck up to do it LOL
Distract Sauron while you fly in and drop it in, like HISHE did?

Top Bottom