• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Are there any decent forms of compression to use on a finished edit?

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Howdy. I'm preparing a fan edit for submission and looking into hosting/sharing options. I have a 3hr edit that is about 20gb and while that is not massive it does appear to severely restrict it for many sites' upload limits. I'm wondering if there's any conversion I can do to shrink the file that won't harm quality. Anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice much appreciated.

handbrake is a common and easy-to-use tool for compression. If you have any concerns about losing quality though, you can also do a split archive, which many people do. Upload the small chunks, others then download them and unzip them into a complete file on the other end. Here's a basic how-to that came up when googling.

and handbrake seems to often change the framerate to VFR even when told not to.
That never happened to me, to my knowledge. Maybe it's a bug in one particular version?

I've also noticed Handbrake isn't perfect when it comes to framerates after compression

I've not personally had any issues when the settings are set to constant framerate instead of variable. Bearing in mind: it's also a good idea to TELL handbrake what framerate you want though rather than just selecting "same as source" and hoping it guesses that correctly.

Handbrake seems to think my file is 2 minutes shorter than it is which is troubling already. I'm not really sure what I'm doing but I'll experiment. I have an m2ts file at the moment so I should probably convert that anyway.

you're better off rendering at a lower bitrate than compressing. and handbrake seems to often change the framerate to VFR even when told not to.

Is there an acceptable tolerance for reducing bitrate you reckon? Or should I just split and upload the highest possible quality only?

I try and upload two versions of a fanedit: one with a very high bitrate, similar to original rip (usually 20mbps is sufficient), which ends up being a big file around 15-20gb depending on runtime, and a lower res version at around 5mbps, which ends up being about 5gb, for those who don't want to download a large file. 5mbps usually looks fine.

I rip and edit the pure M2TS files off a blu ray, and then render at a higher bitrate (usually between 30/40 mbps) than the source files to ensure zero loss. POST render I use AVS4YOU to convert to an MP4, usually at 7.5mbps which gives about a 10gb file per 2hrs and is still very high quality in HD. For smaller devices, a bit rate of 2.500 mbps gives about a 3GB per 2hrs which is still decent even on a TV, but some pixelation can creep in on action sequences. The Godfather was rendered at 30 mbps and converted to MP4 at 7.5mbps MP4.

AVS is nice coz it integrates to Windows and allows right click conversion to multiple formats including MKV, MPEG, M4V, AVI, VOB, DVD TS Folders and BLU RAY disc and will burn to disc as well ...all directly on that right mouse click with a great audio extraction utility and much more to boot. All parameters are fully custimizable. I bought a lifetime licence on Black Friday many years back, and it is still live and being updated.

I've tried other progs for conversions, and many introduce audio artifacts at edit points and even throw the audio out of sync (WONDERFOX)..so years on...I'm still using AVS for conversions with no compliants from viewers (unless I cut a corner). Any image issues I have had have been due to rendering the MASTER FILES at a lower bit rate to try to save space....I have now learnt my lesson on that one...

Compression = CUBES (though it is inherant)...

I just recieved a St PAtrick Day offer for AVS

That never happened to me, to my knowledge. Maybe it's a bug in one particular version?

I've not personally had any issues when the settings are set to constant framerate instead of variable. Bearing in mind: it's also a good idea to TELL handbrake what framerate you want though rather than just selecting "same as source" and hoping it guesses that correctly.
Tried both of these today. Updated HandBrake to the latest version, set it to constant framerate of 23.978 (original file is 29.97), and got a VFR file very close to 23.978, but not CFR. Really not sure why, I tried it on two different PCs, same results. Virtually all my attempts to re-encode in Handbrake (whether it be keeping the fps the same or changing it) has resulted in VFR. Any suggestions? Perhaps there is a better way of changing the framerate - as I'm making a fanedit which used both 23.978 and 29.97 sources and I don't want any stuttering.

Very odd. I can't imagine why that would be :confused:

I just don't trust handbrake. There was always something wrong when I've tried to use it. I wasn't able to properly change framerate from 29,97 to 23,976 with it when I tried it. Maybe I'm just too dumb? :p

Luckily, I dont need to use it as I was able to find better solutions for every issue I've had.

It's never going to look good using handbrake to change framerate. I only use it as a compression tool.

I just don't trust handbrake. There was always something wrong when I've tried to use it. I wasn't able to properly change framerate from 29,97 to 23,976 with it when I tried it. Maybe I'm just too dumb? :p

Luckily, I dont need to use it as I was able to find better solutions for every issue I've had.
What did you use instead? I'm currently trying it in avidemux, also found something called otter for vegas

Tried both of these today. Updated HandBrake to the latest version, set it to constant framerate of 23.978 (original file is 29.97), and got a VFR file very close to 23.978, but not CFR. Really not sure why, I tried it on two different PCs, same results. Virtually all my attempts to re-encode in Handbrake (whether it be keeping the fps the same or changing it) has resulted in VFR. Any suggestions? Perhaps there is a better way of changing the framerate - as I'm making a fanedit which used both 23.978 and 29.97 sources and I don't want any stuttering.
What @The Scribbling Man said. I never ever use Handbrake to change frame rate. If I need to do that, I use Virtualdub and export a Lagarith lossless file with the new frame rate, which I then compress with Handbrake.

Thanks for your help @Dwight Fry @Gieferg. I had a look at virtualdub once but was a little overwhelmed. HappyOtter for Vegas uses avisynth and virtualdub scripts so hopefully that'll do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom