• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

are some blurays just really bad quality or am I doing something wrong?

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
during my process of working on quantumania I'm noticing issues with the quality. There are some really bad issues in the dark areas of the image, weird patterns and blocking. Is this just something we have to accept or am I making a big blunder somewhere along the way? Are there just some blurays that are really badly made?

Watch the bluray. If it looks bad, it ain't you. :)

Watch the bluray. If it looks bad, it ain't you. :)
haha that seems like the obvious answer XD
I've only used this br drive with makemkv though and I am not sure how to actually play the bluray 😅 windows mediaplayer doesn't do it, nor vlc or mpc-hc.

I was just wondering in general, do you notice some blurays are pretty bad?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what exactly are you doing with those Blu-ray discs (so I cant say where lays the source of the problem), but VLC player should play everything that has been ripped from BD.
At least I dont have any problem with doing that.

And yes, some blu-rays may and just look really bad (botched restorations like Predator, SD-upscales or messed up compression) but I wouldn't expect that from MCU release.

I'm not sure what exactly are you doing with those Blu-ray discs (so I cant say where lays the source of the problem), but VLC player should play everything that has been ripped from BD.
At least I dont have any problem with doing that.

And yes, some blu-rays may and just look really bad (botched restorations like Predator, SD-upscales or messed up compression) but I wouldn't expect that from MCU release.
yes it does seem unusual for MCU. I look at the br rips and it looks more or less okay, but looking in the dark areas, I see a lot of garbage like film grain but more 'digital'. watching the source, it looks okay, but this grainy effect is causing the blacks to get crushed when i output from my NLE unless I export uncompressed. to solve the issue, I have to taise the deep blacks by a tiny amount. I have to do that because putting this file though handbrake at quality level 20 results in artefacts in dark areas. it looks fine on an sdr screen but on my hdr tv it looks awful. maybe my setup is sub optimal, but I'm not sure where the problem may lie, madvr, mpc, windows, nvidea, my tv itself.... though I think the foundation of the issue may be this weird noise that is present.

I can't watch the br on my pc because of some kind of library that is missing. VLC tells me "This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it." so I need to put something in windows but to be honest I don't watch my blurays, I tend to put them digitally instead.

I usually watch my blu-rays on... standalone BD player.

Well, I cant help with any HDR-related problems as I am not at that level yet.

I usually watch my blu-rays on... standalone BD player.

Well, I cant help with any HDR-related problems as I am not at that level yet.
sorry if I caused confusion, I'm not editing in HDR, it's just how it looks on my HDR television that's all.

I would:
check the problematic scene on a TV
also check the same scene on a computer monitor using two different players (like VLC and MPV)
if you see the same issue, it's the bluray release; yes some of them are very bad
You can denoise the image in an NLE or using Topaz and then regrain it to increase the perceptual quality

I'm not editing in HDR, it's just how it looks on my HDR television that's all.

Yes, I know, and I dont have one so I dont know what problems may occur while watching something on it :)

Yes, I know, and I dont have one so I dont know what problems may occur while watching something on it :)
my bad :)

I would:
check the problematic scene on a TV
also check the same scene on a computer monitor using two different players (like VLC and MPV)
if you see the same issue, it's the bluray release; yes some of them are very bad
You can denoise the image in an NLE or using Topaz and then regrain it to increase the perceptual quality
Thanks, I will try that for sure!!

You can use this trick to play Blu rays in VLC using MKV.

Thanks, that's really useful :)

well I've identified the main source of what I'm identifying... There's something going on with my display setup that is causing SDR blacks to get crushed, therefore causing a noticeable line betweeon RGB(0,0,0) and RGB(1,1,1) pixel values. This should not be happening, the difference between black and almost black shouldn't be so stark, so I have to troubleshoot what's going on on my system.

This issue is making it so I am noticing the compression artefacts in the darkest areas of the bluray where most people would probably not notice them.

Back
Top Bottom