• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Archive splitting

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is ther anyway to use WinRAR to split 15mb files, or should I just create 1.4 mb archives and pack THOSE into archives, or simply just upload 3000+ archive files to FTP? Help :p

twistd101

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes. WinRAR can do this. When the popup screen where you name the archives pops up, where it says "Split to volumes, bytes" on the lower left, manually input 15000000 ...this will make 15mb splits. Also, if you're going for "scene"-style, set compression settings to "Store" (no compression). But if you want to compress go ahead, your question was about splitting. ;) Oh, and 15000000 is 14.3mb, which is the universally acceptable "15mb" ...if you want to do exactly 15mb, you'll have to get the byte calculator out heh.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't see that option...might it only be available if you pay for it, or is there a newer version?

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aha! Got it! Thanks >.<

twistd101

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No problem - if you have anymore snags, you know where to go. ;)

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
what do you do if the option to split is greyed out?

in otherwords i can see the option but cant interact with it

twistd101

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you have ZIP or RAR selected in the "Archive format" section? (See screenshot a few posts back for reference) To my knowledge, you can't split a ZIP [using WinRAR]... only RAR files.

Top Bottom