• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Apollo 13: The Super 8 Cut

I have many powerful psychic abilities...
cat-psychic-767489.jpg

OK, I did finally watch this. And it's FABULOUS.

I was a big fan of the original as well, so I wasn't sure this could be pulled off. But it was.

At first, the story seemed a bit jumpy and I wasn't really getting into it. But I realized that this was a Super 8 version of the movie, and the feel of it was probably similar to actual Super 8 movies of the era. I settled in and just accepted that I wasn't going to get emotionally connected to it this time. But then I did! All the right scenes are there; all the right emotional notes are hit. I had tears streaming down my face just as I did for the theatrical version!

Visually, the film looks terrific. The deliberately grainy look gives this production not only the feel of a Super 8 film, but frankly the feel of an actual documentary from the 1970s. If not for the fact that I know who Tom Hanks and the others are already, I would have thought that someone was just standing there at the actual launch (and inside the shuttle) capturing the whole thing.

There were some parts where scenes seemed to be moved around, but the editing was seamless enough that I wasn't ever quite sure when things were edited and when they weren't. I think the final shot was taken from a different point in the movie, but if I hadn't already seen the original (of course), I probably wouldn't have noticed.

I'm going to give this edit a 9 out of 10. I take just one point off because the film did seem to have a choppy feel to it in the beginning, although I have no idea what I would have done myself to make it better. But the rest of it was fantastic, and I wouldn't change a thing! Terrific job!

Hey, Tom, thank you for the review! :)

You mention that the start feels a bit choppy, could you elaborate a bit more on that? Maybe its because there is so much being skipped in the beginning?
I'm hoping the edits i made there are good because i went over everything so many times to perfect it, but there's a possibility i became immune to some things.

Then again, it's a super 8 edit (and only a single reel one at that), there's always going to be some cuts like that, its part of the style, not that i'm trying to hide behind that fact, lol, I'm actually trying to improve with each super 8 edit i do; even though the edit should deliberately have some bad looking cuts, its more enjoyable to me when cut real nice first and then adding the junk after to taste ;)

I think the AOTC super8 edit i did is the choppiest of the bunch, it would be nice to go back and Lucas that edit one day with a v2.

And for a very small update on the next super 8 collection: I'm thinking i will call it Tales of Science and Wonder: A super 8 collection, or just Wonder Stories: A Super 8 Collection, and have art a bit like this stuff:
thrillingwonder-aug38.jpg

1923_-_science_and_invention_-_frank_r_paul.jpg

5346839950_7263b5739b_m.jpg

So theres:
Apollo 13: 1 reel
The Green Duplicators Vs. Cmdr. Jim (Mission To Mars/Mars Attacks): 2 reels
Who Goes There (Thing '11): 1 or 2 reels
Super 8: 3 reels

I think that will probably end up being enough for a collection. Although i kinda would like one more non fiction edit to balance it out, any one have any ideas?

Rogue-theX said:
You mention that the start feels a bit choppy, could you elaborate a bit more on that? Maybe its because there is so much being skipped in the beginning?

Then again, it's a super 8 edit (and only a single reel one at that), there's always going to be some cuts like that, its part of the style,

Yeah, see, that's kind of what I was thinking. To have an accurate Super 8 cut, it probably should be jumpy at the beginning. :) And keeping it at one reel (of necessity) also contributes to the slightly choppy feel. There probably isn't any way around that.

You'd have to add a bit more with Tom Hanks on earth with his family to emotionally ground the story, and a bit more about why Gary Sinise had to stay on the ground to create suspense. But now we're no longer talking about a one-reel film.

Maybe if you just added the sequence where Tom Hanks explains why they're going back to the moon ("What if no one ever went back to America after Columbus went there, because it had already been done before?"). But that's just a thought. I would also get opinions from others if I were you - don't alter it just on my account! :)

TomH1138 said:
Maybe if you just added the sequence where Tom Hanks explains why they're going back to the moon ("What if no one ever went back to America after Columbus went there, because it had already been done before?"). But that's just a thought.

That might work as brief flashbacks Jim has while walking the plank (whatever it is) to the rocket, and being strapped into the seat. Not a bad idea! I might try this when putting together the next collection, thank's :)

Thanks for the review, Quickcut! :)

No problem. Looking forward to your next edit :)

QuickCut said:
Looking forward to your next edit :)

Rogue made an awesome short for Marvel Consecution, which should be coming out today or tomorrow.

How about doing Fire In The Sky as the other non-fiction film? Of maybe an episode of From The Earth To The Moon

TV's Frink said:

Yeah, but the spaceship was cool ;)

JJE-187 said:
How about doing Fire In The Sky as the other non-fiction film? Of maybe an episode of From The Earth To The Moon

Hey, JJ, thanks for stopping by! I think I have enough super8 edits to do now, I forgot I was working on a 10,000 BC edit and it will be part of the collection, so there's more than enough now. :)

Thank you kindly, [MENTION=29061]Linten1[/MENTION] , for posting a review! :)

I admit, I was really skeptical about this... But - that - was - incredible!!!

The Super 8 effect is really well done and the sound effect is great, especially when the tape is experiencing problem. :) The James Horner music mix is used perfectly and the emotional core of the movie is still magically there!

Really great work mister!!!!

Forgetting the fact that they are known actors, the movie really feels authentic, apart the impossible camera shots of course. It makes me wonder about a version of this without any space exterior shots and changing the credits to something like the Cloverfield intro...

Thanks for posting, [MENTION=26241]SKYflix[/MENTION] and [MENTION=27350]Ken Poirier[/MENTION] :)

Thank you very much [MENTION=7682]dangermouse[/MENTION] for your review! Thanks for watching! :)

Back
Top Bottom