• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Apocalypse Now: The Re-Redux by JDubyew

oxm_madman said:
Yeah, that makes sense. Thankfully I finally managed to render a version of it in 720p yesterday with decent audio quality at around 5.2GB. I'll be commuting to my university campus today, so hopefully I can upload the entire thing whilst I'm working all day there. :)

I'll send off my submission form once it's uploaded and upload this post as well as the thread post when it's available. Feel free to PM me if you're interested in watching it once it's upped.

If you're at 5.2 GB you might see if you can make a render that ends up being small enough to fit on a DVD5. That way people can get the edit off their HDD without having to trash it.

If you don't feel like rendering again you could resize the mkv/mp4 with VidCoder.

reave said:
If you're at 5.2 GB you might see if you can make a render that ends up being small enough to fit on a DVD5. That way people can get the edit off their HDD without having to trash it.

If you don't feel like rendering again you could resize the mkv/mp4 with VidCoder.

Lucky you suggested that so quickly. I was going to upload it a few hours ago, but realized I forgot the USB stick with the edit once I got to the campus, so I'll try and re-encode the video with VidCoder.

How big should the .mp4 file be to fit on a DVD5?

Neglify said:
4.35 GB or smaller.

Very well. The video will be a little blurrier overall, but I suppose the full quality 1080p option will be out there soon. Again, I'll aim to upload it at my university campus tomorrow.

Ahhhhh, uploading at speeds of 7MBps is GLORIOUS! :-D I'm happy to say I managed to upload the 720p release of the edit in less than 20 minutes at university! I'll be submitting it for approval now, so if anyone wants to check it out urgently, feel free to PM me and I'll provide you with it.

Just to say, though, due to having to compress it to DVD5 size (4.3GB or less), I'm not entirely happy with the video quality. It's perfectly watchable, but the file ended up being slightly smaller than DVD5 size and it's a little unfocused and blurred overall. I'd recommend waiting for the 1080p release, which I will upload ASAP. If you really badly want to check it out though, I'll happily share the 720p links, but I see it as more of a workprint version than the fully-fledged release.

Hello, everyone! Been a while since I last posted an update on this fanedit, so I'll sum up what happened - life. I got some feedback on the edit having some qualms with the bad video quality of the final 720p file, which were totally valid. Since I was rendering using Sony Vegas' built-in engine, the final .mp4 file had a LOT of bad macroblocking that, at the time, I didn't see an issue with. Nonetheless, my plan was to re-do the edit from lossless sources, then re-render it using the traditional "render to lossless AVI then encode with an external encoder" process to get the video quality to a much higher value.

The problem? I just didn't find the time to do it until these last few weeks. The edit once again is fully complete, only this time I managed to edit the sound in 5.1 as suggested by some, and additionally the edit will be available in 720p and 1080p. I updated the first post in this thread with the previous clip taken from the new render of the edit so you guys can see how the image quality has improved. The only thing left to do is to upload the files to MEGA today and get some updated feedback on it, but I'm pretty confident the edit is 100% done this time around. PM me if any of you are interested to get early access to the edit, and I'll send you the links once it's up. :)

^ Good job! I did a screencap of both clips and it's night and day (Even with heavy Vimeo compression)...

17042813966_4975bc6b83_o.jpg

...I think being able to properly make out Sheen's chest hair, is an integral part of the AN experience ;-).

TM2YC said:
^ Good job! I did a screencap of both clips and it's night and day (Even with heavy Vimeo compression)...

...I think being able to properly make out Sheen's chest hair, is an integral part of the AN experience ;-).

Thank you! Glad to see the difference is as big as I hoped. :D

I shall be PMing you the link to the 720p file hopefully by tonight for approval. I focused on making sure it's pretty compressed compared to the 1080p file so people have the choice of a speedy download versus a quality one, though I made sure both files are equally great in terms of quality. The 720p file clocks in at about 3.3GB, whereas the 1080p one is closer to 8.5GB. I'm not a fan of big file sizes when it comes to fanedits either, so I tried to get the 1080p file to around 6.5-7GB at first, but it lead to some nasty macroblocking in dark scenes, so I left it as is to keep things as flawless as possible.

Got one new update for ya all: The edit is now available in 720p and 1080p! Feel free to PM me if you want to check it out, I feel like it's 100% complete and I'm entirely happy with the end product. Just waiting for some final approval from TM2YC before it gets added to the database and before I make any .dlc files.

This edit is approved :)...

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

If you've got any sense ;-), you already own the 'Apocalypse Now' Blu-Ray boxset with both cuts in glorious HD. But while you probably prefer the Theatrical Cut, you have to admit that the Redux has many things you enjoy. Now you dont have to choose :), because his edit sorts out that problem. It's basically the longer Redux-Cut without the French-Plantation scene (Which most find an unwelcome addition).

Check it out.

Awesome! Thanks for the approval, I'll submit it to the database as soon as I can and upload to info. In the meantime, once again PM me if you want to check it out.

(^Post edited) Please don't add URLs to where you are uploading your fanedits in the threads. Thanks. Check out the rules if you are unsure...

If this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

Apologies, won't do that in the future!

Glad I've finally got that first edit out of the way. Now I know the procedure it should help to make any more ambitious edits easier to get started on, though for the time being I have no ideas. Well, there is one... But I'll leave that for another thread. ;)

Thought I'd let you all know that the edit is now on the IFDB! Please write a review if you check out my edit and enjoy it, and feel free to share it with anyone else you think would be interested! :D

Back
Top Bottom