• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Anyone know about VM commands

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi,

I'm currently finishing off a DVD for a Superman II fanedit. I'll be submitting it to fanedit.org shortly.

Unfortunately I'm having some trouble getting my menu to work as I want it to. I need some info on how to make it so the first cell of my root menu is skipped whenever the main menu is selected. This should then mean that the intro to the DVD is only played once, and not every time you return to the main menu.

I've looked all over the net for a guide with no look, and nothing I've read in the help for DVDlab Pro has made it click for me.

So if there are any programming wizards out there who know how this works have any advice I'd be very grateful.

create the intro as a seperate menu. then change all pointers to the intro (end of movie etc.) to the main menu instead.

dvdlab1.jpg

Goto connections screen then right click>then click on draw connections, then connect first play to movie 1(intro), then connect movie 1(intro) to root menu, then when the dvd first plays it will start at the intro then goto the menu.

Thanks a lot for the speedy and inforative responses. I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes!

Edit: I've given it a quick test and it unfortunately results in a skip when transitioning between the intro and menu video. I'd like to avoid this and I'm sure it's possible. Apparently the skipping can be avoided using cells, anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers guys.

I am taking a blind shot here since I do not use dvdlabpro

if the menu and the content are in the same domain (ex VTS Title set 1), then you can do this

create a post command for what you movie will do after it plays.

the command would be a jump/call and should be something like this

call VTS menu
menu type# 3 (3 is usually the root menu)
resume cell# 2 (now by adding this you are telling it to go to the root menu but play cell# 2 which if you have it similarly laid out should skip your intro and go straight to the desired menu

Thanks for the response Tranzor.

I've had a try with vm commands assigned to either the end of the movie or the buttons I want to link back to cell 2. None of which have worked so far.

I'll post a screen when I get in from work so you can see what I did. Maybe from that someone can see where I'm going wrong.

Cheers

I tried adding a post command to the movie, "CallSS VTSM (menu ROOT, rsm_cell 2)"

And I did the same to all the buttons that lead to the main menu.

I copied the command that DVDlab had generated and changed the cell number, and it produces no error report, so I thought I'd cracked it.

Unfortunately, when played in power dvd and vlc the command to the movie has no effect. In powerdvd the buttons to the main menu don't work at all, in vlc they link back to cell 1 of the main menu.

I'm stumped.

booshman said:
Hi,

I'm currently finishing off a DVD for a Superman II fanedit. I'll be submitting it to fanedit.org shortly.

Unfortunately I'm having some trouble getting my menu to work as I want it to. I need some info on how to make it so the first cell of my root menu is skipped whenever the main menu is selected. This should then mean that the intro to the DVD is only played once, and not every time you return to the main menu.

I've looked all over the net for a guide with no look, and nothing I've read in the help for DVDlab has made it click for me.

So if there are any programming wizards out there who know how this works have any advice I'd be very grateful.
instead of making it several cells, make it several menus. Let the intro be in a vmg menu and you main menu a vts menu. No commands needed. I don't think you can jump to a specific menu cell with dvd lab pro.

Pretty much what I said at the top of the thread.

Yeah, I'm sure this would lead to a skip during playback too.

I've found a workaround for my dual layer release. I made a dulpicate menu, without the intro, and I've linked everything other than first play that. So if left idle the menu including intro will loop properly with the cells I set up. But if the movie ends or you hit "main menu" at any point you get redirected to the duplicate.

It takes up more space this way, but it works, so I'm happy with it.

Unfortunatlely for my SL release I won't have the space, so I'm going to keep at it, but it may have to stay as is.

You could well be right about how possible this is in DVDlab Boon, here's the entry in the help that led me to believe otherwise.

"Faster switching even between non-seamless cells within one PGC (cells with VM command)
This is not much of an issue in the modern players, since modern players have much faster VM command interpreters and that means even normal menus should switch rather quickly. But in theory the cell-to-cell should be faster than menu-to-menu because there is only one line of VM Command on cell, but there can be many lines of commands on menus."

I am glad you found a workaround for your problem. I was basing my command info I gave you on what I can do with dvdremakepro

I know Dvdlabpro offers many interesting commands (and slightly different layout with them) so I was not sure how well or if the same commands would translate over exactly

Either way kudos to getting it worked out

Wel I did cheat in the end really, but cheers for your help.

If I end up finding a way to do it with VM commands I'll post here incase it's of se to someone later.

Back
Top Bottom