• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Anyone have experience altering dialogue pitch?

Ogretissimo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I'm trying to change a VO track from a male voice to a female voice. What I have now sounds pretty good, but it's resting on the line between female voice and preteen boy voice (to me anyway), and the audio isn't terribly clean. I'm hoping to nudge the final result a little closer to a convincing female voice, and maybe hopefully have it sound better too.

Here's a Soundcloud link that features the original VO and my modified version:

https://soundcloud.com/ogretissimo/pitchtest/s-W1Kwt

Below are the effects and settings I used in Final Cut Pro X to create each version:

Original Dialogue Track
Effects:
- Denoiser

Modified Track
Effects:
- Denoiser
- Vocal Transformer (Pitch: 16, Formant: 2.0-2.5, Mix [%]: 100)
VocalTransformer.png

- Remove Low Frequencies (Preset: Normal, Amount: 100)
RemoveLowFreq.png

- Mud Removal (Preset: Remove Bass, Amount: 100)
MudRemoval.png

In an ideal world, there would be some kind of (free!?) plugin that would allow me to set some kind of pitch profile for the VO and have everything change to match the profile. In my head an Autotune plugin could make sense, but the one I experimented with (MAutoPitch from MeldaProduction) was nowhere near as effective as the Vocal Transformer plugin.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could more convincingly change the VO to a female voice on a Mac?

If I'm honest, the "after" is so garbled and processed you'd probably do better to just get a female friend to record the dialogue for you.

Uncanny Antman said:
If I'm honest, the "after" is so garbled and processed...
Agreed. That's why I'm looking for another solution! :)
Uncanny Antman said:
...you'd probably do better to just get a female friend to record the dialogue for you.
Having a female friend record the VO makes sense, and at the very least would provide a better starting point for whatever vocal transformation I'd need to do.

Yeah, that sound clip from Primer has distortion on it to begin with (the same kind of distortion that makes guitars sound cool) and adding more effects processing after the distortion has already been applied only brings the noise more to the surface and buries the actual voice. I completely agree with Uncanny.

And maybe it leads to sexy time...

Didn't listen to clip, so hopefully that wasn't too inappropriate.

If you are trying to replace the voice of the film's female actress, have you tried looking for a clip of audio with that actress in another film? I don't know how long the dialog you need is or who you are replacing, so I can't give any further advice personally. Good luck with it.

From listening to that clip I would suggest having a female record the dialogue. Alternately, I would suggest trying some of the pitch shifting plug-ins in Audacity.

Back
Top Bottom