• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Anyone else feels kinda disappointed of how most content from streaming services aren't getting a blu-ray and DVD release?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...and another thing....

The conversion of video standards is absolutely awful!!!

I'm tired of seeing video whiuch shows that framerate conversions have not been done correctly leading to a strobbing when cameras pan left to right or vice versa...and this is on things like TREK, OZARK, Stranger Things even Madalorian and Kenobi....I mean, what gives...? These are suppose to be professional outfits with acces to the best kit AND trained operators...if many of these productions were fanedits, they would be getting 7/8s on the AV scores frankly....

There are also mis-interlaced issues so you get ghost framing on pausses which also leads to a softer picture...left and right chanels are sometimes reversed...you get banding on dark scenes with graded backgrounds....I mean the list just goes on and on...

Anyone else noticed this..?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don’t know how it all compares in other countries to the US. But you could pay for ALL the streaming services and still pay less than a basic plus cable TV package in the States. I think people mostly want to do things legally and streaming is the best solution for that. I get that physical collection thing as I’m like that with music. But most people don’t collect movies. They watch them once. The exception being a few franchise films and kids movies. Despite the popularity of Marvel and Star Wars, I’d wager the majority of Disney Plus subscribers subscribe for kids content. I wouldn’t subscribe to Disney if not for my kids. I agree with Wraith that some consolidation is inevitable, but that will likely come with a higher subscription rate. I doubt overall prices will ever come down for subscribers. My concern is what these new models will do to the industry. We already see franchises and known tent poles getting all the movie theater business with more “serious” fare left to the independents. Just like how streaming services like Spotify largely slowed illegal downloads of music, I see less pirating if content is able to be streamed close to release dates. But for smaller musicians, there was no longer any revenue in recorded music. Now they must make money through touring and other means. What will that look like for smaller, independent films? 🤷‍♂️ I liked that I could see a lot of smaller movies last year on our streaming services while there was still a conversation happening about them. I saw all the Oscar nominated films in the major categories before the ceremony. I’ve never done that before. Again, I think streaming is a problem for niche audiences (those who collect, those who fan edit, and those who want only the very best quality). Most of the audience does not fall into those categories.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don’t know how it all compares in other countries to the US. But you could pay for ALL the streaming services and still pay less than a basic plus cable TV package in the States.
This! I analyzed my options last summer and the conclusion was obvious. Cutting the cord and switching to YouTube TV for the basics plus my preferred selection of services cut my bill by over half.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't own every Star Wars thing ever, but I totally would have bought both seasons of "The Mandalorian" if they had been made available.

"Stranger Things" Season 1 and 2 were available on home media, but I already saw them. Then we dropped Netflix, expecting that we could get Season 3 eventually, but it never got released. And since Netflix wants my business back, they have no incentive to let it or the current Season 4 get a physical release.

I'm with Moe in that I don't feel the need to own everything, but it is frustrating when one doesn't even have the option.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can easily picture D+ reaching a point where it has enough Star Wars/MCU content that they figure they'd make more money selling individual Blu-ray seasons than they'd lose in terms of skipped subscriptions. Will it ever happen? Who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Baenwort

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think so. Netflix has a DVD/BD disc arm and they don't produce all their content on disc to rent on their own service!

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...yet Paramount will be releasing the classic trek movies on 4K discs and new BDs in the fall (including STTMP Directors edition) despite it also being a tentpole for their P+ service...do they know something D+ don't?

It's all very inconistent...I guess we will have to wait for the data, not that they publish much...

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel so underwhelmed of how many shows don't have a single blu-ray or DVD release
I think the reason this genuinely upsets me, as a professional editor, is that Blu-Rays actually are better quality than streaming.

Like, it's not just a rose-tinted glasses enamorment with physical releases, they actually are better quality than streaming even when played at the exact same resolution. That's why the physical disc market for movies hasn't died out, in the way it has for music or is starting to for video games.

To save file space, streaming services compress the video to a lower bitrate than is correct for the codec it was shot on; basically adding noise where it wasn't before, by de-sharpening the detail. So you are actually seeing the film in sharper quality on a Blu-Ray print, even when played at the same resolution as a streaming print of the exact same film.

(It's also why most studios still haven't fully opted out of physical releases either, as they recognize the market value in having the best possible quality available to customers who want it. Essentially they've got discs -- to cater to quality video file lovers 00 and they've got streaming -- to cater to those who like convenience).

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So you are actually seeing the film in sharper quality on a Blu-Ray print,
YUP!!!!!!!!!!

I have had a blu Ray running in parallel to watching a film steaming and flicked between them and it is VERY noticeable indeed....
Are you able to shed any light on the sloppy conversion standards leading to this visual stuttering on panning shots?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have had a blu Ray running in parallel to watching a film steaming and flicked between them and it is VERY noticeable indeed....
Are you able to shed any light on the sloppy conversion standards leading to this visual stuttering on panning shots?
Streaming will always be compressed at a higher rate.

Are you talking about dvd era shows stuttering or new shows? What are the settings on your screen? These modern TV's struggle with movement and if you don't have some level of smoothing on it usually has a bit of a shake to it.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Streaming will always be compressed at a higher rate.

Are you talking about dvd era shows stuttering or new shows? What are the settings on your screen? These modern TV's struggle with movement and if you don't have some level of smoothing on it usually has a bit of a shake to it.
I have my TV with all settings OFF...NO smooting, no DNR, no enhaced anything.

The strobbing (more of a drop frame actually) is caused by converting video or film at the wrong frame rates etc...and it is becoming more common...We see it sometimes on fanedit...HECK its happened to me when I have have misripped or mis rendered at the wrong settings...My original version of Fatal Attraction had that issue. BUt these are suppose to be professionals who are qualified. I know soeone who for a period had to vet video for a major streaming service and did the quality assurance on the work that was submitted to them. He was rejecting over 30% of what was being provided by the owners since its was at the wrong standard...and I'm not just referring to frame rate. And then you get the banding on color gradients, voice sync issues, shots in the wrong aspect ratio (stretched 4:3 to 16:9 in the middle of a 16:9 show) and so it goes on...and on and on...Is it just me?

Then again, I'm one of those who notices when a flipped shot of a sped up sunset or sunrise is used, and the sun moves incorrectly from right to left......

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One also needs to bear in mind that there are only so many times that people will re-watch content on services...this will add pressure to maintaining new content production as people cancel subscriptions for 9 months, allow content to build, re-subscribe, binge for 8 weeks and cancel. en-masse this will hit revenues hard...at that point, either the streamers wil try to lock people in for minimum contracts with a slight discount, and thus thr rot begins. Production statrts to cut back as revenues start to fall. Co-productions and mergers then follow and THEN in pursuit for cash, DISCS will appear. By that point many collectores may have either mentally moved on or concluded that much of the content is just factory production ...with only flashes of artistic vision and creativity...

I saw the New THOR last night...and MCU is now wearing me out. The originality is diminishing, and it was at its best when people were speaking, not when the pixels were flying....This wave of superheroes is starting to feel...well, tired!

The same will happen with streaming...though it may take a few years to set in.

Paramount is releasing discs...despite P+....My order for STTMP three version ltd edition has been placed...I won't pay for P+, and D+ I shall cancel as soon as Im done with Obiwan. Once Andor is fully up, Jump in watch, exit.

esloudan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I swear companies stopping physical sales is opening a hole for backmarket and piracy. Like at the dirt mall in my neighborhood they selling stranger things bluray sets and other netflix shows. If people buying these it shows there is a market for it. My gripe is when u by a digital copy ur limited to how u play it. Also in the terms and agreement on Amazon it says u only get a license to play it not own it and can be taken at any time.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I swear companies stopping physical sales is opening a hole for backmarket and piracy. Like at the dirt mall in my neighborhood they selling stranger things bluray sets and other netflix shows. If people buying these it shows there is a market for it. My gripe is when u by a digital copy ur limited to how u play it. Also in the terms and agreement on Amazon it says u only get a license to play it not own it and can be taken at any time.
That's why I dont buy music digitally unless its an outright download with no DRM...technically many films... you are leasing them... read the small print...

It's a disgrace but heck, they pull the strings...

I won't belly ache my major bugbear which is CULTURAL SHRINKAGE....coz Ive written about it a few times...short version, films of merit which are older will whither into obscurity. Porgy and Bess may be lost for good, as is The Alamo...

Last edited:

esloudan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another great thing about physical copies is the fan edits get made and legally watch. Im behind on a few reviews I gotta. They been quite a few kicking up my teen years on this old man lol.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently without internet, and it's now that l recognize more than ever just how important physical releases are. I'm probably one of like, 10 people who bought the dvd release of Titans, and l'm grateful that it got such a release. I was really looking forward to Obi Wan, but now that it's out l'm suddenly in a position where l won't get the chance to watch it anytime soon, and with disney being disney l don't even have a physical release to look forward to.

valra

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, it's really annoying. Even popular TV shows like Succession no longer get a Blu Ray release for the later seasons. I guess the demand for physical media has decreased to a point were it no longer justifies the production costs. Most people probably just watch their movies and TV shows once on a streaming service and then move on to the next thing. And to be honest, if it weren’t for fan-editing, I would do the same.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not even for a fan editing purpose, but as a collector I hate it. On the plus side, a Netflix film will never leave Netflix, on the flip side I’d very much like to see deleted scenes and some special features from those exclusive movies that I liked.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not even for a fan editing purpose, but as a collector I hate it. On the plus side, a Netflix film will never leave Netflix, on the flip side I’d very much like to see deleted scenes and some special features from those exclusive movies that I liked.
Netflix Marvel stuff left Netflix.

Top Bottom