• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Anyone else feels kinda disappointed of how most content from streaming services aren't getting a blu-ray and DVD release?

A new digital world is coming...digital media, digital cash, digital IDs. Unless something drastic happens, this is the future. Buy physical discs while you can. I think they will eventually be phased out; the younger generations don't care.
Younger generation here, I care... But I'd agree with that generalization nonetheless. Still though, I think it's becoming the general public who doesn't care, regardless of generation. I've seen my dad buy movies digitally that he already owns otherwise, just because he didn't feel like looking for his physical copy at the time.

This is going to be a real problem for myself and anyone else who loves practical-focused action movies in particular. For example, there's a new film called The Princess, released at the beginning of July on Disney+ in the UK and on Hulu in the US (don't know about anywhere else). This is what actually inspired me to look into how to do editing, because the reviews aren't great for it, but I really don't think it would take much work to fix it.

I think just a simple chronological reorder (rather than flashbacks) and some light dialogue editing to remove the focus on the Princess having "a warrior's heart" in favour of just letting the 'a woman can't be the ruler or heir so she has to marry' and 'women shouldn't be allowed to fight' messages to shine through. It's a simple message, and setting it up at the beginning and then leading into a series of awesome fight scenes would keep the simplicity of the film and let the action be the story rather than punctuate the flashbacks and the arguments between the King and the usurper.

Of course, none of this is possible, because there won't be a physical release (at least of this film, there's a physical release of a film with the same name planned for later this year but it's just a Princess Diana documentary instead).
I did a (rough) edit of The Princess for myself recently where I consolidated most of the flashbacks as a kind of functional dream sequence/exposition dump and slotted it between the opening shot of the castle/the Princess' bedroom and when she finally wakes up. Obviously, the one where her life flashes before her eyes while she's struggling underwater stayed put. Not having to keep stopping for flashbacks definitely helped the pacing so much! You're also right that the dialogue is overall kind of messy. There's a lot of repetition of stuff that was already said where it would've made so much more sense to just edit it out or do new dialogue entirely.

But yes, a film like that definitely would be better served by a traditional physical release, even if it had just gone direct-to-video.

Last edited:
I’m old fashioned, so I like to have the books, movies and music I like to be sitting on my bookshelves. Some of the items might increase in value after some time, so when I’m tired of one of them, I can make a few bucks.

So no, I’m not happy with the way things are moving from owning to renting. Goes for a lot of software too. Would have loved to own the new Hellraiser and all seasons of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, but instead I have to keep paying monthly dues if I want to see them again… Guess the people in the high towers make more money this way.

Would have loved to own the new Hellraiser
This 💯, I am a huge Hellraiser fan, I have all films (even the crappy ones), I have the original Hellbound Heart book and The Scarlet Gospel, and tons of comic books. It kills me to not be able to possess an official physical copy of David Bruckner's Reboot.

if everybody quit paying the streaming fees, we might get actual dvd/blu ray/4k releases. personally, i have started cancelling all my streaming accounts. i have enough movies and tv shows sitting on my shelves to keep me busy for awhile along with the few broadcast tv shows i watch. i had disney for star wars and marvel but looks like it will be awhile before any shows come out. i have hbo max for titans and doom patrol so as soon as those are over with the new seasons hbo goes. amc+ was cancelled after the finale of walking dead. peacock gets cancelled after tonight's wwe survivor series because im burned out on wwe. the only one i will keep is prime video since i pay for and use prime shipping for things i buy from amazon. i figure i will save about $40 a month cancelling everything and just waiting on blu ray releases or using my son's disney if any new shows come out i want to see.

This 💯, I am a huge Hellraiser fan, I have all films (even the crappy ones), I have the original Hellbound Heart book and The Scarlet Gospel, and tons of comic books. It kills me to not be able to possess an official physical copy of David Bruckner's Reboot.
I couldn't agree more. Of all Hellraisers, I think I like Bruckner's best. You can feel the magic of Barker in the new reboot (although he didn't write or direct). Haven't read the books though...

I couldn't agree more. Of all Hellraisers, I think I like Bruckner's best. You can feel the magic of Barker in the new reboot (although he didn't write or direct). Haven't read the books though...

I preferred Hellraiser 1 & 2 and Inferno tbh, but the reboot comes right after.

The books are great, The Scarlet Gospel is a crossover between Hellraiser and Harry D'Amour, who had his own movie (Lord of Illusions).

I preferred Hellraiser 1 & 2 and Inferno tbh, but the reboot comes right after.

The books are great, The Scarlet Gospel is a crossover between Hellraiser and Harry D'Amour, who had his own movie (Lord of Illusions).
... which I also enjoyed :) Sounds good, those books go on my reading list. Thanks!

Not really, none of it is stuff that gives me that fuzzy feeling of ownership. Honestly, even Pixar movies nowadays don't seen worth purchasing.

ALSO: I think it's getting a bit rediculous with streaming services. We have, what? 5 or more services available now? But there is really only one giant music streaming service (spotify). Meanwhile we ALSO need to purchase physical content? Sorry, but no lol. I only buy movies on disc that I think is legendary level good like one flew over the cuckoo's nest for example, or Hara-Kiri. If something isn't on a streaming service I don't buy it, to be honest. I think having 5 paid subscribtion's SHOULD cover everything there is. That's the equivalent of buying like 5 DVD's monthy.

Netflix, Amazon, Disney, HBO, Sky, it's just getting silly.

Also: 4K content really isn't worth purchasing either. That Lord of the Rings release with the INSULTING DNR smeared all over it. I also feel like it's done on purpose. "We can't give customers a valid 4k movie, because we all know 8K is redundant, really. So how will we exploit their wallets if we give them something that's pretty definitive?" "Oh, I know! Let's make a movie release with terrific colors, but with a ugly DNR SMEAR all over it so people will also have to buy the next non-DNR release in 8K (Which will then obviously have bad colors again because why not right lol)"

At least they don't botch up ALL the 4k releases. But it hurts that they do us dirty like this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom